10235 - Winter Village Market

Huskers1236

I agree, it looks like it was selling poorly and I believe it was glucapg who stated TLG had a warehouse full of these and it would make a comeback.

Maybe it'll keep popping up all over the place, even after retirement, much as the 10216 Winter Village Bakery did.

Guest TabbyBoy

This was DEFINITELY a "Retired Product" in the UK and it has also appeared here with a limit of 5.  I remember saying a few months ago that Lego may be unretiring sets and it's happened!  If they want to kill off resellsers, this is the way to do it.  The Fire Brigade may be the next set to return?

Our game has changed, it's now in the timing not in the waiting when it comes to selling.

The seal codes on 10235 now would be interesting.

Just an FYI, all the Markets I have bought this fall have had '13 codes on them.  I'm not sure they made another run for this holiday season and are just moving out what didn't sell last year.  Maybe somebody can prove me wrong with new codes, but I have not seen any yet and have received them from LEGO Shop at Home and Amazon.  I that's the case, could sell out soon and be much lower stocked than the others. 

AFAIK, this has been the only WV set to not go out of stock after the holiday season in the US and it's very possible they didn't make a bunch more after seeing poor sales in its initial run. 

I'm just theorizing right now, if there are '14 codes that you have seen, I have wasted time typing.

I'll check the three I picked up early last month to check...I like your line of thinking, though.

This was DEFINITELY a "Retired Product" in the UK and it has also appeared here with a limit of 5.  I remember saying a few months ago that Lego may be unretiring sets and it's happened!  If they want to kill off resellsers, this is the way to do it.  The Fire Brigade may be the next set to return?

Our game has changed, it's now in the timing not in the waiting when it comes to selling.

I'll believe the FB returning when I see it...

Guest TabbyBoy

I'll believe the FB returning when I see it...

If they unretire 10235 they can unretire anything and there's nothing any of us can do about it.  All they have to do is look at eBay selling prices and say, "Wow, let's get the moulds out of the dumpster and set the line going again as there even more money to be made."  Speculation of course but, nothing will surprise me now.  What if 10179 came back for the new movie?  This will mean carnage.

Don't let people here you say that. You keep those sets 8 years wether it makes sense or not!

• Like 1

So I was browsing S @ **** and noticed this set only has 2.7 rating. I read through some of the comments and was just :shocked: by the amount of 1 brick ratings. Do you guys take S @ **** ratings into consideration when buying sets ?

I just took at look, and find 4.1 bricks. ??? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Brick ratings mean little to me when a set is part of an ongoing theme. Collectors will want, want, want.

I bet a lot of people would be pretty happy if 10179 would make a return.

For investors that bought the set in 2007 of course there will be a huge loss but I would say all in all they had quite some opportunities and I don't see how they cannot sell those sets at least for the retail price. Anyhow those would be the losers in that scenario.

But A LOT of fans and new investors would probably benefit from it.

Even the old investors will load up some of them I bet!

So returning after 8 years wouldn't be all bad. BUT!!! The day will come when LEGO does no longer hold the licence and at that point they will nolonger bring out those sets.

Of course there are some sets that could possibly be cool for a comeback but why should LEGO do that? I don't see how investors are such a pain in the ass for LEGO. How exactly are they/we?

LEGO battle of HD returning? unlikely... black pearl returning? unlikely... as for some Star Wars Sets yeah... they might return.

Modulars returning? I don't see it. They might of course bring back a newer version of those eventually. But even then the old ones might hold some value for collectors.

I don't know about all this talk of WVM having been retired... And I don't care. At some point it will retire and won't come back. LEGO needs to come up with new ideas because if they don't they will stagnate. At some point just every set is done.

Guest TabbyBoy

I appreciate all your comments and thoughts but "unretirement" is ringing alarm bells in my head.  I could've shifted my stash of 10325 for double-bubble last week and now I have to wait a lot longer.

Mack's & Emazers... What are your thoughts?  Is this a declaration of war on us? ;-)

Rant over, toys now back in the pram.

I appreciate all your comments and thoughts but "unretirement" is ringing alarm bells in my head.  I could've shifted my stash of 10325 for double-bubble last week and now I have to wait a lot longer.

Mack's & Emazers... What are your thoughts?  Is this a declaration of war on us? ;-)

Rant over, toys now back in the pram.

IMHO, it's not a sign of TLG policies changing. WV sets are known to be in the market for 2 holiday seasons and the WVM had been out only for one. It is also known that these WV sets are not sold in the EU from LEGO Shop at Home from February/March until October. What I'm not clear, as I don't remember, is if previous sets had been labeled as 'Retired' during the pause.

I would not lose any sleep over this, maybe they didn't have a status that stated something like 'This set is not available until further notice' and just took the easy way out.

Guest TabbyBoy

M4x18... I admire your optimism

The set has also been readily available in store at John Lewis, more or less all year

Not in the Reading branch even though they did have a Fire Brigade in a battered box a few months back.

The set has also been readily available in store at John Lewis, more or less all year

Ha, had I known that and I wouldn't have asked a friend to go through the trouble of bringing me one from the US.

With the USD appreciation and sales tax, it ended costing me a little over retail.

Not only that but I'm pretty sure the other residents of my winter village don't speak English... 

Just an FYI, all the Markets I have bought this fall have had '13 codes on them.  I'm not sure they made another run for this holiday season and are just moving out what didn't sell last year.  Maybe somebody can prove me wrong with new codes, but I have not seen any yet and have received them from LEGO Shop at Home and Amazon.  I that's the case, could sell out soon and be much lower stocked than the others. 

AFAIK, this has been the only WV set to not go out of stock after the holiday season in the US and it's very possible they didn't make a bunch more after seeing poor sales in its initial run. 

I'm just theorizing right now, if there are '14 codes that you have seen, I have wasted time typing.

Dropped by one of the local TRU and there they were, high and proud, seal codes 31S4!

Was not expecting that.

Dropped by one of the local TRU and there they were, high and proud, seal codes 31S4!

Was not expecting that.

That doesn't completely surprise me for the EU as you actually went Sold Out/Retired.  It never went out of stock here in the States.  I honestly think they just made a mistake on calling it Retired over there instead of Sold Out and removing it from the board until the next holiday season, but that's just a guess.  I'm not that big of a conspiracy theorist, though.

• Like 1

IMHO, it's not a sign of TLG policies changing. WV sets are known to be in the market for 2 holiday seasons and the WVM had been out only for one. It is also known that these WV sets are not sold in the EU from LEGO Shop at Home from February/March until October. What I'm not clear, as I don't remember, is if previous sets had been labeled as 'Retired' during the pause.

I would not lose any sleep over this, maybe they didn't have a status that stated something like 'This set is not available until further notice' and just took the easy way out.

At the beginning of this thread I have already given my explanation for why they tag it as retired, the winter cottage "retired" February last year before coming back Oct/Nov. Winter sets always get 2 seasons, didn't understand the confusion then and I still don't now.

Sales of these sets crawl like a one legged dog outside winter.