10235 - Winter Village Market

Huskers1236

I am pretty convinced that I may very well be the only person who actually likes this set. I don't know. It's just a fun design with a bunch of things to do much like the Fairground Mixer. I will admit I do not have a whole lot of original ideas for a Winter Village myself but I thought this set is a nice one and even a little not so clich

I don't think WVM is going to make it to October.  It's already retired across Europe.  Lego has gone a little nuts with how they handle this theme.  I mean, why not hold back inventory during the Spring and Summer, then make it available in the Fall and Winter, when the set is actually in season?  Or -- gasp -- make more of them, so they last through two Christmases?  Anyway, I'm boycotting the entire theme out of annoyance with Lego's inventory management.

Winter Village sets are proven winners. You can argue piece counts, weights, box size...whatever, but you know year in and year out these sets will outperform many other LEGO themes and will make investors and resellers money. Are there better choices...YES, but it is an easy choice for people who dabble in the LEGO secondary market and want "guaranteed" profits. They are cute and creative sets with somewhat limited production runs, so what else does an investor want?

IMO when people say something is "guaranteed" or even "safe" investment it usually has very little profit to be made, may even carries big risk in some cases.

Often, its the very perception (of safe investment) makes it unsafe, since it makes people over buy it.

Real estate in the US during 2004 - 07 comes to mind.

BTW I don't disagree with your opinion about the WVM at all. Just want to share my thoughts on "guarranteed investments".

Edited by legone

IMO when people say something is "guaranteed" or even "safe" investment it usually has very little profit to be made, may even carries big risk in some cases.

Often, its the very perception (of safe investment) makes it unsafe, since people overbuys it.

what do you consider overbuying? any lego set out there that has potential of being a good investment is overbought!!! can you name a set that hasnt been overbought?

With the Market lasting here in the States through the year, I would highly doubt that Lego made a full batch of these like in Fall 2013.  I agree with about everybody else in that this in not my favorite of the WV series, but not buying for that reason will only enhance it's value when it has been undersold and is gone.  Completionists will always need to have the entire series. 

i personally don't think resellers will be running after 10235 WMV. why because its been around for more than a year. i remember buying few last year november/december.  i am pretty sure there is massive stockpile from last year hanging around. plus @ around ~99->130 this set is ranked(#18308) lower than ~$700 super star  destroyer 10221(15952). meaning this would be lot harder to move. no point in hoarding it unless one want pallet full of these in the stockroom.

i also don't think this would appreciate too much. but again its my personal view.

Edited by newbie77

i personally don't think resellers will be running after 10235 WMV. why because its been around for more than a year. i remember buying few last year november/december.  i am pretty sure there is massive stockpile from last year hanging around. plus @ around ~99->130 this set is ranked(#18308) lower than ~$700 super star  destroyer 10221(15952). meaning this would be lot harder to move. no point in hoarding it unless one want pallet full of these in the stockroom.

i also don't think this would appreciate too much. but again its my personal view.

I think it is going to fare better than you think.

It is a seasonal sale set and therefore will start spiking soon for Christmas.

The SSD is year round and just had lots of frenzy sales for it.

Also WVM just came out in October 2013 so it is almost 1 year old.

That being said I think the Santa workshop set is far above this one.

I called LEGO Shop at Home the other day.

While they are about the only place with 10235 they have about 2,000 on hand.

With a limit of 2 per household and it sounded like they are not moving that fast they should be here to buy in October and get the holiday set.

It also makes me think that even though Europe is getting a restock I think the US will not and this is it.

I'll buy some of WVM, but a lot more of the workshop.

The market makes the winter village town center in the photos that were posted but a post office or cottage it is not.

Spoken like a true reseller, trying to corner the market for yourself? :taunt:  Swarm! Swarm!

• Like 1

I think it is going to fare better than you think.

It is a seasonal sale set and therefore will start spiking soon for Christmas.

The SSD is year round and just had lots of frenzy sales for it.

Also WVM just came out in October 2013 so it is almost 1 year old.

That being said I think the Santa workshop set is far above this one.

I called LEGO Shop at Home the other day.

While they are about the only place with 10235 they have about 2,000 on hand.

With a limit of 2 per household and it sounded like they are not moving that fast they should be here to buy in October and get the holiday set.

It also makes me think that even though Europe is getting a restock I think the US will not and this is it.

I'll buy some of WVM, but a lot more of the workshop.

The market makes the winter village town center in the photos that were posted but a post office or cottage it is not.

thank you for validating my statement in a different way. you can look for yourself with regard to performance of past "winter *" series

winter village post-office: http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=10222-1

winter village cottage: http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=10229-1

they are completely seasonal and looks like barely doubles @ 2years...

Spoken like a true reseller, trying to corner the market for yourself? :taunt:  Swarm! Swarm!

:rofl:  even with only 2000 sets available that's $200,000 in one single set :D

first of all, i don't have that much capital :P if i had do you think i would he here in the forum posting :P LOL

secondly, i am not a loony-bin :P ...

anyway.. my personal thinking is there are better ROI @ this moment and some sets just flies off the shelf !!!! trust me its not WMV.

Edited by newbie77

thank you for validating my statement in a different way. you can look for yourself with regard to performance of past "winter *" series

winter village post-office: http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=10222-1

winter village cottage: http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=10229-1

they are completely seasonal and looks like barely doubles @ 2years...

:rofl:  even with only 2000 sets available that's $200,000 in one single set :D

first of all, i don't have that much capital :P if i had do you think i would he here in the forum posting :P LOL

secondly, i am not a loony-bin :P ...

anyway.. my personal thinking is there are better ROI @ this moment and some sets just flies off the shelf !!!! trust me its not WMV.

Well, the Cottage went EOL just this past Christmas, and I guarantee will be selling above $200 before this Christmas.  100% ROI in one year if you're selling them already.  Not many sets can say that. 

Some won't buy 10235, some will. You can't buy them all and you can't believe in them all.  I don't personally like the set, but I will buy more of them, simple as that.  I'm glad not everybody likes it.

I'm holding out for the WVSSD.  My sources at Lego just gave me an exclusive sneak peek at this holiday season's second Winter Village release, and it's pretty amazing.  On the box, you can see the reindeer-powered, snow-speckled WVSSD suspended above the Winter Village, raining down festive red and green turbolaser bolts on the holiday revelers below...