10235 - Winter Village Market

Huskers1236

I agree but there is something not quite right with WVM. It is enough to give me very long pause every time I want to buy one.

...yeah, it's called a questionable designed set.  lt's my least fav set in the theme.  so let's say it does 1/2 of what the other sets are doing.  that is still pretty darn good.

This set seems like 6 poly bags put together as one.

I would also vote this set to be the less desirable one from this theme.

However, if it is retiring after only 1 year, then its definately worth picking some up.

• Like 1

Both 10229 and 10235 have 8-9 figs, 10229 has a snowplow truck, a craftsman's shed and an igloo, about comparable to the three market stands in 10235?  So is the Carousel equivalent to the Cottage? I think 10229 will do well this christmas and those to follow, cause where is santa gonna deliver those presents. The market, post office or bakery, not the toy shop surely.

Both 10229 and 10235 have 8-9 figs, 10229 has a snowplow truck, a craftsman's shed and an igloo, about comparable to the three market stands in 10235?  So is the Carousel equivalent to the Cottage? I think 10229 will do well this christmas and those to follow, cause where is santa gonna deliver those presents. The market, post office or bakery, not the toy shop surely.

Wanted to say "to Research Institute", which made me realize that there is no actual building. Which lead to thinking that maybe that is where Lego could take research Institute to - Scientific Modulars.

Lego never had anything that could be even remotely counted as "Campus" for your Lego City setup, right?

Edited by No More Monkeys

...and with Lego seemingly trying to downsize these winter sets to make them more affordable, 10235 and 10229 are by far the largest sets in this theme.

The problem is they're downsizing the sets without making them more affordable.  So 10235 is .7 pounds lighter than 10229, for the same MSRP.  Awesome!  After many years of relatively stable pricing (per piece or per pound), Lego has become much more aggressive in the last few years.  I still can't get over the 30% price hike in what is basically the exact same SD as several years ago.  I hope the Federal Reserve heavily weights Lego pricing in their inflation models (Lego totally belongs right alongside owner equivalent rent and medical care in core CPI).

Also, while 10229 has done fine, current profit per set is around $40 if they were purchased at retail (assuming sales tax of ~10%, but no shipping charge, and roughly $20 eBay + PayPal fees on a $170 sale).  That meets my criteria for success (or rather, I hope and assume it will by Christmas), but it won't satisfy anyone looking for 100% annual returns.

Edited by GhostDad

The problem is they're downsizing the sets without making them more affordable.  So 10235 is .7 pounds lighter than 10229, for the same MSRP.  Awesome!  After many years of relatively stable pricing (per piece or per pound), Lego has become much more aggressive in the last few years.  I still can't get over the 30% price hike in what is basically the exact same SD as several years ago.  I hope the Federal Reserve heavily weights Lego pricing in their inflation models (Lego totally belongs right alongside owner equivalent rent and medical care in core CPI).

Also, while 10229 has done fine, current profit per set is around $40 if they were purchased at retail (assuming sales tax of ~10%, but no shipping charge, and roughly $20 eBay + PayPal fees on a $170 sale).  That meets my criteria for success (or rather, I hope and assume it will by Christmas), but it won't satisfy anyone looking for 100% annual returns.

i wouldn't suggest comparing 10229 to 10235 when mentioned downsizing. 

instead compare 10235 to the first 3 sets as they are smaller (the # of elements, minifigs, etc) for a shot in the dark ROI % estimate. 

in basic conversations about ROI, many folks exclude fees as not everyone pays the same.  e.g. my fees are nowhere near your example since i charge shipping regardless the sale is ebay or bricklink and bricklink seller fees are only 3%

the vast majority of sets don't have 100% annual sets.  if lucky, most sets have 1 year of a 100% return and each year after that has a lower % than the prev. year (e.g. 100&, 50%, 20%, 10%, 10%, etc...)

Winter Village sets are proven winners.  You can argue piece counts, weights, box size...whatever, but you know year in and year out these sets will outperform many other LEGO themes and will make investors and resellers money.  Are there better choices...YES, but it is an easy choice for people who dabble in the LEGO secondary market and want "guaranteed" profits.  They are cute and creative sets with somewhat limited production runs, so what else does an investor want?

• Like 5

Winter Village sets are proven winners.  You can argue piece counts, weights, box size...whatever, but you know year in and year out these sets will outperform many other LEGO themes and will make investors and resellers money.  Are there better choices...YES, but it is an easy choice for people who dabble in the LEGO secondary market and want "guaranteed" profits.  They are cute and creative sets with somewhat limited production runs, so what else does an investor want?

To answer your question, it seems like newer investors want the sets to increase in value faster than they already are. Investing is a game of research, strategy, and patience. There are very few sets that can double their value within the first year after EOL.

The winter village market isn't my favorite either, but the benefit of these and the modulars is that they get a percentage of sales from people who are completionists.

Compulsive completionists need to buy it regardless of whether they like it as an individual set or not.

Edited by jharrison

This set seems like 6 poly bags put together as one.

I would also vote this set to be the less desirable one from this theme.

However, if it is retiring after only 1 year, then its definately worth picking some up.

don't think you can get a working carousel in any polybag. And I have a soft spot for carousels, especially if it can really spin.

Wanted to say "to Research Institute", which made me realize that there is no actual building. Which lead to thinking that maybe that is where Lego could take research Institute to - Scientific Modulars.Lego never had anything that could be even remotely counted as "Campus" for your Lego City setup, right?

best place is to house research institute in friends high school set

To answer your question, it seems like newer investors want the sets to increase in value faster than they already are. Investing is a game of research, strategy, and patience. There are very few sets that can double their value within the first year after EOL.

With smaller sets this happens somewhat often.

• Like 1

i wouldn't suggest comparing 10229 to 10235 when mentioned downsizing. 

instead compare 10235 to the first 3 sets as they are smaller (the # of elements, minifigs, etc) for a shot in the dark ROI % estimate. 

in basic conversations about ROI, many folks exclude fees as not everyone pays the same.  e.***. my fees are nowhere near your example since i charge shipping regardless the sale is ebay or bricklink and bricklink seller fees are only 3%

the vast majority of sets don't have 100% annual sets.  if lucky, most sets have 1 year of a 100% return and each year after that has a lower % than the prev. year (e.***. 100&, 50%, 20%, 10%, 10%, etc...)

Just to clarify, I meant no shipping charge on the buying end (free shipping from Target.com to you, for example).  My example assumes the investor does charge shipping to the end buyer, at cost.  Everyone has their own profit margin requirements, but some consideration for fees should be there.  It's very difficult to avoid, at the least 3% to PayPal and 3% to BrickLink (or 7 - 9% to eBay, or 15% to Amazon).  Internet sales tax is increasingly universal as well, so in effect there are fees on each end (buying and selling).

It seems that there is a consensus to say that it's not the most appealing WV set, because it's not a house, and so not the best investement you can do.

I respectfully disagree with that point of view.

Because you can build a WV and miss a house... but can you have a village without this set ? IMHO it's like the cement of a wall.

And about the scale, I think it's ok. A real carrousel is big in size, nearly as big as a small house. I'm ok with the size of it (but I admit there are only 4 places for kids and that's not a lot). BTW the other existing carrousel is the 10196 carousel and it's faaaar too big.

So overall, yes, this set may be not the most beautiful WV set, but a lot of people will "need" it... and of course, it's an "official" winter village set.

That's why I believe that this set has a great investment potential. It adds some living to a winter village, even more if you motorize it.

• Like 3

I am pretty convinced that I may very well be the only person who actually likes this set. I don't know. It's just a fun design with a bunch of things to do much like the Fairground Mixer. I will admit I do not have a whole lot of original ideas for a Winter Village myself but I thought this set is a nice one and even a little not so clich

• Like 2

I am pretty convinced that I may very well be the only person who actually likes this set. I don't know. It's just a fun design with a bunch of things to do much like the Fairground Mixer. I will admit I do not have a whole lot of original ideas for a Winter Village myself but I thought this set is a nice one and even a little not so clich

Take a look at this winter village set up. Then imagine the market set is taken out, leaving behind a bunch of buildings with white roofs, which is really boring.

http://littleyellowbrick.blogspot.sg/2013/12/our-lego-winter-village-town-moc-10199.html

Nice pics, thanks.

I was thinking about something else interesting in the carrousel. The 8 roof sections (blue and white) are exclusive to this set. So you can't rebrick it.

A friend of mine wanted the Xmas tree included in the 10199 toy shop, so except for the base (quite hidden), he will rebrick it for a cheap price. He couldn't have do that with the carrousel.

off topic:

As a tribute to this topic, I bought a bottle of wine which made me smile:

img_2011.jpg

But I'll not invest in this one, I'm too much tempted to open it, ah ah.

Edited by biniou