10235 - Winter Village Market

Huskers1236

You know... Everytime I went into a Lego story his past holiday season! I never saw this set. It could have been a slow seller compared to past sets so they give it the hook so soon? I also thought it looked sorts out of place next to the other winter sets as it reminded me of a snow circus.

That's interesting, because at my Lego store in Salt Lake City literally has over 20+ sets just piled on the shelves. And even throughout the holiday season there were tons and tons of them.

I hope this doesn't retire seeing as all the other sets were out for about 2 full holiday cycles before retiring... very interesting indeed.

That's interesting, because at my Lego store in Salt Lake City literally has over 20+ sets just piled on the shelves. And even throughout the holiday season there were tons and tons of them.

I hope this doesn't retire seeing as all the other sets were out for about 2 full holiday cycles before retiring... very interesting indeed.

My 0.02 - it's either really unpopular so it's retired early, or it hasn't retired early and it will be back for the winter.  Either way points to me not tying up my money in this at the moment.  So I'll pass.

major TYPO above..what i meant to type was... that I always saw it.  It was never sold-out

This is not a new information - somobody gave here this information few weeks ago by posting a list of retired sets in UK, and 10235 was there. From that time I have a big dilemma - either buy as much sets as possible for high official price (100-110 eur in Europe) or wait for re-stocking this set, because then I would able to buy these sets for 70 eur (the winter cottage, which is bigger, was available for 72-76 eur several months ago). The fact is that this set is retired almost a month in all european countries and not in USA. Anyhow this story will finish (either TLG leave it retired, or re-stock it before Xmas), this will be a big precedent for us:

1) if TLG leave it retired, it means that we cannot be sure for any set and every set can go to EOL immediately, without any alerts, and even if this set has a very short production time. This set 10235 was selling just 4 months!!!!! It would be extremly short life for this set from the theme, where sets have standard 2 years life (except cottage with 1+ year). Why the hell TLG produced this set so shortly?? Even if it is not selling perfectly, it is a winter theme, which is popular many years, people buy these sets primarly before Xmas, collectors love it and this set is not bad - especially due the caroussel.

2) if TLG give this set back to game, it will be more dangerous scenario, which mean that TLG can play games with us and produce fake retiring flags. Then we will not be able to check the ideal time for stocking some sets. TLG would be able to produce a new waves of popular sets, which were retired, but TLG decided to re-issue some sets before the Xmas. How we can live in the world, when "retired" tag is so relative?

3) its very interesting, that in Europe is this set 1 month retired already, but in USA is still selling without any sign of retiring (no "sold out" tag or "retiring soon"). What does it mean? What can we do - order these sets from USA and paying a lot of money for shipping + custom fee + VAT?

This is very nonstandard situation and its hard for us to decide what to do. There is a big risk of either wasting money (buying the sets for maximum retail price) or wasting one of the biggest investment opportunity of last years (can you imagine the price of this set if it is really retired after such extremly period? It can easy reach the profit of Zombie set, which went into triple price after few months from EOL)...

I can 80% assure you that I checked 10229 on the lego website around this time last year and it was listed as retired, great I thought,  then I found out from this site that the winter sets are returned the next year, this year the village market didn't last long enough to be in a sale, I got my cottages mid January 2013, but the market was sold out before xmas/boxing day sale.  If people think the set is gone because it is listed as retired, then maybe it is, but I'd say its more than likely to return.  Investment at this stage is a big gamble.

Also, if lego said that this set is simply out of stock then they would be getting enquires as to when it would be available again,  they cant say when it will be available for next winter, 9/10 months away, so they list it as  retired.

• Like 1

It seems likely that this set will return...but there are two red flags that make me wonder:

1) I haven't seen a Winter Village themed set appear on any of the 2014 set lists. They may not bring it back if they have decided to retire the entire theme.

2) I found it strange that they retired the WV Cottage so soon. It seemed like the signature set to keep around