10235 - Winter Village Market

Huskers1236

In my opinion this thing is a dud. Every other winter set has sold out before or shortly after Christmas. This thing was around all year in 2014 and was very easy to get through the entire holiday 2013. For a set that is basically retired after this Christmas I feel it should be gone by now. As for the WVC sticking around until February I still think it was tougher to get your hands on that one around Christmas and even after than it is the WVM. I bought one for my own collection because I have all of the other winter sets and I personally like this set. However as an investment I just don't see it.

• Like 1

I would say if SW hadn't of sold out in stores then these would of stayed available in store the entire holiday season instead of finally selling out the last week or so before Xmas.

The only few I sold myself this holiday season were the ones in my SW / WVM combo's and those took awhile to sell.  It took SW going to $140-150 to get them to bite on the combo.  

For whatever reason the set has not sold well at retail either year.  The stock that was at my store was actually last years stock until late in the holiday season when more came in.

So from a production standpoint that could be good in the retirement world as a 2 year stock might only be 1-1.5 on this one as they had it leftover from last year.

Not sure why it doesn't sell.  The carousel is cool and its a lot of pieces for $99.  Be interesting to see how this one does down the road.

Does it bother anyone this still hasn't sold out at Amazon? Feel like this one isn't as popular as the others.

This is the least popular winter themed set by far. Ironically this fact may be the one thing that saves it. Completionists will want the entire line and this set was not stockpiled as heavily as WVC. I believe the number of completionists for this theme will grow nicely once the 2015 set chugs into town.

i don't think there can be a dud on the seasonal line.  they all do well and are all popular.  is it the best, no but this will do quite well and should always go in the center of everyone's town collection.  it pulls it all together.  stop worrying and hold.  

• Like 2

I don't see this being the first ever dud on this line

Remember prior to SW every winter set in the theme was available at a very steep discount. 7347 has offset the cost of our WVMs quite nicely. We have made good money on all of the retired sets so far in this theme. Buying WVM at retail is a tough sell but you could certainly do worse.

• Like 1

Guest ph4tb0i

haha, yes this is very true. they've been like that before the holiday. free shipping plus fees.  those seller's better have gotten it for like $75 at most.  but yes, we who have them sitting, can just wait and watch them go up now. 

Yeah, also with the oil prices being so depressed and with the slumping Canadian dollar it's like my CAGR for everything just went up by 14% this year.. lol..

O Canada... 

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to lego investing and don't own any of these so I have no skin in the game, but I can't imagine this set doesn't increase in value the second it goes EOL. No one will care that it didn't sell like hot cakes while it was available in retail.

Would you guys recommend I buy one from Amazon at $99? Seems sensible.

Every place other than Amazon US is out of stock at MSRP...how many does Amazon have?  Sheesh!

I keep buying 2 once a week as allowed, I now have 27.   A few were bought form Target and Lego when still available.

I will order 2 more next week if 10235 is still there.

I even had two shipments from Amazon replaced due to some serious damage during shipment.

One shipping box had flexed so much that it split the back of the Product box from top to bottom.

Sent those back.

Quick question guys,  I understand after reading the blog about the value of these as a continuing set but why are people still clamoring over the Santa's Workshop, is it just for a short term flip leading upto next Xmas as I thought this set kept appearing each year?   Sorry maybe this would be in the Santa's Workshop thread.   Couldn't find it.    Thank you.