10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

I find it interesting that 33 members are reading this topic as I am typing this but very few people are actually commenting.

Everyone must be contemplating.

I lurk at lot - reading this forum it has most certainly influenced my purchases and thoughts about what to purchase next... I only wish I had acted sooner in regard to TH as I currently own none of this set. On the bright side I only want to acquire 1 personal copy which shouldn't be that hard to do if I don't mind paying a bit extra.

I lurk at lot - reading this forum it has most certainly influenced my purchases and thoughts about what to purchase next... I only wish I had acted sooner in regard to TH as I currently own none of this set. On the bright side I only want to acquire 1 personal copy which shouldn't be that hard to do if I don't mind paying a bit extra.

Check your local Lego store, provided that there is one near you. They might have some in stock and most times they will hold it for you.

If the Town Hall is indeed being phased out, then LEGO is changing their usual EOL procedures.  Either that, or the set was a very poor seller and they stopped production.

Help me out guys. What was the tipping point that led everyone to the conclusion that this was going EOL? Was it employee testimony, Shop at Home limits, sudden reduction in inventory across all retailers or something else?

Im trying to learn from my mistakes so this information will be helpful for me and others. I missed the boat (mostly) on this one.

Help me out guys. What was the tipping point that led everyone to the conclusion that this was going EOL? Was it employee testimony, Shop at Home limits, sudden reduction in inventory across all retailers or something else?

Im trying to learn from my mistakes so this information will be helpful for me and others. I missed the boat (mostly) on this one.

It was all about love.

Help me out guys. What was the tipping point that led everyone to the conclusion that this was going EOL?

My best guess is it went out of stock at the Lego shop because of double VIP, some panicked and bought stock elsewhere, which led to OOS messages essentially everywhere and more people panicking.

At least this is what I hope. Because this means all will be back to normal in a month or two, with the TH available for at least another year.

I'm trying to learn from my mistakes so this information will be helpful for me and others. I missed the boat (mostly) on this one.

The general conclusion is that it might go EOL. We came to the conclusion by Lego store employee testimony and other sources. They were all saying the same thing: the Town Hall would be retired by January 1st. Usually if one store says this, everyone ignores it, but when multiple sources from around the world are reporting the same thing, it might be going EOL.

Also, most modulars go OOS during 2x VIP points, so it could be nothing.

Poor seller expensive price point for normal buyer sits on shelf for awhile. Heres my theory peoduction has stoped long ago on these and theyve just been selling the stock due to it being a slow seller why make more. This could be a big suprise in the investment games. If this scenario is unfolding you lucky few that have a stack will be cashing in. But this still has its limit. Slow seller means hard to find buyers its a cool set but I dont seek it out for 200. It may be a hard sell.

Here is what I saw:

- Limit of 2 at LEGO Shop at Home

- Two different people on Brickpicker report LEGO Shop at Home definitively telling them it is going (yes we cannot trust them but two people were told straight up it is over as I remember)

- Available most places

- 2X VIP with option to backorder

- Sold Out

- Other stores start going sold out

- Ed jumps in and says this thread should light up and be interesting and about missing the boat like SSD (read two comments above). Ed rarely says much unless it is like that

- I scrambled and bought some from Lego Stores

- They have many in some places but I predict they are gone soon

- It will bounce in and out

- It will be done

My big factor is the people being told firmly (yes we cannot trust them) at 10% and Ed's comments at 90%. I was not scrambling to get them until Ed's comments.

It was low on my list of priority that is why I scrambled not waiting to the last minute on everything (I have been loading up on Maersk's)

Edit: Added not to can not trust them.

• Like 1

Poor seller expensive price point for normal buyer sits on shelf for awhile. Heres my theory peoduction has stoped long ago on these and theyve just been selling the stock due to it being a slow seller why make more. This could be a big suprise in the investment games. If this scenario is unfolding you lucky few that have a stack will be cashing in. But this still has its limit. Slow seller means hard to find buyers its a cool set but I dont seek it out for 200. It may be a hard sell.

People like to want what they can't get..

I agree it was not a good seller in my mind.  I think it had the mentality of yes I would really like to get it but wow $200 and I can get this cool Cinema Palace or Grand Emporium or this or that instead for $150.  I'll get it but I'll get it later.  Then everyone planned to get it "LATER".  Then no one got it.  Now it may be EOL because of that.

• Like 3

Why do people keep saying TH has been a poor seller.   Is this a fact or just a speculation?

Old production codes possibly meaning that everything is old stock and has sat being sold off slowly. Its the only set I ever see sitting on the shelve and never touched.

• Like 1

I agree it was not a good seller in my mind.  I think it had the mentality of yes I would really like to get it but wow $200 and I can get this cool Cinema Palace or Grand Emporium or this or that instead for $150.  I'll get it but I'll get it later.  Then everyone planned to get it "LATER".  Then no one got it.  Now it may be EOL because of that.

You are on my brain wave I agree with this post 100% thats my scenario as many others

• Like 1

$150 is the magic price point for modulars.  $199 was too much for such a bland building.  I also think that the Parisian Restaurant should have been priced at $150.  It's hyper detailed, but similar in stature to the others.

I'm in the minority for saying this, but I too believed that the Haunted House was over priced at $180.  I doubt it sold that well and was probably mostly popular with AFOLs.  

$150 is the magic price point for modulars. $199 was too much for such a bland building. I also think that the Parisian Restaurant should have been priced at $150. It's hyper detailed, but similar in stature to the others.

I'm in the minority for saying this, but I too believed that the Haunted House was over priced at $180. I doubt it sold that well and was probably mostly popular with AFOLs.

Overpriced is good. Less people buy it while it's in production, the more people pay once it's retired

• Like 1

$150 is the magic price point for modulars. $199 was too much for such a bland building. I also think that the Parisian Restaurant should have been priced at $150. It's hyper detailed, but similar in stature to the others.

I'm in the minority for saying this, but I too believed that the Haunted House was over priced at $180. I doubt it sold that well and was probably mostly popular with AFOLs.

The increase in price for the Parisian restaurant was most likely to keep up with inflation. In the U.S. the CPI has risen about 10% since 2009, so $160 seems to be pretty fair. Hopefully they don't increase in price every year, but in order for the quality to be maintained, there will have to be periodic price increases.
  • Like 1