10211 - Grand Emporium

rcdb1984

Trade my Grand Emporium? for 2 42030-1: VOLVO L350F Front Loader's or a combination from a selection of these sets totaling $500:

31313-1: Mindstorms EV3

75913-1: Ferrari F14 & Scuderia Ferrari Truck

42009-1: Mobile Crane MK II

75020-1: Jabba’s Sail Barge

76021-1: The Milano Spaceship Rescue

79008-1: Pirate Ship Ambush

75005-1: Rancor Pit

70413-1: The Brick Bounty

I have a person who hit me up for a trade. Not sure if I should do it, but the VOLVO Front Loaders look like they might be a good investment although I don't know too much about Techinc sets.

Trade my Grand Emporium? for 2 42030-1: VOLVO L350F Front Loader's or a combination from a selection of these sets totaling $500:

I have a person who hit me up for a trade. Not sure if I should do it, but the VOLVO Front Loaders look like they might be a good investment although I don't know too much about Techinc sets.

Take the trade! ​It will take a while for the Grand Emporium to get to $500 IMO, especially since you can expect a mass unloading during the holidays which could drive down the price. I'd go for the 2 Front Loaders or MKII, Jabba's Sail Barge, Rancor Pit, and Brick Bounty. 

I have a person who hit me up for a trade. Not sure if I should do it, but the VOLVO Front Loaders look like they might be a good investment although I don't know too much about Techinc 

If you go with the MSRP, it seems like a good trade with MK II + Volvo, but remember these two sets were on sale few weeks ago on amazon.co.uk for less price. Come down to around $310 ish. And from time to time you should still be able to get the similar deal on these two sets. Now Volvo still on sale on amazon.co.uk for $178.21 (ship to me) when buy 3. MK II was around $150 a piece when I bought them about 3 weeks ago. 

So you actually trading the GE for a value of $310 ish in sum. 

I think it's a OK deal but not like you earn a lot on there. 

• 3 weeks later...

On LEGO Shop at Home US the GE is officially retired.  I checked the thread to see if this had been posted and I don't think it had.  Good news!!

​It was posted in the retirement thread along with the other 100 or so sets. :)

People instantly moved to another set that Lego should have retired, or will retire, or will not, yada yada yada.

• Like 1

​It was posted in the retirement thread along with the other 100 or so sets. :)

People instantly moved to another set that Lego should have retired, or will retire, or will not, yada yada yada.

​Oops......I guess I was a little slow on that one. :geek:  Thanks for letting me know.  Appreciated!

No offense as I assume you have a plan with this, but I would hold onto the GE unless it's all for Star Wars sets you listed, but even then...  All of those other sets except the Mindstorms you want were available at discounts for much less than MSRP until they disappeared or are currently available for.  Brick bounty will likely go through a number of discounts in the upcoming holiday season, so I wouldn't trade for that.  Wait for a sale.

Given that exclusives now do not go on sale in the US, I think your basis has to be on MSRP or regular/common "sale" price of the other sets.

• 1 month later...

Just quoting this here because you could replace 2014 with 2015, GE with PS and 27R4 with 27R5.

Shhhh.  Everyone knows PS will never retire.  And even if it does, Lego will just rerelease it as part of the new DS (any space station the size of a small moon obviously has at least one onboard pet shop).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How much is FB fetching a year later? On BL I am seeing sales at around 330 USD which is not a huge increase after 12 months. Ed Mack already mentioned this in the spring and GE seems to be following the same trend of quick initial growth to 250 then very gradual increase after that. There are still many many listings of both.

How much is FB fetching a year later? On BL I am seeing sales at around 330 USD which is not a huge increase after 12 months. Ed Mack already mentioned this in the spring and GE seems to be following the same trend of quick initial growth to 250 then very gradual increase after that. There are still many many listings of both.

still a 10% gain over a year.  That does not sound too bad to me

still a 10% gain over a year.  That does not sound too bad to me

Compared to what? A low risk investment such as a bank deposit, sure. The issue is that there are so many of these on the market (GE and PS will be the same) that once the initial bumps has happened, it makes no real business sense to hold on as there will be other sets retiring the following year that will also have a bump.

Unless you are a long term hoarder like the Macks or Emazers, it is probably not worth it as you face the risk of a remake and the inconvenience of storing them, cat and baby related damage, robbery etc etc...

• Like 1

Compared to what? A low risk investment such as a bank deposit, sure. The issue is that there are so many of these on the market (GE and PS will be the same) that once the initial bumps has happened, it makes no real business sense to hold on as there will be other sets retiring the following year that will also have a bump.

Going from FB to GE last Autumn (or HH or TH if you were lucky) would have provided much more profit than holding FB another year.

Unless you are a long term hoarder like the Macks or Emazers, it is probably not worth it as you face the risk of a remake and the inconvenience of storing them, cat and baby related damage, robbery etc etc...

fair points. I am fairly small time. My plan is to be looking at the long term.  FB and GB are a small part of my portfolio and I suppose I take the view that if some of my investments are only making 10% whilst others make more  ( I have a decent amount of TH,  HH and SSD for the size of my portfolio). then it still looks pretty rosy.

fair points. I am fairly small time. My plan is to be looking at the long term.  FB and GB are a small part of my portfolio and I suppose I take the view that if some of my investments are only making 10% whilst others make more  ( I have a decent amount of TH,  HH and SSD for the size of my portfolio). then it still looks pretty rosy.

Of course, but have you factored in the bad investments  in your portfolio that all of us have, the sets that don´t retire as soon as we wanted, scams and commissions? 10% sounds a lot gross but when you start scratching at that there isn´t a lot left.

A great point that someone else made was timing is key and we don´t want everyone to sell at the same time as it creates a bubble effect and sinks the value. If everyone sold after 6 months it would be disaster and if everyone kept for 10 years it would be too.

Of course, but have you factored in the bad investments  in your portfolio that all of us have, the sets that don´t retire as soon as we wanted, scams and commissions? 10% sounds a lot gross but when you start scratching at that there isn´t a lot left.

A great point that someone else made was timing is key and we don´t want everyone to sell at the same time as it creates a bubble effect and sinks the value. If everyone sold after 6 months it would be disaster and if everyone kept for 10 years it would be too.

The time frame for selling is not the problem, "Everyone" is.

Patience was once the answer to that (just wait it out), but with the re-release concern threatening that option - we will see.

Edited by KShine

The time frame for selling is not the problem, "Everyone" is.

Patience was once the answer to that (just wait it out), but with the re-release concern threatening that option - we will see.

In this case, "everyone" is the issue.  It was the most hoarded set.  It will take some time for the horde to lose patience and sell off.  A reissue, while always a possibility, seems like less of an issue with this set.

Just want to throw this out there:

10% growth on a set you are already holding is much more desirable than 10% growth on a set you just acquired or are about to acquire.

Of course it is but one supposes that the recently acquired set will do better short term than that, as my examples demonstrated.

I'm selling GEs now. Happy to make $100 a set and reinvest. I like to sell after the fastest growth has taken place, I think we are there. Will keep a few for the long haul.

I did the same with FB and TH. Will start unloading SSDs soon too. I can't bring myself to sell any Haunted Houses for some reason though. 

• Like 2