10211 - Grand Emporium

rcdb1984

I'm selling GEs now. Happy to make $100 a set and reinvest. I like to sell after the fastest growth has taken place, I think we are there. Will keep a few for the long haul.

I did the same with FB and TH. Will start unloading SSDs soon too. I can't bring myself to sell any Haunted Houses for some reason though. 

Maybe because HH is still growing decently in an old school way? There´s now a 70 euro gap between HH and TH and one could imagine that with Halloween that will narrow further.

• Like 1

Just want to throw this out there:

10% growth on a set you are already holding is much more desirable than 10% growth on a set you just acquired or are about to acquire.

agree. Also need to factor in the hassle of selling the set, and then use the money to buy another set.

Maybe because HH is still growing decently in an old school way? There´s now a 70 euro gap between HH and TH and one could imagine that with Halloween that will narrow further.

Yea it seems to be doing a little better than the other stuff from last year. R2 is another one I'm holding off on moving despite it's growth. I want to see what the new movie does for it. I did sacrifice one R2 on Brick Classifieds when they dropped commissions, just wanted to help the site. 

The HH is just so damn cool too, I just like having them. I tend not to get attached to stuff but that set really does it for me. If I were to sell all sets but one that would be the keeper 

I think the GE is doing nicely. In the UK it's selling within a range of £220 to £270 having just looked at the UK sold listings. Not bad for a £100 to £130 buy in. 

Hopefully it'll hit £300 by this time next year. 

I think the TH effect has distorted expectations on set appreciation 

This isn't the thread for this but since we're talking about the HH, the only thing that's making me think this may not be a long term hold in the possibility of a Disney Haunted Mansion...

That's is a valid concern as I'd be surprised if this is the only haunted house around this size (or pretty close to it) that we ever see. Plus with the success of the monster minifigures, Lego could easily do a monster theme again.

• Like 1

Ah, I thought it was just me. Haunted house is the one set that I am so devastated that I missed out on getting for my personal collection.  I waited too long that it retired and now it's too expensive, and after I missed the boat on that one, it changed ny buying strategy such that I no longer wait to buy the sets that I really want...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, king156 said:

Got my GE on ebay for sale on brand new ebay account. Cant seem to shift it at £270 with free shipping and have 10 to shift.....do I lower the prices?

Not being funny, had a look and I cant see anyone selling a 10211 @£270 on a new account? Have you listed it correctly?

14 minutes ago, king156 said:

Got my GE on ebay for sale on brand new ebay account. Cant seem to shift it at £270 with free shipping and have 10 to shift.....do I lower the prices?

Don't see it either. And I would make sure you have some feedback before selling big ticket items like 10211 ... get yourself a box of CMF's, sell those one by one, then list your GEs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, king156 said:

18 minutes ago, Grynn said:

I think it is safe to say that would only make your listings look more suspicious, at least to a bunch of folks around here... feedback is important. Scammers abound.

8 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Don't see it either. And I would make sure you have some feedback before selling big ticket items like 10211 ... get yourself a box of CMF's, sell those one by one, then list your GEs.

Not exactly a power seller here or anything, but as a collector who buys 10-20 sets per month on eBay, I concur with these sentiments. There is almost no way I am buying a retired/HTF exclusive set (in particular something like a modular building that's a known popular item) from a new/recently established/no or low feedback seller. There are just too many scammers out there to make the juice worth the squeeze.

My suspicions are going to be heightened if you have multiples of the same item listed. Even more so if you are using stock photos.

Things to think about that might increase reliability of your listings.

1, Include photos of the actual item, even better if they include a sign with your seller/store name that verifies you own the item in question.

2. Well written description, that doesn't seem like you're trying to run a quick scam.

3. Don't list multiples of the same item untill you get some credible feedback

4. As others have mentioned, buy and sell a bunch of small items to establish some feedback quickly.

4. Open listings for the same items on Brickclassifieds, Amazon or Bricklink.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to building the GE with my son.  This was the last build in a 4 set lot from last Dec. I'm missing 4 windows and a couple of trivial elements that I subsituted for now.

For me, the build wasn't as interesting as the Fire Brigade and Palace Cinema (only modular buildings built so far). Part of this low opinion might be my low desire to build it.  I've kept putting it off and unloaded all of my MISB sets last month.  The revolving entrance and escalators were my favorite parts to build.  Everything else was pretty basic,  As I built each floor, the set grew on me though.  

image.jpeg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, jaisonline said:

Finally got around to building the GE with my son.  This was the last build in a 4 set lot from last Dec. I'm missing 4 windows and a couple of trivial elements that I subsituted for now.

For me, the build wasn't as interesting as the Fire Brigade and Palace Cinema (only modular buildings built so far). Part of this low opinion might be my low desire to build it.  I've kept putting it off and unloaded all of my MISB sets last month.  The revolving entrance and escalators were my favorite parts to build.  Everything else was pretty basic,  As I built each floor, the set grew on me though.

Is Daphne getting frisky in there, or my eyes deceiving me?

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 2/28/2016 at 11:05 AM, king156 said:

Personally think we shall hit £300 on GE this summer...

Good call! This set is popping now.

The part out value of GE has really shot up in recent months and is now worth more than Town Hall at $591 vs $582. I have not gone through to look what the rare parts are but it sounds like it might contain quite a few retired and pricey pieces.

Just checked it is the dark green windows that make this set valuable. Looks like GE and The Burrow which is another pricey set are the only ones that had them and there are 76 total that go for $3-$4 each. Looks like a smart person bought them all up at $0.60 each in March and April. 400% ROI over 2 months not too bad lol. 

Edited by asharerin
  • Like 1