10211 - Grand Emporium

rcdb1984

4 hours ago, asharerin said:

Good call! This set is popping now.

The part out value of GE has really shot up in recent months and is now worth more than Town Hall at $591 vs $582. I have not gone through to look what the rare parts are but it sounds like it might contain quite a few retired and pricey pieces.

Just checked it is the dark green windows that make this set valuable. Looks like GE and The Burrow which is another pricey set are the only ones that had them and there are 76 total that go for $3-$4 each. Looks like a smart person bought them all up at $0.60 each in March and April. 400% ROI over 2 months not too bad lol. 

I managed to get 167 of the dark green windows for 26p each late last year - already made my money back selling a set of 38 of them a couple of months ago. Keeping hold of the rest for now

5 hours ago, exciter1 said:

The Pet Shop has soured me on modulars more than any other.

why?  it hasn't retired yet.  what kind of performance were you expecting on a set that hasn't gone EOL? :)

i harbor nothing but happy thoughts when i gaze upon the 26 Pet Shops next to the 10 remaining GEs 6 remaining TH and bureoning stash of PCs (19) and PR (12).

modulars and star wars are the bedrock of my brickfolio.

Edited by cladner

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, JRandall said:

There are so many copies of these "popular" modular sets in circulation now that worthwhile gains will not be achieved for quite some time(years), especially with shipping/fees. 

while supply is high, so is demand for these sets. plus more folks will be attracted to this addictive theme and want to buy the sets they missed.  in the long run, modular blg sets (like the winter theme) will be good investments.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JRandall said:

There are so many copies of these "popular" modular sets in circulation now that worthwhile gains will not be achieved for quite some time(years), especially with shipping/fees. 

depends on the definition of worthwhile. but GE (10211) apparently has taken off better than i had ever hoped for. i am pleasantly surprised.

sold one AMZ ($349,99) yes i am not the cheapest but people still buy from me :D... 

349,99=>297,49-49,10=$248,39-$162,74 = $85.65 (about 22% AROI or 53% ROI ). 

Edited by newbie77
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, newbie77 said:

depends on the definition of worthwhile. but GE (10211) apparently has taken off better than i had ever hoped for. i am pleasantly surprised.

sold one AMZ ($349,99) yes i am not the cheapest but people still buy from me :D... 

jeez, i still get "sticker shock" each time somone types their amazon seller fees :)   at least you're able to charge more.

8 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

while supply is high, so is demand for these sets. plus more folks will be attracted to this addictive theme and want to buy the sets they missed.  in the long run, modular blg sets (like the winter theme) will be good investments.

Except the Petshop! 
That one needs to disappear. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

What's the first drop from 349 to 297 and then the -49.10? 

15 minutes ago, cubfan78 said:

I am not an investor, just an AFOL who likes to build. What happens to the price of the retired sets if/when Lego decides to make bigger modular sets that are 3500-4000 pieces with a price point around $300?

The big thing I as an investor worry about is remakes, exactly-the-same-remakes...

but in your example...maybe prices of the retired ones would go up some, hard to tell for sure.

Despite PS having been available for so long, and probably hoarded more than any other advanced modular building, it has one major advantage over the other modulars: 

A LEGO city built around these advanced modular buildings can easily use multiple copies of the PS! Since it is basically two narrow buildings together it can be split, rows of the house-building can be made, the Pets shop building can be modified for other purposes... 

And as soon as PS becomes officially retired, it will start to rise in value. There will continue to be new AFOLs who missed out on this theme, and who want it too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haay said:

Despite PS having been available for so long, and probably hoarded more than any other advanced modular building, it has one major advantage over the other modulars: 

A LEGO city built around these advanced modular buildings can easily use multiple copies of the PS! Since it is basically two narrow buildings together it can be split, rows of the house-building can be made, the Pets shop building can be modified for other purposes... 

And as soon as PS becomes officially retired, it will start to rise in value. There will continue to be new AFOLs who missed out on this theme, and who want it too.

I agree with your first statement.

However, I believe your second statement is too predictive. The AFOL community will not keep on growing forever.