10211 - Grand Emporium

rcdb1984

TH did get much later attention than GE. GE also about 2 years longer on the matket as TH. Assuming the EOL date would be equaly, scarcety of TH will remain a lot higher than GE?

I agree completely.  NMM may be right there is hoarding going on now on TH and perhaps a lot more can be accumulated but I am hopeful it will not keep restocking like GE has.  I am hoping and would be pleased if it does not resurface again anywhere online but I doubt I am that lucky.

• Like 1

Take a look at the bricklink numbers as they do not lie. 1410 GE to 184 TH. Anyone who thinks that gap will close significantly is living in fantasy land.

Having said that GE will do OK. I would not expect much more than $300 out of it in the next few years tho. TH will obviously fare much better.

• Like 1

Take a look at the bricklink numbers as they do not lie. 1410 GE to 184 TH. Anyone who thinks that gap will close significantly is living in fantasy land.

Depends on if the TH is retiring in late 2014/early 2015 or not. If the TH follows the pattern of the FB, and hopefully the GE, it will climb over 1,000 by 2016.

I do like that number, but is that not too high? That is more 5,5 times MSRP.

Those numbers are not the prices. They are how many of each set is available at the moment. My prediction is that there will be 1,000+ TH sets for sale on Bricklink around 2016 if it retires around that time.

• Like 1

caution before you go knee deep on Legos and buy 10s and 100s of thousand $ of Legos.

Try selling few. Selling is a lot harder and it may not be what you might be thinking.

Untill you are able to sell it's just boat load of plastic and cardboard box. It might look good on paper but the time and effort it goes on it is something you have to account as well.

Make yourself comfortable with the whole aspect of buying and selling otherwise you are going to have a lot more than that can be handled.

While being true, your comment is quite pointless. If we were all given the same advice we would never invest or own something worth selling. Even more, get stuck in life doing nothing.

First of all he wont have anything to sell unless he invests in it. You can only spill the water from the glass if there is water in it. No investment, no gain...and we're only able to find out if we invest at first place. What if I ask you if I should buy Mona Lisa for

• Like 1

Thanks for your input currently im only 16 and have no job as of yet. Storage is no issue, what sort of sets are you thinking will be retiring soon because I just missed out on HH :( I was thinking maybe AA?

I wouldn't be investing any money into Lego's at all.. seriously. At your age it's not worth it for the stress taking your focus off doing your best in school and possibly taking money away from your future University/transportation needs. Your best bet is to put away 30% of your fun money for school into a bank and the rest into a safe index fund account (S&P 500 USA stocks) each month and have it ready when you're going to move on to University.  You don't want a headache of having to sell your entire $2,000(for arguments sake) collection of Lego at a moment's notice and hoping you break even, when you could have been stress free and had both money in the bank and a small amount of interest as you either head into a trade or into school.

Edited by JRandall
  • Like 1

Listen to what JRandall said.

The highest cost in Lego investing is not the money to buy the sets, its the time lost.

For a young man preparing to go to college, that cost will be huge when converting to lost of future opportunities, future income, financial security, etc.

Unless you plan to spend that time on drinking and partying, then Lego investing is better :)

Your best bet is to put away 30% of your fun money for school into a bank and the rest into a safe index fund account (S&P 500 USA stocks) each month and have it ready when you're going to move on to University.  

I disagree on this one and this is where LEGO is solid gold in terms of investment.

If you put let's say.... $1000 in saver's account in a bank , after 3 years, it would be no more than $1200 (at its best). Plus it will allow the greedy bankers to use your money to make more money for themselves! Which is the problem with our society today, but that's a different topic.

However, if you invest $1000 in LEGO sets (presuming he invests in the right ones), after three years its more than likely that they doubled! 3 years pass, sell the sets... have the money to yourself! If he had bought 2 SSDs at MSRP with the money he had, it would be $800 spent. Now, the SSDs cost in the US ~$700, times 2 = $1400 just in few months. Imagine that in 3 years!!!! I challenge you to give us the BP community a reason why he shouldn't invest in Lego. 

On top of that. Getting a few sets and putting them in the attic and forgetting about them is not such a hard toil is it?

And course, no LEGO should be priority over the nice girls :)

haha those dopple posts need to stop xD

He should do whatever he wants with his money.

For saving it up probably LEGO is a much better investment than the bank account or the stock market.

But he can fall deep with LEGO as well.

Anyhow, 1000$ is not a lot of money when we are talking about investing it.

So the question should be is it really worth it.

Considering that a 16y old might have other interests than LEGO investment and that this spare money might be all the means he's got for whatever other activities there are I might say that it's also not a bad idea to spend the money on something else.

Let's say he actually buys the right sets and doubles money in 3years from now:

1000$ --> 2000$ (let's assume he even gets some more so we can neglect the time he invests for selling them and that his actual gain is 1000$ after he paid all the fees etc.).

So now we have a 19year old with 1000$ more than 3 years before! So much WOW...

During those 3 years he didn't have the money to spend it on other things (not necessarily alcohol, tobacco and parties that turn out to be total wastes of time and money and he finds himself thinking that reading a good book at home would have been the better choice...).

Just some examples how to spend 1000$ (and more) better at that age:

Equipment for a sport that you love that's costy.

Language course in a foreign country (I totally want to support that idea especially for native english speakers ;-) ).

A car.

A new computer.

I could continue that list but the message should be clear. 1000$ that you might need later for something awesome should not be invested for longterm.

If you work and can easily afford most things that you actually want/need and really don't have the time for a lot of other stuff besides work and family and there is some money left I'm totally in for LEGO investment (as you can see...).

But gosh... there's just so much more interesting stuff you can do when you're 16 years old.

When people are young they work their asses off to earn money and when they are old they would spend any amount of money to be young again... some actually try to feel young again with their money but that's not how it's working.

Once your youth is gone it won't come back. But money (especially those insignificant amounts) tends to come back all the time. After all, all it is are figures and numbers and paper. Tell your grandchildren how you've earned those awesome 1000$ with investing into LEGO back when you've been 16 years old. Probably that'll make a hell of a cool story.

• Like 1