9516 - Jabba's Palace

Brick625

I think this set will bring good returns for the people who got it at a low enough price.  I've seen this set for as low as $65 at a couple different Walmarts.  I see no reason why this wouldn't double to $130 in a relatively short time.  For those who paid close to full price, it may be tougher to make any money.  For the most part, this is a great set, but I think there will be a lot more "must haves" that buyers are going to want to spend their money on before this one.

This set was always slated to end production at the end of this year. TLG didn't change anything because of the controversy, they just made it sound like they were doing them a favor.

Yeah exactly. What was more surprising was that the group complaining actually accepted that as ok. Clearly a cop out. Lol

I have been judging sets mostly by how well they hold their value when they are out - especially on Ebay (as I look for Jabba all the time and if there is a good price, I grab them). There are a lot of outside factors to consider, so you have to make your own decisions, but the fact of the matter is the Jabba controversy didn't really have too much effect on the BP price. In March, right before the controversy, the set was worth the same it is now.

Maybe this means 100s of people are holding these to sell from that. However, who on here has said they are? I have 5 then, I returned them all. I now have more in my inventory, but bought for way less. I think a lot of people just returned them and a lot of people tried to flip them. Despite all this, it is still a crazy popular set.

Will it see huge returns? Well, I think its overpriced at $120, so that hurts it. I honestly think it will be a $200 set in a few years and if you got it for anywhere under $90, you did great.

I am thinking this will be a very slow climber. Just like 10193 every man and his dog has a bunch stashed away and just like 10193 I think it will hover around the $120 mark. The problem is in 5 years or so it will get another rehash. It would not surprise me at all to see this hang around until the end of 2014 either.

So if their last production run is the end of this year then how long does it remain available to buy next year? Clearly this should follow the 2 year cycle and be available thru at least summer 2014 no? It would not surprise me if it is still available online at retail by the end of 2014. 

A religious group complained that it resembled one of their famous mosques so to appease that group (so it seemed) they agreed to end the sets production this year. Some of our very knowledgeable members here have said that it was set to end at the end of the year regardless. Lego used to be very reliable when it came to 2 year production run all most all sets, that has since changed. Depending on how much stock they produced, this set could be gone by December or available a few months into the new year, all depends.

• Like 1

Its not hanging around.......TLG has clearly stated production of his set will end this year.

Will they EOL Rancor Pit as well ?  This set was obviously designed as an addon to the JP and does not look that good on its own.

This set should be a solid performer, but for each Jabba's Palace, you really need a Rancor's Pit to complete it.  Some say even a Desert Skiff is needed to "complete" the movie scene.  I have multiples of all three and plan to sell them that way.

I thought Desert Skiff pairs better with the Barge ?

A religious group complained that it resembled one of their famous mosques so to appease that group (so it seemed) they agreed to end the sets production this year. Some of our very knowledgeable members here have said that it was set to end at the end of the year regardless. Lego used to be very reliable when it came to 2 year production run all most all sets, that has since changed. Depending on how much stock they produced, this set could be gone by December or available a few months into the new year, all depends.

Oh I just assumed they would do their last production run at the end of this year and produce enough to last thru summer 2014 and then it would hang around at TRU for $129.99 until the end of 2014. Can't imagine they would want Rancor pit on its own for a whole year but I guess you know better than I do.

Will they EOL Rancor Pit as well ?  This set was obviously designed as an addon to the JP and does not look that good on its own.

I thought Desert Skiff pairs better with the Barge ?

That too...Might make for even a better combo.  Barge, Desert Skiff, Palace and Pit.  A real winner.

Oh I just assumed they would do their last production run at the end of this year and produce enough to last thru summer 2014 and then it would hang around at TRU for $129.99 until the end of 2014. Can't imagine they would want Rancor pit on its own for a whole year but I guess you know better than I do.

yeah it made national headlines when the story came out earlier this year. Here is one of the many news articles about it http://m.now.msn.com/lego-accused-of-racism-over-jabba-the-hutt-palace as far as the rancor pit I don't know what will happen with it, I agree with most here that it doesn't stand alone very well.

Keep an eye out for the stock at TRU. Right now in my area barely any of them have it in stock. In a 40 mile radius I think only like 3 stores have it. So if TRU doesn't reorder before the end of the year and stock up then maybe it really is on its way out since TRU is usually the last retail store to have an EOL set in stock.

Keep an eye out for the stock at TRU. Right now in my area barely any of them have it in stock. In a 40 mile radius I think only like 3 stores have it. So if TRU doesn't reorder before the end of the year and stock up then maybe it really is on its way out since TRU is usually the last retail store to have an EOL set in stock.

Hmmm, I wonder of the $149.99 price tag has anything to do with that?

• Like 1

I am not talking about instore, I am talking online. I would assume TLG would do their last production run of Jabba's Palace at the end of this year and that stock would hit retailer warehouses around spring of 2014 in hopes it will last through summer 2014. I would expect it to be available online and on ebay thru TRU for $129.99 through most of 2014 (my bad apparently they have further jacked the price to $152.99 lol).

Being a smaller investor, I won`t touch this one or the Rancor Pit. I just don`t see the returns being as high as some others, because I haven`t been able to buy it low enough. I wouldn`t buy in at more than $80 personally. My money at the moment is going into a couple TB and HH this month instead. It is a decent set for sure, with some great minifigs, and the fact that you can combine both perfectly, so I applaud the majority of you who are banking on them being a solid investment for those reasons. 

I have two jabba's palace and three rancor pit tucked away. I might exhange one of the rancor pit for sth else but haven't decided what yet. would I be charged for the clone trooper polybag if I exchange RP for a non star wars set?

I don`t believe so, it`s a promo after all which is given freely after you buy in. If you bring back the set, I doubt they will even ask you about the polybag. 

They often won't ask for it back, but it is considered a gift with purchase. If you're just exchanging it shouldn't be an issue but if you're just returning the set they may ask for it back or possibly deduct its value from your return. There are quite a few crappy people out there who regularly abuse the gift with purchase offerings by constantly buying stuff to get the sets and then returning everything but the gift.

Guest TabbyBoy

Personally, I don't think that non-exclusive SW sets are iconic enough for big gains so, I'm just sticking with the SW UCS sets and exclusives (Not Ewoks as I just don't like them!) for now.  However, I'll bite at 50% off like I did with 9515 (a regretted purchase).  I'm still new to investing, so new in fact that I've not sold a single set yet!  If Jabba's Palace makes me eat humble pie, I'll need to have a rethink.

Personally, I don't think that non-exclusive SW sets are iconic enough for big gains so, I'm just sticking with the SW UCS sets and exclusives (Not Ewoks as I just don't like them!) for now.  However, I'll bite at 50% off like I did with 9515 (a regretted purchase).  I'm still new to investing, so new in fact that I've not sold a single set yet!  If Jabba's Palace makes me eat humble pie, I'll need to have a rethink.

Were the Slave 1 or the AT-AT exclusives?

As long as Amazon has tons of it it will take a while. Last check still has around 999 qty. I agreeing with Ed on bundling it with the Rancor Pit and Dessert skiff as a whole because all 3 sets came out about the same time. Sail barge is fairly new so probably won't EOL for a while. But the other 3 will appreciate if all EOL at around same time to cut cost on shipping. IMO This Jabbas Palace will do good due to the exclusive mini figs and the Minifigs all got a nice upgrade like Jabba himself. He looks awesome. I don't think this Xmas it will do good because Amazon does have a lot of this set. Due to the fact it combines nicely with the Rancor pit it makes it unique and different and people will want both just so it feels complete. If you want to make quick profits, just part it out and sell it parted because it will be a while before its totally out of stock even it resembles a Mosque. Let say LEGO TLG says we won't make anymore by the end of this year. But how can we know if LEGO TLG is pumping out extra of this set to compensate for the fact they promise not to make this set past the end of this year. TLG might have little Santa elves and Gamorrean Guards making extra of this set to offset what they had promise to the Arab country about it looking like a Mosque. Kept their promise but more sets are in circulation then otherwise. But a BIG winner in a couple of years IMO. But we have lots of time folks...no rush.