Complaint Thread

rcdb1984

4 hours ago, lodibricks said:

Did Trump literally encourage people not to wear masks, or are we talking "by example" since he didn't always wear one while speaking at a podium (and probably 6ft away)?

Trump was not seen wearing a mask in public until July 11th per this BBC article: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53378439

"US President Donald Trump has worn a mask in public for the first time since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

The president was visiting the Walter Reed military hospital outside Washington, where he met wounded soldiers and health care workers.

"I've never been against masks but I do believe they have a time and a place," he said as he left the White House.

He has previously said that he would not wear a mask and mocked Democratic rival Joe Biden for doing so."

I had been wearing a mask out in public for three months at that point. Sure, Trump doesn't go to the grocery store. But a good leader leads by example. If you ask a group of conservatives about masks, one of them is going to say something about how Dr. Fauci said we didn't need them (on Mar 8, 2020) and a few weeks later said we did. Donald Trump repeated that during the debates. I think you'd be surprised at how quickly people will take to something if they are told by the people they trust that it's what we need to do. I honestly believe if Trump had endorsed wearing masks, done so in public from April 3rd when the CDC first recommended their use, that he could have single handedly save tens of thousands of lives. Instead, in talking about the recommendation he said he wouldn't be doing it and that it was just a recommendation (source: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/03/826219824/president-trump-says-cdc-now-recommends-americans-wear-cloth-masks-in-public).

5 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

they always claim to be so moral.

This is... what? I've never heard this claim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zaphoid said:

Either Amazon is way behind on processing returns or the UPS Store where I return items having their way with them.  Most returns for the past 30+ days are still outstanding and I'm starting to get reminder emails from Amazon.

Same, it's annoying

Either Amazon is way behind on processing returns or the UPS Store where I return items having their way with them.  Most returns for the past 30+ days are still outstanding and I'm starting to get reminder emails from Amazon.

You don’t refunded as soon as you drop off?

Usually when I drop off, they scan, and I have a refund by the time I get to the car. If not then, it’s within an hour or two.

What’s stupid is “they” have tried to cancel Speedy before. And the Mexican-American community came out and said he was actually a role model. But who knows.

15 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

What’s stupid is “they” have tried to cancel Speedy before. And the Mexican-American community came out and said he was actually a role model. But who knows.

this suggests that it's a bit more dynamic when it comes to racial/ethnic representation.

My thinking is, early on, when there's almost zero representation, ANY token characters will be embraced by many...and the more "different" that character, the better...like no one is going to be thrilled to see the first Mexican cartoon character look and act similar to the white characters...that said as time goes on when there's more representation...if the ethnic characters are still portrayed w/ the sorry 'ol stereo-types w/ no depth...then it becomes insulting. Just my initial thinking on this.  

Went to Home Depot this morning to buy some 2x4s to replace some rotten wood on the porch, and good God has lumber skyrocketed. When I redid our little cabin shed you could pick up a 2x4 for $3.49 now it cost me $7.96!

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/lumber-prices-futures-commodities-housing-boom-economic-outlook-recovery-pandemic-2021-3-1030156736

17 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Went to Home Depot this morning to buy some 2x4s to replace some rotten wood on the porch, and good God has lumber skyrocketed. When I redid our little cabin shed you could pick up a 2x4 for $3.49 now it cost me $7.96!

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/lumber-prices-futures-commodities-housing-boom-economic-outlook-recovery-pandemic-2021-3-1030156736

Got some 1/2" CDX plywood the other day for ~$40 a sheet.  Ridiculous. 

47 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Man, I should have fixed my fences in 2020 :(

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

This is nuts and if it is a sign of the inflation to come I don't look forward to it. 

I think this is mostly a function of supply and demand and not inflation (decreased value of currency), though inflation is on the horizon.

This fall I was going to build a shelf for my garage but was deterred by the high lumber prices.

We're in the process of designing a new deck we'd like to build, and the contractor and structural engineer mentioned the same. COVID has impacted lumber prices as well as delivery times. Ugh. 

We started getting estimates back in 2019, and it ranged from $70K-$120K because we didn't have any structural drawings yet. We got some preliminary drawings done in 2019 but then put it on hold when COVID hit. Now we're picking up the project again and I'm afraid to know what the estimates are now after we get the structural drawing done. 

Edited by oneknightr

On 3/6/2021 at 1:55 PM, exciter1 said:

Pepe Le Pew and Speedy Gonzalez are next.

Pepe Le Pew has never been a role model. If anything he's parodying the mentality of a typical man who thinks themselves an alluring romanticist or better known as some sloshed schmuck at a bar picking up chicks who does not take "no" for an answer. Also he was mocking the "foreign lover" trend in cinema from the time played by actors such as Rudolph Valentino and Charles Boyer. Difference being they actually understood the rules of seduction whereas Pepe Le Pew was a groper with a fake accent. I would say his groping is the most Pepe was guilty for ....and the stalking. But he has not done that routine in a long, long time. Anymore he flirts and that's about it.

As for Gonzalez, he is a generalized stereotype ....and that's about it. Nothing negative or positive to say about him really. Other than I remember the different ways he kept outsmarting Sylvester like getting mousetrapped into a corner. A part of me kind of wants to see what Speedy Gonzalez would be like played by Cheech Marin. Haha.

27 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

As for Gonzalez, he is a generalized stereotype ....and that's about it. Nothing negative or positive to say about him really. Other than I remember the different ways he kept outsmarting Sylvester like getting mousetrapped into a corner. A part of me kind of wants to see what Speedy Gonzalez would be like played by Cheech Marin. Haha.

I never understood the complaints about Speedy Gonzales.  He is bilingual, fast, and smart.  Why is that so bad?

*Oh and his name is spelled with an s, you *R^&Y$%^% !!!  #CANCEL !!!!! :P :D

• Like 1

https://www.businessinsider.com/mask-less-trader-joes-meltdown-texas-rules-impact-workers-2021-3

When government forces the minimum wage workers to be the police...

The idea that political leaders want to give their citizens the "freedom" to make their own "choices" on health & safety is so utter hogwash.

I'm sure folks "forced" to wear seatbelts and and helmets while biking are being denied their "rights". If a citizen is "smart" enough to decide whether to wear a mask or not...then he/she should also be "smart" enough to opt to put on seatbelts or wear helmets.

4 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/mask-less-trader-joes-meltdown-texas-rules-impact-workers-2021-3

When government forces the minimum wage workers to be the police...

The idea that political leaders want to give their citizens the "freedom" to make their own "choices" on health & safety is so utter hogwash.

I'm sure folks "forced" to wear seatbelts and and helmets while biking are being denied their "rights". If a citizen is "smart" enough to decide whether to wear a mask or not...then he/she should also be "smart" enough to opt to put on seatbelts or wear helmets.

Oh great, that was at my local Trader Joes.  And, the mask mandate doesn't even end until the 10th....