**Official** Target July and August Clearance Deals

nolanfan34

Indeed it is. Perhaps we shall see a "first day of the month" sale coupled with Summer clearances. ;)

Probably a terrible question and is sure to differ between every store... but does anyone have any idea what time Target does the clearance? Am I missing anything by waiting until after work around 4 on Thursdays to check? :blink:

Probably a terrible question and is sure to differ between every store... but does anyone have any idea what time Target does the clearance? Am I missing anything by waiting until after work around 4 on Thursdays to check? :blink:

The ones I hit last week had stuff (not Lego) already marked down to 70% off when they opened Thursday morning. So maybe they do it overnight.

So - I never have any luck finding WalMart or Target clearance deals in my town, but I decided to check in Target anyways.  I found 2 x Galaxy Squad Bug Obliterator sets (70705) for 50% off at $39.98.  So I just went ahead and bought them and checked the values later.  The value seems pathetic for an $80 MSRP set with 711 pieces.  I see people selling on eBay for $50 free shipping.  Do you guys think this will have any value in the future or is the theme really a dud?  I may keep one for my son.  The minifig selection in the set seems pretty bad for an $80 set.  My portfolio is almost 100% exclusives and licensed themes (except Ninjago).  

So - I never have any luck finding WalMart or Target clearance deals in my town, but I decided to check in Target anyways.  I found 2 x Galaxy Squad Bug Obliterator sets (70705) for 50% off at $39.98.  So I just went ahead and bought them and checked the values later.  The value seems pathetic for an $80 MSRP set with 711 pieces.  I see people selling on eBay for $50 free shipping.  Do you guys think this will have any value in the future or is the theme really a dud?  I may keep one for my son.  The minifig selection in the set seems pretty bad for an $80 set.  My portfolio is almost 100% exclusives and licensed themes (except Ninjago).  

It's a toss up. This is a pretty nice set but the last 2-3 in house space themes have been duds.

Normally I never pass up any LEGO that is 50% off, BUT, I saw some Galaxy Squad (2 different sets) for 50% off last week at Target and passed.  My kids walk right past them to EVERY OTHER LEGO in the toy isle.  It's almost like they don't even exist.  I don't know if its the packaging or the theme itself but they just don't notice them.

Any thoughts on the LOTR Uruk battlepack at 30% off?  I'm wondering if I should go back and pick up the last two at that price...

I like it, Sadowk1.  Even though it may be around a little while, it's still a nice set to get at 30% discount.  Also a great add on if you're packaging it with Helms.

It is interesting that the clearance pricing seems to be on a store-by-store basis but they are all affected by a chain-wide scanner issue.  A friend of mine who works there gave me some insight on the overall operation.  His impression was that everything that happens in the local stores, including the HVAC settings, were controlled from the corporate office.

Time to close this thred and open new for August...moderators?

I'm not sure "July" was literal, but more symbolic.

Scanners down at most Targets in my area.  One store had LEGO aisle dyslexia.  LEGO mixed into multiple aisles where they don't belong, yet the shelves were marked appropriately.  New Chima Gorilla thing in with Mega Blox, multiple random sets in with Imaginext, etc. The actual LEGO aisle had huge holes in inventory and I thought I was just too late, but the scanners were down so I don't think I missed anything.  It's as if things went down mid-shuffle for them. 

I did see a LOTR Council of Elrond at another store for $20.98, but it seemed like a boring set so I passed.

...and at a third store I found a LOTR Mines of Moria for $39.98, I did buy that one.  That's an alright price, no?