What Lego set did you buy today?

54 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Found a lonely 21120 Minecraft: The Snow Hideout in my normal Kroger (not "Marketplace"). Shelftag said $18.74, but checkout said $27.99. Turned out the price-tag was for something else, but they gave it to me for that price anyway. Would have been a 54% discount if LEGO didn't pull a Hot Air Balloon on this one and lowered the MSRP from the original $39.99 to $34.99 a while ago. Still 47% off  though ...

I hate to break it to you Phil, but you saved 54%.  MSRP on 21120 is $39.99.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Snow-Hideout-21120

Untitled.thumb.jpg.f0f92f25fdd77c43ca7576213c1aa35d.jpg

• Like 1

bought some sealed gems for my personal collection - Haunted House, Town Hall, Grand Emporium and MetalBeards Sea Cow

These are all on my personal build short list. Just used my eBay bucks for HH, grabbed a sealed Grand Emporium of BL for $200 at Christmas time. Still trying to find a decent deal on Town Hall and Sea Cow. I also just scored a decent deal on Fire Brigade.

17 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Darnit!

And now I need new glasses too!

you had me worried that my buyin suddenly sucked.  i wouldn't put it past TLG to have lowered the price and raised it again.  39.99 is overpriced for this set and its brethren the first night . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cladner said:

you had me worried that my buyin suddenly sucked.  i wouldn't put it past TLG to have lowered the price and raised it again.  39.99 is overpriced for this set and its brethren the first night . 

Brickset is to blame. In their detailed prices list it shows as $34.99...

I'm in Canada visiting family for Passover - stopped at a Lego store and got Joker and Batman Brickheadz along with the Y Wing and U Wing Microfighters.  Because of the price in Toronto it broke the $50 canadian barrier and I also got a Beetle Promo set.  With the US Exchange rate I ended up getting all of that for about $43.50 American.  

• Like 6

On 3/11/2017 at 0:26 AM, LegoMan1212 said:

Thanks for the reply, kind of answered it.  I'm an accountant by trade so these types of questions are always in my head about how to best report "our basis" for the inventory that we collect to resell and when to use rewards on business transactions vs personal transactions (even if they were generated from one or the other).  I'm no where near the amount of points that nearly all of you have so it's also small game vs big game here too.  I'm pretty sure my wife would murder me if I ever get close too.

Quick example... (not entirely to do with TRU)

You have $100 of freebies to anything (Earned Rebate Checks).   This can be used on personal purchases and you save $100 total and that's it, or...

You use it to buy 1 Lego, which cost $120 originally so you get it for $20.  Then you sell that Lego for $120.  Now you have a gain of $100 that will be taxed at your filing rate (between 15 - 33% I believe the range is);  unless you are able to contribute that $100 rebate to the company to increase your base in inventory, of which, when that sale is made, your cash increases but you have no gain, and no tax to pay on that item.  This is where my head gets filled with thoughts of, is everyone doing this, or are they putting their base down as $20 and getting taxed more than they should be.  If anything, talk with your accountants to make sure you are not being hit harder than you have to. :)  Then everyone wins.  Hell, maybe some disagree with that method.  I haven't gone through a full-year of this myself and I consider this a Hobby for now until I believe I can actually make it into a business.

I just had a talk with my accountant and his position on how to deal with rewards/free GCs etc was as follows:

You have 2 options:

1. You do not report the reward points/free GCs as income when you receive them, but then you have to report the cost of your purchases AFTER rewards and GCs when you spend them.

2. You report your points and GCs as income when you receive them (equivalent cash value), and then you can report the purchase price of anything you buy with those points BEFORE rewards.

His argumentation was that not reporting when you get them and treating them as cash when you use them amounts to double-dipping.

And I can see how that is true ... if you were to do this, do you also report the cost of the mini VW Beetle as $13.99 (or whatever the shelf price is in LLFL) even though you got it for free with a purchase? Sounds dodgy to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

And I can see how that is true ... if you were to do this, do you also report the cost of the mini VW Beetle as $13.99 (or whatever the shelf price is in LLFL) even though you got it for free with a purchase? Sounds dodgy to me.

For the last one, this is where you split the cost to all items acquired.  Example here again, spend $60 to get a $60 item (this is the market value) plus a freebie that has a market value of $14.

Your total market value to use as a basis is $74, so use that and take 60/74*60 for one item and 14/74 * 60 to get your value of the 2nd item which would be $48.64 and $11.36, but now you have a basis for both items and when you sell either one you will get taxed fairly on them both.

Edited by LegoMan1212
  • Like 2

For the last one, this is where you split the cost to all items acquired.  Example here again, spend $60 to get a $60 item (this is the market value) plus a freebie that has a market value of $14.
Your total market value to use as a basis is $74, so use that and take 60/74*60 for one item and 14/74 * 60 to get your value of the 2nd item which would be $48.64 and $11.36, but now you have a basis for both items and when you sell either one you will get taxed fairly on them both.

I do something like this for freebies. Not as suffisticated, but I think sufficient. I buy a $50 Lego, and get beetle for free. I will record the $50 Lego as $45, and beetle as $5. Because I don't like having $0 inventory and the two sets are intrinsically tied together. At the end of the day, no matter what price I sell either set for, or when I sell them, the buy in is still $50. So I try to keep it simple with easy numbers like $5 and $10, and always make sure that I sell the freebie at a profit. For example, I wouldn't say the beetle was worth $40 and the $50 set worth only $10, and then sell the Beetle for $35. But at the end of the day, you're profit/loss would still balance out once you sell the other set.

Ship does not float   -   I love that warning for those that were looking to spend $200 on a Lego set so they could build a ship with no hull and play with it in the pool.  It's a beautiful set though!

Yeah as I mentioned in the other thread this is a ship that sells itself when you see it in person. I had to stop staring so I could enjoy it during the build

Glad I did not cave during the Target BOGO40% - 60150 was $13 during that sale but you had to buy 2 and I only wanted/needed one for the personal collection .... It suddenly popped back to in stock for delivery at my Sears (had been KMart delivery only for the last few weeks), just as SYW decided to be generous with Sweeps points (collected $5+ today alone) ....

58eee2ae09abb_Screenshotfrom2017-04-1222-26-38.png.1eb01df2efd99fdd7ba3d80905d56410.png

• Like 4