Retiring Soon - open speculation

5 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

poor seller because it was over-priced by at least 20%

same category as the Disney Train...my guess is that they both hit White Whale territory in 5 years.  playing w/ amateur psychology; an item that is perceived as over-priced will not be purchased when readily available (waiting for a sale); when it retires then the sudden price jump starts feeding into the (irrational) wait till the price goes down approach...if price keeps appreciating then the guy keeps kicking himself for not getting it sooner; but no way will succumb to the "ridiculous price" currently

This happened to me w/ the damn Christmas train....I missed all the <$100 sales...many opportunities to get it at $115-$150...now at $225+ seems like I "missed the train"

Christmas train + Station is a killer combo at the moment. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

poor seller because it was over-priced by at least 20%

Was this never on sale?  I tend to agree based on the amount of stuff you get for $250. Hence the exclusion of a vehicle makes it appear to be worth “less” in my mind. With that said I’ve seen the set in person and it definitely appears larger than the pictures lead on. Jangbricks did a late to the party review a few months back and was impressed. 

Edited by Mathew

2 hours ago, redcell said:

I wouldn't count on that.  When large exclusives like this go around this time of the year, they tend to be gone.  They may pop back up here and there based on returns/delayed shipments or other reasons, but I wouldn't count on being able to easily buy this set at retail a month from now or later.

hope youre right but theres this that just popped up today

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/disney-train-and-station-71044

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Was this never on sale?  I tend to agree based on the amount of stuff you get for $250. Hence the exclusion of a vehicle makes it appear to be worth “less” in my mind. With that said I’ve seen the set in person and it definitely appears larger than the pictures lead on. Jangbricks did a late to the party review a few months back and was impressed. 

that's why I got a used version for personal collection...no white whale for me

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

It's been back a few days. And this one was expected because the train was on backorder a few weeks back. Didn't see t-rex on backorder before it went to "sold out".

yep the t-rex went to temp out a couple of months ago then came back to in stock then went to temp out then straight to sold out.  It could be back but I think it is gone.  It did not go to back order or even be available before it was flipped to sold out.

also another indicator the t-rex is sold out in Europe and that was before the US went to sold out.

whether it has a vehicle or not its a great set and many Jurassic Park fans will love it for years to come myself included

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starwarsxpress said:

whether it has a vehicle or not its a great set and many Jurassic Park fans will love it for years to come myself included

Quit trying to sell me on this set. 🤪Local LEGO store shows in stock. I might need to call to reserve one for me. 

I want to build that T-Rex SO badly BUT don't want to spend $250 (or even $150) for it. I have zero interest in the minifigures or the gate. 

Why raise the price so much by including such a large gate? Because without the gate it's just giant dinosaur with minifigures scattered around it. They could have included only a tiny little stand for the minifigs and a printed Jurassic part (like Batmobile and others). 

Another option (as others mentioned) would be to include a jeep instead of the gate. It could be a fantastic little build and very iconic BUT ultimately a large gate with the T- Rex just looks more complete. 

In a dream world that same T-Rex build would be available for $50. A well done jeep sold separately for $25-30 and minifigs sold in blind bags for $3-4 each. Gate for $20-40. 

It's a set that I didn't buy. For over a year have admired but don't have unlimited funds and space. It doesn't fit with my themes that I collect BUT it's such a well done build that we'll probably never see again that I'll probably always sort wish I had bought. I'm certain that others in the future will want it. How far over retail will they be willing to pay? Is it better to invest in smaller sets (less  money and space). Those are the questions to consider. It's pretty much a given that it's an admirable build and will continue to be. 

5 minutes ago, ponderingzissou said:

I want to build that T-Rex SO badly BUT don't want to spend $250 (or even $150) for it. I have zero interest in the minifigures or the gate. 

Why raise the price so much by including such a large gate? Because without the gate it's just giant dinosaur with minifigures scattered around it. They could have included only a tiny little stand for the minifigs and a printed Jurassic part (like Batmobile and others). 

Another option (as others mentioned) would be to include a jeep instead of the gate. It could be a fantastic little build and very iconic BUT ultimately a large gate with the T- Rex just looks more complete. 

In a dream world that same T-Rex build would be available for $50. A well done jeep sold separately for $25-30 and minifigs sold in blind bags for $3-4 each. Gate for $20-40. 

It's a set that I didn't buy. For over a year have admired but don't have unlimited funds and space. It doesn't fit with my themes that I collect BUT it's such a well done build that we'll probably never see again that I'll probably always sort wish I had bought. I'm certain that others in the future will want it. How far over retail will they be willing to pay? Is it better to invest in smaller sets (less  money and space). Those are the questions to consider. It's pretty much a given that it's an admirable build and will continue to be. 

I think you're looking for the White Whale thread...

over-priced sets do really well post-retirement since the original RRP becomes moot and it's price kept hoarders at bay (they also tend to be "unique" w/ low chance of remake)...ebay currently has it at $350 to x2 RRP 

[I just reserved one at local LEGO store...(VIP points are made for these moments of weakness)]

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mathew said:

I don't have access to a lego store nearby and only saw the set on display at legoland Germany last month. Indeed the set is larger than what I thought and collectors will want the largest Dino sold by lego at some point. 

Between the 1989 batmobile and the T-Rex, where will you put your money? 

Edited by coelian

9 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

over-priced sets do really well post-retirement since the original RRP becomes moot and it's price kept hoarders at bay (they also tend to be "unique" w/ low chance of remake)...ebay currently has it at $350 to x2 RRP 

[I just reserved one at local LEGO store...(VIP points are made for these moments of weakness)]

Sounds like we're in agreement 😄 on everything except possibly the question of "better to invest in smaller sets at discounts vs large sets at or near retail?" Different fits for different people. You do have an excellent point about sets that are in the high price range post retirement 😊

4 minutes ago, coelian said:

I don't have access to a lego store nearby and only saw the set on display at legoland Germany last month. Indeed the set is larger than what I thought and collectors will want the largest Dino sold by lego at some point. 

Was able to get the t-rex at a fair discount. Never saw the batmobile without. 

29 minutes ago, ponderingzissou said:

The gate is a must.  It needed to be big.  I would have skipped the interior dioramas though as most collectors will display this against the back of a wall or shelf.  At the very least the kids should have been included.  That and a vehicle just to give the T-Rex something to step on.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I reserved one as well.  Jurassic Park has huge nostalgia value for me.  I read the book and then saw the movie opening weekend (same week I graduated High School).  Very memorable experience and I feel the that the movie holds up well.  Alas I can't really afford to buy another big set for myself this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ponderingzissou said:

It's a set that I didn't buy. For over a year have admired but don't have unlimited funds and space. It doesn't fit with my themes that I collect BUT it's such a well done build that we'll probably never see again that I'll probably always sort wish I had bought

your absolutely right it is why I love this set.  It has been high on my list since day one but I just didn't buy it.  I think a lot of people had this high on their list but there was always something else to buy first.  I've rectified that myself : ) at one time someone said the mini figures that are in it are exclusive to this set.  Edit according to brickset Alan Grant appeared in 75932 that is also retired, otherwise all of the mini figures in this set are only available in this set

Edited by starwarsxpress
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

I reserved one as well.  Jurassic Park has huge nostalgia value for me.  I read the book and then saw the movie opening weekend (same week I graduated High School).  Very memorable experience and I feel the that the movie holds up well.  Alas I can't really afford to buy another big set for myself this year.

but...but...UCS AT-AT

1 minute ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

but...but...UCS AT-AT

so is anyone actually going to spend $850 for the AT AT day one for personal and the GWP ? Seriously curious how many want to buy it day one.  I currently feel like getting JW T Rex Rampage, Bat Mobile and a host of other retiring things soon for personal, buy the GWP off ebay for $100 or so and buy the AT AT in another year or two.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coelian said:

I'd go w/ T-Rex (AKA largest LEGO Dino to date) w/ exclusive MFs

The 1989 is a sweet set; no doubt, but there's tons out there whereas I see this set falling into the Apocolapsburg territory (cool large expensive set hardly anyone bought)...that set x2 almost out of the gate and sniffing x3 just 3 years out.

1 minute ago, starwarsxpress said:

so is anyone actually going to spend $850 for the AT AT day one for personal and the GWP ? Seriously curious how many want to buy it day one.  I currently feel like getting JW T Rex Rampage, Bat Mobile and a host of other retiring things soon for personal, buy the GWP off ebay for $100 or so and buy the AT AT in another year or two.

that's what VIP points are for

I need to buy the UCS AT-AT day one within the first 10 minutes of early VIP release...on principle alone