Retiring Soon - open speculation

Meanwhile Amazon (UK) have refreshed their Great Hall inventory from 400 off last weekend to 999+ yet again. It's been 'sold out' for many weeks.

I think Lego welcome these leaks, maybe even help to manufacture them. Free advertising - and who can blame them. 

Edited by Goblin
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Goblin said:

Meanwhile Amazon (UK) have refreshed their Great Hall inventory from 400 off last weekend to 999+ yet again. It's been 'sold out' for many weeks.

I think Lego welcome these leaks, maybe even help to manufacture them. Free advertising - and who can blame them. 

Who here feels like the lego group are taking advantage now as a re seller?

Please do not believe the tie fighter sold out sign and go out and mad buy, this is what they want you to do. These signs are very misleading and not to be trusted anymore. 

The lego group know exactly what there doing, the info lately being leaked has been very inaccurate and imo you can no longer trust lists or youtube videos and sources. All I would say is keep an eye on amazon, amazon tells the whole story with all the fake news.

In the last year investing has gone from bad to worse. Many people now must either have cut down or stopped completely. It won't be longer before they just keep everything in production or just for an insane time before retirement, you don't want to be stuck with tonnes of sets at this point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Goblin said:

Only shows as 338 available for me

14 minutes ago, nolan808 said:

Who here feels like the lego group are taking advantage now as a re seller?

Please do not believe the tie fighter sold out sign and go out and mad buy, this is what they want you to do. These signs are very misleading and not to be trusted anymore. 

The lego group know exactly what there doing, the info lately being leaked has been very inaccurate and imo you can no longer trust lists or youtube videos and sources. All I would say is keep an eye on amazon, amazon tells the whole story with all the fake news.

In the last year investing has gone from bad to worse. Many people now must either have cut down or stopped completely. It won't be longer before they just keep everything in production or just for an insane time before retirement, you don't want to be stuck with tonnes of sets at this point.

If people are stopping completely all the better for those of us still selling 

12 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

It's reached comical proportions...

1. Various "trusted sites" use past metrics and "inside info" to publish EOL lists

2. Resellers hoard

3. TLG decides to extend life since sales are so good

"We" are shooting ourselves in the foot scrambling to get retiring sets...and by those exact actions causing the delay in retirement.

This is why I changed tactics completely.

if you are in for the Long game it shouldn’t matter.

relying on a the lists caused to much hassle for me, so now if a a set I’m into don’t retire, oh well I’ll have more when it does.

of course it’s, Not the best way to maximise returns, but then I’m not wasting hours selling stuff that will only retire a year later.....

I’ve cut down on Lego purchases this year due to sets being extended, more re-releases (ideas) but also I find Lego LEGO Shop at Home are delivering sets in worse condition. Smyths also very poor on delivery. I had to send some back as really bad condition boxes from both. LEGO Shop at Home use DPD here in the UK and I always say damage parcels drastically.
Also the last May 4th offers this year were atrocious. I think Lego don’t need the adults buying in bulk like years ago as more adults are generally into Lego (which is good for resellers) but agree with some posts here the sold out and some other news from retiring websites can be misleading.....its certainly not as straightforward to buy/resell as a few years ago. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Yellow Castle said:

I’ve cut down on Lego purchases this year due to sets being extended, more re-releases (ideas) but also I find Lego LEGO Shop at Home are delivering sets in worse condition. Smyths also very poor on delivery. I had to send some back as really bad condition boxes from both. LEGO Shop at Home use DPD here in the UK and I always say damage parcels drastically.
Also the last May 4th offers this year were atrocious. I think Lego don’t need the adults buying in bulk like years ago as more adults are generally into Lego (which is good for resellers) but agree with some posts here the sold out and some other news from retiring websites can be misleading.....its certainly not as straightforward to buy/resell as a few years ago. 

Thats what you are saying in London.

Y'all crack me up.  I hate to break it to you, but the Lego world does not revolve around you and the other Lego resellers out there.  And there isn't a group of sales executives sitting around a room in Enfield or Billund scheming on how best to manipulate resellers into buying more of a given set.  Lego is operating on a scale far larger than anything the reselling community could impact.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, redcell said:

Y'all crack me up.  I hate to break it to you, but the Lego world does not revolve around you and the other Lego resellers out there.  And there isn't a group of sales executives sitting around a room in Enfield or Billund scheming on how best to manipulate resellers into buying more of a given set.  Lego is operating on a scale far larger than anything the reselling community could impact.   

Are you sure about this? Take a guess at the % of Lego sales, particularly in the quiet months, that are resellers. Year on year they are pressured to show growth by shareholders. They have disdain for resellers so why not take advantage of them?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Goblin said:

Are you sure about this? Take a guess at the % of Lego sales, particularly in the quiet months, that are resellers. Year on year they are pressured to show growth by shareholders. They have disdain for resellers so why not take advantage of them?

Yep...pretty sure about it. 

I imagine TLG uses an algo to determine their production these days. If a set is selling and there is no expired license and they have capacity then it will remain in production. I don't think the algo cares who is purchasing or why. It just sees the Great Hall selling out instantly, sees plenty of pieces available for production, so keeps pumping it out until the trend changes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, redcell said:

We crack you up lol. How can you possibly think that re sellers are nothing to Lego. Ok let's all just stop buying then and see what happens to there overall profit. 

I'm sorry but of course re sellers are took into consideration for extending certain sets, marketing strategy and extra production. In business you think of every avenue and it would be a terrible idea to ignore this fact and just quite frankly bad business. 

You clearly have no idea on just how many re sellers there are now days and how many buy in big volumes. The Great hall and the at st is a great example of this, who else were buying these sets once word was out they were leaving?

I just find it complexing that people think Lego would just be fine without us reseller folk, it just wouldn't work. 

5 hours ago, Goblin said:

I wouldn't attempt to put a figure on sets that are unopened in the world, but I imagine it's significant for Lego. 

Ill attempt for fun. $100M+. Minimum.

PFT alone (largest usa reseller afaik) likely sells more than 10M+ each year. and there are other whales out there as well.

Treehouse likely extended due to resellers.

Even amazon kinda paid attention late last year when we saw for the first time on many occasions on many sets amazon pricing their inventory at resellers prices altho possibly that was just pricing algos doing their thing.

Edited by Bricklectic

I would think the pandemic - supply chain shortages, Covid shutdowns, production delays, trucking / shipping costs and delays - all play a factor, especially this year and likely for another year or two.

Lego for sure is not depending on resellers to keep them afloat. I’m for one not buying at RRP, as most resellers aren’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, nolan808 said:

We crack you up lol. How can you possibly think that re sellers are nothing to Lego. Ok let's all just stop buying then and see what happens to there overall profit. 

Never said that resellers are nothing to Lego...just that resellers are not the kind of driver of Lego's strategy that many here think they are. 

You clearly have no idea on just how many re sellers there are now days and how many buy in big volumes. The Great hall and the at st is a great example of this, who else were buying these sets once word was out they were leaving?

How much of the $7 billion in revenue that TLG generates per year do you think are attributable to purchases by resellers?  And what happens to those sales if resellers were to go away?  Do you think they would just vanish...that no one else other than a reseller would be interested in buying those Lego sets?

And who else were buying those particular sets?  Let's see...Timmy Johnson's mom, Susie Smith's grandmother, Jack Prager's aunt, Nerdy McNerderson (for himself of course), Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo, and every other person who had an interest in buying those sets. 

I just find it complexing that people think Lego would just be fine without us reseller folk, it just wouldn't work. 

LOL...sure...one of the most popular and successful toys of all time would be SOL if not for us resellers...I guess that's why LEGO Shop at Home has consistently banned resellers that it identified and why LEGO Shop at Home, Amazon, Walmart, and Target all impose quantity limits on purchases.  Resellers are a part of the Lego ecosystem, but we're not a necessary part...we exist and profit because of the popularity of the product.  Take us away and the product remains just as popular and does just as well...the products that we purchase are simply purchased by someone else.

• Like 3