Retiring Soon - open speculation

5 hours ago, Goblin said:

Saturn V. 

1) Did Lego resurrect it because of demand? If so, was a significant percenatge of this demand fuelled by hoarders? 

2) Did Lego get complaints from customers about the price of buying from resellers? From memory I believe it reached 2 x RRP pretty quickly. 

3) Did Lego re-release it to frustrate resellers?

4) Or was it just re-released without any consideration given to the after-market? 

Maybe Lego do just ignore the resale market, but in a hypothetical world void of resellers, I doubt Lego would have brought it back so quickly. Didn't I see a website a few months ago saying it was retiring again? And so it continues...

100%

To think that the conversation amongst exects doesn't happen because they have other pressing matters, I feel doesn't give the exects enough credit. They want to increase profits and if you know that resellers are affecting the instock rates and prices of one of your most popular sets, well hell, I'd be dumb to be one of those executives and not at least have the conversation about extending the shelf life to increase our profits on it. On most sets would they even flinch, probably not...those are the sets that get ignored on this forum and turn out to be the real diamonds :) 

2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

Except for the guy I had on a conference call named Ah Shitt

idk Anil Joy was my best customer name over the years.  Had a Balz Myerhandz too.  Richard Woodhead and Harry Bushpies in the last year.  Wanted to make a list over the 22 years but never got around to it.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

idk Anil Joy was my best customer name over the years.  Had a Balz Myerhandz too.  Richard Woodhead and Harry Bushpies in the last year.  Wanted to make a list over the 22 years but never got around to it.

Those are definitely good ones.

3 hours ago, jeff_14 said:

I sent a Lord of the Rings set to an Aragorn once.

My mom was an ER nurse and had to treat a Donald Duck, Ronald McDonald, and someone she could only pronounce as Mr Shitty. Over the PA system

I shipped LEGO to a Michael Tyson in Vegas once. Probably just someone named after him. And lots of humorous ebay usernames. Apologies for going off topic

• Like 1

back to the other OT: resellers: flea vs whale

Been pondering this one as there are good arguments from both sides: conclusion, both sides are correct.

For all of TLG offerings resellers are equivalent to a flea as we can not hope to scale with a legion of soccer moms, grand parents, and relatives shopping for Timmy's b-day and holiday gifts.

But for singular sets, resellers have the clout of whales where, following breaking news of unexpected scarceness, a single set can get literally wiped off all major retailers in minutes (B&M within days)...soccer mom never had a chance.

But for singular sets, resellers have the clout of whales where, following breaking news of unexpected scarceness, a single set can get literally wiped off all major retailers in minutes (B&M within days)...soccer mom never had a chance.

This is definitely true, but I wouldn't limit it to just unexpected scarceness. There have been very few times that I've been chasing a set where there has been more supply in a 5-6 hour radius from me than I could hoover up if I had enough time on my hands. The only time that comes to mind is the Black Friday sale at Target last year that started on Sunday before Thanksgiving.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, coelian said:

The sales rack of my local dept store gives me some clue of retiring sets. Today I spotted Hogwarts Castle on it, however I don't recall seeing it appear on any lists yet. What do you guys think?

Yeah, I heard that's where Stonewars gets there list ideas too.