Retiring Soon - open speculation

15 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

Back in the day we had TH, GE, HH, DS, IS, FB, SSD, TB, PC and PS.

Town Hall, Grand Emporium, Haunted House, Death Star, Imperial Shuttle, Fire Brigade, Superstar Destroyer, Tower Bridge, Palace Cinema, Pet Shop?

How’d I do?

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 12:08 PM, joneyyy1981 said:

are americans really that stupid?

You know, I'm going to stand up for America on this one.  Yeah, there are some geographically illiterate people in the US but I lived in the UK for a few years and I heard people try to put Boston in California and New Mexico in Mexico.  In the US, we can travel 5 days and not leave the country.  In Europe, you could visit 7-8 countries in five days while driving half as much.  It makes a difference.  People generally learn through necessity.  And lest you think that I am picking on Europeans, I lived in The Philippines for five years and heard some ridiculous statements about geography there too, both by the Filipinos and by Australian ex-pats.    Of course, Australia has the same problem as America - a huge country to roam as well.  But I actually had a 46 year old Australian man (and good friend) try to tell me that the Florida alligator was no different from their crocodile.  As someone that grew up around alligators, I got a good laugh at that one. For those that don't know, beyond physical differences, alligators live in brackish or fresh water only.  Crocs generally prefer saltwater.  The alligator's glands for excreting salt is not as refined as a crocodile's.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, raindog said:

You know, I'm going to stand up for America on this one.  Yeah, there are some geographically illiterate people in the US but I lived in the UK for a few years and I heard people try to put Boston in California and New Mexico in Mexico.  In the US, we can travel 5 days and not leave the country.  In Europe, you could visit 7-8 countries in five days while driving half as much.  It makes a difference.  People generally learn through necessity.  And lest you think that I am picking on Europeans, I lived in The Philippines for five years and heard some ridiculous statements about geography there too, both by the Filipinos and by Australian ex-pats.    Of course, Australia has the same problem as America - a huge country to roam as well.  But I actually had a 46 year old Australian man (and good friend) try to tell me that the Florida alligator was no different from their crocodile.  As someone that grew up around alligators, I got a good laugh at that one. For those that don't know, beyond physical differences, alligators live in brackish or fresh water only.  Crocs generally prefer saltwater.  The alligator's glands for excreting salt is not as refined as a crocodile's.  

Maybe the moral of the story is that people are stupid. Not just people from America, but people in general. To quote K from “Men in Black”: “People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.” I’ve read a lot of history, and people have been saying and doing stupid things since there have been people on Earth. Maybe ignorance IS bliss?

1 hour ago, Chormeister said:

Maybe the moral of the story is that people are stupid. Not just people from America, but people in general. To quote K from “Men in Black”: “People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.” I’ve read a lot of history, and people have been saying and doing stupid things since there have been people on Earth. Maybe ignorance IS bliss?

Well I guess you guys are mixing not educated and stupid. 

They might corelate to a certain degree, but are not the same thing.

Because I didnt know much about geography at all, I took the time to learn the location and capital of every country. Of course with time it gets hard to remember everything, especially africa and eastern Europe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sozial said:

Because I didnt know much about geography at all, I took the time to learn the location and capital of every country. Of course with time it gets hard to remember everything, especially africa and eastern Europe. 

You are wrong.  "You guys" are not.  It's the exact reason that I used the term " geographically illiterate."  Some very smart people are geographically illiterate and some dumb people can navigate the globe.  Mixing education and intelligence would be the opposite of my point above.

1 hour ago, raindog said:

You are wrong.  "You guys" are not.  It's the exact reason that I used the term " geographically illiterate."  Some very smart people are geographically illiterate and some dumb people can navigate the globe.  Mixing education and intelligence would be the opposite of my point above.

Well yeah okay. You are right.

On 7/21/2021 at 10:33 AM, Darth_Raichu said:

I thought it was well known that the majority of Americans are clueless about geography?  This is why we have an event called the World Series that only involves baseball teams from the US

🦆

In all fairness we also have a Miss Universe that every country sends a contestant to so I'm not sure who is at fault for that. 

And Mercater was a European and he's really at the core of man's incapacity to understand geography.

Edited by Hardwired

10 hours ago, raindog said:

whilst i get your point. we not talking about the capitol of  bosnia. we are talking about London.

its litarraly the most famous city on earth.

8 hours ago, Sozial said:

Nope. I actually meant “stupid” and not “uneducated” or “ignorant.” Your statement is a bit presumptuous. Those three words have vastly different meanings. You are right that people often mix them up, but that’s not what’s happening here. For instance, I’ve spent a good deal of time in academia and am well acquainted with some highly educated, yet very stupid people. I’ve also known some very smart and uneducated people. You’re also not taking into account multiple intelligences or aptitude. This is a much deeper subject than a Lego forum can handle. I was simply adding to the conversation with a joke and a funny clip.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chormeister said:

Nope. I actually meant “stupid” and not “uneducated” or “ignorant.” Your statement is a bit presumptuous. Those three words have vastly different meanings. You are right that people often mix them up, but that’s not what’s happening here. For instance, I’ve spent a good deal of time in academia and am well acquainted with some highly educated, yet very stupid people. I’ve also known some very smart and uneducated people. You’re also not taking into account multiple intelligences or aptitude. This is a much deeper subject than a Lego forum can handle. I was simply adding to the conversation with a joke and a funny clip.

100% agree — especially in today’s educational environment.

4 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

whilst i get your point. we not talking about the capitol of  bosnia. we are talking about London.

its litarraly the most famous city on earth.

Is it though?  If someone asked me that question London isn't even in the top 5

1. Paris

2. Rome

3. New York

4. Tokyo

5. Los Angeles / Hollywood

Edited by zaphoid
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

I take offense that San Francisco is not part of your top 5! 😄

SF is special in that it's one of the most well known worldwide yet smallest in terms of population and land mass; but honestly...I don't think of it as a "Destination City"...seriously; a pretty bridge, a crooked road and some decent chocolate? Why do people travel thousands of miles to come here?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

SF is special in that it's one of the most well known worldwide yet smallest in terms of population and land mass; but honestly...I don't think of it as a "Destination City"...seriously; a pretty bridge, a crooked road and some decent chocolate? Why do people travel thousands of miles to come here?

Alcatraz

• Like 5