Retiring Soon - open speculation

17 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Jim has split from shane. Seems Shane really owned the channel even though Jim was the figurehead. Really curious what the fight was about. (He seems less cheerful in this video)

Jim's new channel:

Thought it would have been named Macho Man Ooo Yeaaaaa bricks

In other news, Disney train retired in lego UK SAH.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jim has split from shane. Seems Shane really owned the channel even though Jim was the figurehead. Really curious what the fight was about. (He seems less cheerful in this video)
Jim's new channel:

IMO Shane is a tool and his channel will probably end in failure. In the FB group he "wishes him the best" but immediately takes down any posts that link to Jim's new channel. Seems pretty petty instead of wishing someone the best.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

IMO Shane is a tool and his channel will probably end in failure. In the FB group he "wishes him the best" but immediately takes down any posts that link to Jim's new channel. Seems pretty petty instead of wishing someone the best.

So, are you saying that you think that Jim was giving good advice? I have no idea about how the Youtube metrics/business was working out for him, but I've seen enough of his videos to know that I don't want to take much of his advice very seriously when it comes to LEGO. Plus, he puts on this big persona acting as if he's a big seller and is an expert, but then his sales figures would put him well below many of us on here... and he mortgaged a house for capital.

• Like 2

His picks are debatable (stuck with lots of olafs listening to him), defintely nuggets here and there have been new to me and overall I's say his advice is very useful for a beginner, but personally I watch it for the enthusiasm he injects in to what can sometimes be a tedious job. He makes it fun

So, are you saying that you think that Jim was giving good advice? I have no idea about how the Youtube metrics/business was working out for him, but I've seen enough of his videos to know that I don't want to take much of his advice very seriously when it comes to LEGO. Plus, he puts on this big persona acting as if he's a big seller and is an expert, but then his sales figures would put him well below many of us on here... and he mortgaged a house for capital.
No, I am not really saying that either. I watched every video by both of them as they released them and I am just think Jim's videos were more entertaining and yes, Jim actually gave set advice. From what I recall Shane has never recommended a particular set, just likes to make videos about tips, terms/phrases, and what sets he already bought for deals that were no longer available at the time the videos were released. I didn't always agree with Jim's "picks" but there are a million other channels out there that does what Shane has been doing, there are far fewer that actually say I think this set will be a winner at retirement. In the end, that is what noob sellers want, someone to hold their hand and tell them which sets to buy and I think that is why Jim's new channel will be more successful than Shane's in the long run.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

No, I am not really saying that either. I watched every video by both of them as they released them and I am just think Jim's videos were more entertaining and yes, Jim actually gave set advice. From what I recall Shane has never recommended a particular set, just likes to make videos about tips, terms/phrases, and what sets he already bought for deals that were no longer available at the time the videos were released. I didn't always agree with Jim's "picks" but there are a million other channels out there that does what Shane has been doing, there are far fewer that actually say I think this set will be a winner at retirement. In the end, that is what noob sellers want, someone to hold their hand and tell them which sets to buy and I think that is why Jim's new channel will be more successful than Shane's in the long run.

Interesting point of view and probably a pretty good assessment. Thanks

4 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

Jim's new channel:

yay another clown flooding the market with resellers. bravo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shortbus311 said:

I do not watch any LEGO investment channel (I need to watch something non-LEGO to relax :P ), but I sampled a couple videos of each guy.  I agree with your assessment.  The younger guy was more about high brow concepts while the other guy was more about ROI & sets to pick.  Also, the older one was better at breaking down processes for noobs to understand.

ETA: somebody is going to read this and take it as a compliment ;)

21 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I do not watch any LEGO investment channel (I need to watch something non-LEGO to relax :P ), but I sampled a couple videos of each guy.  I agree with your assessment.  The younger guy was more about high brow concepts while the other guy was more about ROI & sets to pick.  Also, the older one was better at breaking down processes for noobs to understand.

ETA: somebody is going to read this and take it as a compliment ;)

funny thing here is; the "What LEGO to Buy" thread is so rarely posted on, relatively.  A site devoted to resell yet most everyone holds their cards close to their vest (Yet the Non-LEGO thread is chock full of great tips).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

funny thing here is; the "What LEGO to Buy" thread is so rarely posted on, relatively.  A site devoted to resell yet most everyone holds their cards close to their vest (Yet the Non-LEGO thread is chock full of great tips).

How is that any different than other professions? :dontknow: Most plumbers are not going to tell everyone their best tricks on fixing busted pipe.  But if you take them out for a beer and ask about your problem, they most likely give you some good pointers

• Like 2

The only time any of these Youtube guys get interesting is when they interview other people about their operations.  At least that is the carrot that gets me intrigued until I hear that their collection is just nearing a value of $50k or they just hit a yearly sales volume of 6 figures.  They talk so authoritatively and then half way through video it all comes to light 😆

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gmpirate said:

The only time any of these Youtube guys get interesting is when they interview other people about their operations.  At least that is the carrot that gets me intrigued until I hear that their collection is just nearing a value of $50k or they just hit a yearly sales volume of 6 figures.  They talk so authoritatively and then half way through video it all comes to light 😆

Exactly. That's where it fell apart with Jim's videos for me. Very authoritative and then you find out the volume. 

• Like 1

The only time any of these Youtube guys get interesting is when they interview other people about their operations.  At least that is the carrot that gets me intrigued until I hear that their collection is just nearing a value of $50k or they just hit a yearly sales volume of 6 figures.  They talk so authoritatively and then half way through video it all comes to light 
This dynamic isn't all that surprising. Whenever I watched one of their videos, two quotes/sayings always came to mind: (1) those who can't do, teach, and (2) the first rule of fight club is you don't talk about fight club. They generally sounded interesting until they came to the volume/revenue numbers. I don't have broad insight into the numbers that a lot of big time sellers are putting up each year, but the numbers I am aware of put everything I've heard in those videos to shame...some sellers have hit daily sales that equal or exceed the annual sales figures of the sellers who those guys hold out as shining examples of success. That doesn't take anything away from those sellers, but I always chuckle thinking that if they could present what is truly possible, it would blow their viewer's kinds.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, redghostx said:

Elf club house seems wrong, that makes it a 3 year winter set.

Yay LEGO!

Xmas winter sets have 3 year cycle. They usually sell out in the early part of the 3rd year (q4).

Gingerbread house is about to start its 3rd xmas cycle so should sell out Sep/Oct time. Elf club should be Sep/Oct 2022