Retiring Soon - open speculation

There certainly are cultural differences between the US and the EU markets regarding LEGO. There are also Lego sets that sell much better in the US than over here in Europe. As is often stated here: know your market, and pick the sets that sell best in your own region. :)

Oh, I just noticed that both Pirates of Barracuda Bay, and Dinosaur Fossils, are Temporarily Out of Stock at LEGO Shop at Home EU. Same goes for the James Bond DB5 and the London Bus at the Creator Expert section.

Unless TLG starts up production on another badge, these sets are all 'doing the dance' ...

Edited by HandyHand

9 hours ago, Fcbarcelona101 said:

Interesting list. A lot of those make sense, with a couple of the mentioned sets being surprises (mostly Barracuda Bay and the Crocodile). Both of those I would not want to miss out of for reselling purposes. 

Really??  Unless I can secure a significant discount (doubtful) I find myself passing on all the expensive sets more and more all the time -- especially as of late.  Yes, there will be some winners, but it seems to me there aren't enough of them to outweigh the wasted storage space and capital the misses take up.  I buy some when "for sure" they are done and are drying up, but even then I'm not so sure its a great idea.

4 hours ago, HandyHand said:

There certainly are cultural differences between the US and the EU markets regarding LEGO. There are also Lego sets that sell much better in the US than over here in Europe. As is often stated here: know your market, and pick the sets that sell best in your own region. :)

Oh, I just noticed that both Pirates of Barracuda Bay, and Dinosaur Fossils, are Temporarily Out of Stock at LEGO Shop at Home EU. Same goes for the James Bond DB5 and the London Bus at the Creator Expert section.

Unless TLG starts up production on another badge, these sets are all 'doing the dance' ...

Which sets have not been doing "the dance" for the past year or so?

51 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

moments harry potter -does anyone really believe theyll be gone in just 1 year? seems crazy

these are the only 2 of the subtheme to be clearanced this round at walmart. 

the end has been foretold. 

living-end-as-foretold-banner.png

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sozial said:

Sorry for my question (my english seems not to be good enough): Were those 2 on clearence this round? 

yes they were surprisingly being sold for 40-50% off at walmart in the last 3 weeks.  these are also very lightly stocked - i don't think i've ever seen more than 3 or 4 on a shelf.  recent hp has been a wasteland for lego investing so probably the sets i don't go in on will be the winner.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cladner said:

yes they were surprisingly being sold for 40-50% off at walmart in the last 3 weeks.  these are also very lightly stocked - i don't think i've ever seen more than 3 or 4 on a shelf.  recent hp has been a wasteland for lego investing so probably the sets i don't go in on will be the winner.

May be a regional YMMV, these weren't marked down anywhere near me (Nor was The Child), but inventory levels seem pretty sparse in general, and only the larger stores seem to have them at all.

Personally, I am very on board any quickly retiring HP set, so I'll be snatching as many of these up as I can. I am a bit surprised by the short life, but a ton of sets are coming out I guess.

23 minutes ago, Achilles said:

May be a regional YMMV, these weren't marked down anywhere near me (Nor was The Child), but inventory levels seem pretty sparse in general, and only the larger stores seem to have them at all.

Personally, I am very on board any quickly retiring HP set, so I'll be snatching as many of these up as I can. I am a bit surprised by the short life, but a ton of sets are coming out I guess.

yes i think you are right.  i do not see any other stores typing in random zip codes on bseek.  just a few around here got rid of them at the first round and they were bought at $16 and $18.  i never saw any on the shelf.  i managed to miss out on all the $15 umbridges too.

Edited by cladner

1 hour ago, cladner said:

yes i think you are right.  i do not see any other stores typing in random zip codes on bseek.  just a few around here got rid of them at the first round and they were bought at $16 and $18.  i never saw any on the shelf.  i managed to miss out on all the $15 umbridges too.

My guess is that they keep it as a lego exclusive even if stores wont carry it. If anyone here remembers differently please chime in but I do not recall any HP sets that disappeared after 1 year. HP ≠ Vidiyo

3 hours ago, stuco191 said:

10874 Duplo Train seems to be gone almost everywhere. Haven’t seen it on many lists but might be worth a snag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think this will be a winner but its in stock or orderable at every shop at home site in the world including australia which usually has either unorderable, out of stock on retiring sets starting sporadiacally  by now.  hasn't gone out in a long time.  the problem with using aus oos as an indicator is there can also be a lot of out of stock sets that aren't retiring. either way this set is orderable at every shop at home in world which makes me think it is not going this year.  now maybe someone who has the list can chime in and say what the actual end-date is.

anakin jedi interceptor and minecraft end battle already sold out in australia for a while now.

Edited by cladner

On 8/3/2021 at 11:21 AM, gugclo said:

Updates from Stonewars.  Lots of D2Cs added to the list.  Not sure I believe it...

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-eol-end-of-life-2021/

I commented earlier about my surprise seeing Brickheadz Voldemort retiring soon. Hope I didn't cause a buying frenzy. Link above is what I was reacting to. Like Gugclo I'm skeptical

1 minute ago, ponderingzissou said:

I commented earlier about my surprise seeing Brickheadz Voldemort retiring soon. Hope I didn't cause a buying frenzy. Link above is what I was reacting to. Like Gugclo I'm skeptical

It seems that for BrickHeadz, first drop stayed for ages (Jack sparrow / Salazar / Black Widow etc), then subsequent IP versions were only on sale for a few weeks at SAH.

Alot of people complained so seems that BrickHeadz no longer are on the short shelf life. I had high hopes for Monkie Kid / Dragon Dance Guy / Donald / Goofy, but I think they might have stayed out for too long now, and won't perform like the original mickey / Minnie mouse.

Original HP BrickHeadz still performing well (to my surprise, as I thought they would take a dip, but hasn't happened on eBay UK). 

I personally don't think any of the recent BrickHeadz will have a short shelflife (I.e. 1/2 months) but who knows in post COVID manufacturing times.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Speaking of Brickheadz, The Nutcracker (40425) gives 404 error on LEGO Shop at Home and I can't find it on Amazon.  What gives?

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/nutcracker-40425

I think previous Seasonal winter BrickHeadz lasted for 2 winters. Usually winter/ Xmas sets dissappear on SAH out of season and come back in stock autumn / winter time.

• Like 2