Retiring Soon - open speculation

45 minutes ago, pharmjod said:

I would actually prefer all the YouTubers go away and stop giving advice. Good, bad or otherwise. Competition only hurts you as a seller. All these people that want to preach about having a scarcity mentality being bad can take a hike. If your primary hustle is selling LEGO, more people selling LEGO is rarely a good thing.

Competitions come and go.  Hopefully the sane ones realize retail is not for them and leave after a few months.

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

Smash that Subscribe button and click that bell to receive notifications for all my videos.

I've watched these Youtubers for a while and if I wanted to be one, I would choose to be a video gamer.  Much easier to gain subscribers.  I just need to be marginally better than most gamers out there :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I've watched these Youtubers for a while and if I wanted to be one, I would choose to be a video gamer.  Much easier to gain subscribers.  I just need to be marginally better than most gamers out there :P

Anecdotally; if one was to ask a junior high class what they plan to do when they grow up over half will say youtuber or influencer on social media

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Anecdotally; if one was to ask a junior high class what they plan to do when they grow up over half will say youtuber or influencer on social media

Yeah, and we wanted to be a firemen or astronauts

8 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

A friend of my son moved to California (not sure he is still there), to help out his social influencer career. I really have no idea what large numbers are in this genre, but he has 2.7 million fans on TikTok, and 380k on Instagram. I don't know what the threshold is for actually making a living at this.

• Like 1

A friend of my son moved to California (not sure he is still there), to help out his social influencer career. I really have no idea what large numbers are in this genre, but he has 2.7 million fans on TikTok, and 380k on Instagram. I don't know what the threshold is for actually making a living at this.
Which to me seems backwards to move to the most expensive state in the US to launch a struggling career. My kid watches one of the most successful YouTubers out there, Mr Beast, and he lives and makes all of his videos in a small town in NC.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah, but it got them away from mom and dad, too. I actually watched some of the videos (they were pretty awful), and two of my son's friends are in most of them. I don't get it, but, there's a lot I don't get about TikTok. I just texted one of the dad's to see if they are still out there.

56 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Your friend's son is way over the numbers needed to make a living as an "influencer". The number of followers are surprisingly low to get paid enough to make a living doing that based on an article I read about the topic. Article below.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/30/how-much-money-you-can-make-off-social-media-following-calculator.html

• Like 1

Your friend's son is way over the numbers needed to make a living as an "influencer". The number of followers are surprisingly low to get paid enough to make a living doing that based on an article I read about the topic. Article below.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/30/how-much-money-you-can-make-off-social-media-following-calculator.html
Wow, those numbers from that article are a lot lower than I expected them to be.

38 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

Btw, I know that this is probably the wrong thread, but I do have a new favorite Lego YouTuber, I love this persons energy and her quirkiness. I would much rather watch her videos than MandR or Jang...

https://youtube.com/c/Emmasaurus

Jangs videos are better than melatonin. 

That said, I don't have anything against him. He just has a Bob Ross like voice. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Brystheguy said:

We're on the same page. We should be grateful for anyone giving advice as most people don't.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

There's a lot of good advice on these boards for those listening.  A little understated, but its there.  Hint:  It's not the guys getting excited every time Tree House comes back at 15% off.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

How many wished they did not sale anything online come tax day for 2021 income ? :devil:

I come to that dilemma every year end.  Hard to swallow forking out those taxes right after December.  Still have to talk to my accountant about writing off inventory . . .