Retiring Soon - open speculation

Dubai definitely goes this year.

NY, Tokyo and Statue of Liberty: December 2022. 

Brick Fanatics date leaks look like the real deal so far. 

Speaking of very old sets, I wouldn't load up on 31058 Mighty Dinosaur this year either. 

Edited by Goblin
  • Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 5:20 PM, joneyyy1981 said:

just had a DM from the guy over at brickfanatics,

architecture sets leaving in 2021

san fancisco

trafalgar SQ

Empire state

Dubai

Burj Khalifa

2022 list

new york

staue of liberty

london

paris

tokyo

the white house

5 sets retiring seems a lot?

cannot for the life of me see 5 sets leaving with only 1 new architecture set incoming..? maybe the old series small skyline etc sets will be waterd down then new larger architecture sets

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

cannot for the life of me see 5 sets leaving with only 1 new architecture set incoming..? maybe the old series small skyline etc sets will be waterd down then new larger architecture sets

Could be because they are getting rid of all sets with old architecture box style (compared with new 18+ box)

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Lobot said:

75954 is showing as 'Sold Out' on the UK website - presumably 75953 won't be far behind...

75954.jpg

Will probably take until end of the year for all shops to clear inventory, pretty much every shop in UK had these, smyths just recently had a new delivery and every store fully stocked. 

1 hour ago, Voltron said:

Will probably take until end of the year for all shops to clear inventory, pretty much every shop in UK had these, smyths just recently had a new delivery and every store fully stocked. 

I think they will go quite quick. Smyths might take longer, maybe they'll reduce them to make room for the new sets soon. I do think most people have given up on this set for potential given the new release.

Given how good the new set is I think this one will be a poor performer and gains will be very minimal.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, raulaco said:

Given how good the new set is I think this one will be a poor performer and gains will be very minimal.

How many Harry Potter sets in this size/price range can you name that have performed poorly after retirement?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, redcell said:

How many Harry Potter sets in this size/price range can you name that have performed poorly after retirement?

How many harry potter sets in this size/price have been re made into an overall better set straight after retirement?

You can't compare this to other models at all.

Edited by raulaco

17 minutes ago, raulaco said:

How many harry potter sets in this size/price have been re made into an overall better set straight after retirement?

You can't compare this to other models at all.

Well, given that there have been at least 4 different Hogwarts Castle sets of the same general variety and 4 different Hogwarts Express, I do think that there is some past performance that we can look to here.  Now, I'm sure you'll say "Well, yes, but those all had at least 1 year in between releases."  And my response would be "Sure, but what difference does that make?  Why would the gap in between the sets be the critical factor in whether they perform well or not?"

I admittedly haven't been paying much attention to the HP sets over the last few months so I may have missed something, but if the "overall better set" that you're referring to is the Great Hall & Chamber of Secrets set, you're not talking about the same set at all.  

• Like 6

I'm going to have to agree with @redcellhere. The new great hall coming out is nice, but the current one is a really fantastic building outside of being in the harry potter theme. It looks and feel like a more adult build to me. Also, there are still 3 sets that will persist that go with it. It's not like there isn't anything that will drive people to it. I don't see any downside to it imo.

• Like 2

I think as long as there's new energy coming in to the series such as new different sets, movies, shows, etc...that's like a rising tide raising all boats. Keeps the series relevant and folks thinking about it. The new Hogwarts is nice but it's also different and it's not clear if there will be modular towers/halls coming down the chute...w/ the underground piece i find it a bit more challenging to do so.  That difference alone seems really key. I had an adult collector buyer get all 4 modulars at one time...loads of MFs and coming together as a massive playset are their best appeal, IMO

On 5/17/2021 at 10:33 AM, redcell said:

Well, given that there have been at least 4 different Hogwarts Castle sets of the same general variety and 4 different Hogwarts Express, I do think that there is some past performance that we can look to here.  Now, I'm sure you'll say "Well, yes, but those all had at least 1 year in between releases."  And my response would be "Sure, but what difference does that make?  Why would the gap in between the sets be the critical factor in whether they perform well or not?"

I admittedly haven't been paying much attention to the HP sets over the last few months so I may have missed something, but if the "overall better set" that you're referring to is the Great Hall & Chamber of Secrets set, you're not talking about the same set at all.  

Harry Potter sets are largely immune to the damaging effects of remakes (they have that secret ingredient).

• 2 weeks later...

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.stonewars.de/&prev=search

JUne 7th Update on Summer Retirement article from Stonewars 

Basically certain sets get extended to end of year being sold directly from LEGO (LEGO Shop at Home) and select retailers.  Seems like more overall ambiguity to me.

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

1 minute ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.stonewars.de/&prev=search

Basically certain sets get extended to end of year being sold directly from LEGO (LEGO Shop at Home) and select retailers.  Seems like more overall ambiguity to me.

thanks. yeah its a confusing article. 

main takeaway for many would be that stonewars strongly believes that the razor crest in no way shape or form is retiring in 2020. which I 100% think makes perfect sense.

17 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Main takeaway is for me is they are, like all sites, speculating on the future, based on the past. 

I think RC will have stopped production before end of 2021, stock levels will determine how long it hangs around at LEGO Shop at Home/Amazon

25 minutes ago, roxio said:

Main takeaway is for me is they are, like all sites, speculating on the future, based on the past. 

I think RC will have stopped production before end of 2021, stock levels will determine how long it hangs around at LEGO Shop at Home/Amazon

best thing to take away from this list is that brick fanatics posted the list months ago.... hopefully they are correct with ideas, expert, architecture retiting list as well

3 hours ago, sad7287 said:

I just saw that there are 5 of the Millennium Falcon UCS 75192 online somewhere.  Are these typically hard to find? I am interested in flipping some (and then keeping one for myself).  Just wondering if it is worth the trouble.

Definitely not.  Pass