Retiring Soon - open speculation

13 minutes ago, Val-E said:

One thing to remember before we go further off topic is if they get paid on orders or actual sales. YSB had a massive initial production run so he could yet be richer than Maze, Mars Rover or RI and Exo designers.

Maybe one day someoned will make a documentary about the lives of the IDEAS designers afterwards.

When you think about the fact, that Mr. Mars Rover has earned 30000 × 1% of 24.99 = 7500, then I have made exactly the same money having sold 100 of them after retirement. This means that for a Mr. Apollo villa Lego would need to sell 500000 Saturn V - what is really impossible with the current production setup at Lego.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
5 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

When you think about the fact, that Mr. Mars Rover has earned 30000 × 1% of 24.99 = 7500, then I have made exactly the same money having sold 100 of them after retirement. This means that for a Mr. Apollo villa Lego would need to sell 500000 Saturn V - what is really impossible with the current production setup at Lego.

How do you know that 30,000 Mars Rovers were made? I think it’s at least 10x more as the limited edition 41999 had 20,000 produced.

4 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

How do you know that 30,000 Mars Rovers were made? I think it’s at least 10x more as the limited edition 41999 had 20,000 produced.

MR production run was limited as well due to CUUSOO restrictions. Lego 21000 had 10000 pieces. Hayabusa 20000. I was pretty sure that MR had 20000 too, but in one former discussions one user has pointed out that they have increased the planned production runs from 2 to 3 what makes 30000 sets. Some time later they changed the program name to Ideas but the set amount restriction has remained - clearly at higher level.

• Like 2

IMHO... No! and here's why...
Even though The Beatles have a massive fan base, they may not be into LEGO all that much. I think the YS will settle at just above RRP making it a poorer investment than most, a bit like Doctor Who that's already been gone a while. but not reaching RRP yet. Also Doctor Who was heaving discounted (often down to around £20) meaning that there's an easy £15 profit now if you still sell just under RRP. The same can't be said for the YS which is why I'm staying well away from them. I'd buy at 66% off, not a penny more.

This is very true. We gave a copy of this set to a friend who is a huge Beatles fan...he looked at it like it was an alien and needed the help of his daughter's boyfriend to build it.

4 minutes ago, redcell said:

This is very true. We gave a copy of this set to a friend who is a huge Beatles fan...he looked at it like it was an alien and needed the help of his daughter's boyfriend to build it.

You might be able to get him hooked on Duplo....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Lego seemed to changed completely the way they are managing the stock and production cycle for the sets that were initially planned to be considered later for EOL. Limiting completely productions from Q2 for certain sets that were planned to be discontinued initially that's why we missed the opportunities to see Retitiring Soon on many of those already retired this fall.

Talked today with Leicester Sq supervisor and they've got indeed the list of sets that are going to be retired already because TLG is expecting them to rearrange the existing stock for the Christmas time without further delivery of those sets that are recalled or are intended to be recalled. No one wants to see the empty holes on the shelves especially in the store such as Leicester.

I didn't see the list myself but there will be plenty of the sets weaving farewell. I'm still considering the list mentioned above as inconsistent and unreliable, but I'm gonna leave you in this guessing game. it certainly looks like you are enjoying that.

Although I wanted to buy for myself the Halloween special set, but it was gone :S such a disappointment :(

• Like 3

Lego seemed to changed completely the way they are managing the stock and production cycle for the sets that were initially planned to be considered later for EOL. Limiting completely productions from Q2 for certain sets that were planned to be discontinued initially that's why we missed the opportunities to see Retitiring Soon on many of those already retired this fall.
Talked today with Leicester Sq supervisor and they've got indeed the list of sets that are going to be retired already because TLG is expecting them to rearrange the existing stock for the Christmas time without further delivery of those sets that are recalled or are intended to be recalled. No one wants to see the empty holes on the shelves especially in the store such as Leicester.

I didn't see the list myself but there will be plenty of the sets weaving farewell. I'm still considering the list mentioned above as inconsistent and unreliable, but I'm gonna leave you in this guessing game. it certainly looks like you are enjoying that.

Although I wanted to buy for myself the Halloween special set, but it was gone :S such a disappointment

You might just be the one in the guessing game.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shewie said:

Although I wanted to buy for myself the Halloween special set, but it was gone :S such a disappointment :(

I've thought about this too.  I almost think because they fired a bunch of employees and are restructuring things all of these sets giving advance notice of EOL might be a one off.  A Red Wedding of sorts. That may be why I was surprised to see 5 Architecture sets retire all at once.  Just cut their losses on the under performing sets and move on.  Also makes me wonder about the White House.  If the WH would've survived last year would they have also kept it this year because it's a best seller?  That's probably why the Eiffel Tower is still there.

7 hours ago, LegoSteve said:

I've thought about this too.  I almost think because they fired a bunch of employees and are restructuring things all of these sets giving advance notice of EOL might be a one off.  A Red Wedding of sorts. That may be why I was surprised to see 5 Architecture sets retire all at once.  Just cut their losses on the under performing sets and move on.  Also makes me wonder about the White House.  If the WH would've survived last year would they have also kept it this year because it's a best seller?  That's probably why the Eiffel Tower is still there.

Amazon sales rank is a good, if fallible, indicator of what sets are likely to retire early or on schedule.

Another is the next wave of new sets. Lego are always talking about not cannibalising sales by having similar sets on the go, so if you see a new wave set that looks like an existing one, it might be for the chop. That´s why the R1 and TFA sets are leaving en masse what with Solo and TLJ aroud the corner.

• Like 1

I think most of the list provided is viable and would be on my predicted list. 

The surprises for me in that list would be 

Minecraft Ice Spikes - Very short production run so far. 

Technic Telehandler - Why would they retire a 2017 set that is part of the combo to build their special anniversary model?

The Phantom - Very short shelf life for a reasonably cheap set with in demand figure.

I know someone mentioned that 5 on the list are wrong.  I think these are 3 of them. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fantomas007 said:

I still dont know what is the source of the list of retiring sets, since the European SaH is showing just 47 sets, no Class, no Volvo...

Read back a few pages and you´ll get it. Another thing is whether you believe it is legit or not.

• Like 2

I think most of the list provided is viable and would be on my predicted list. 
The surprises for me in that list would be 
Minecraft Ice Spikes - Very short production run so far. 
Technic Telehandler - Why would they retire a 2017 set that is part of the combo to build their special anniversary model?
The Phantom - Very short shelf life for a reasonably cheap set with in demand figure.
I know someone mentioned that 5 on the list are wrong.  I think these are 3 of them. 

The 5 on the list that are incorrect have already been clarified.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

How about, “Resurrecting Soon - open speculation”?

I did create a thread “Resurrection - back from the dead” ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, ravenb99 said:

just begging for the Winter Village Market story aren't you...

Oh yes, a prime example of a resurrected set - LOL.

lego  10734 Juniors Demolition site OOS at walmart, third party only at amazon, full price msrp at target but EOL is near.  Was clearanced at walmart earlier this summer.  this set just reeks of easy money from 1%'er grandma.  check out 10666 and 10667. ain't no lie.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 3