Retiring Soon - open speculation

Guest TabbyBoy

I wish that sets could just be retired without any warning - it's all part of the fun!

We're not idiots and we all know that LEGO probably tag sets that they have problems getting rid of.

Somehow, I don't think 21309 will be tagged, it'll just disappear.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I wish that sets could just be retired without any warning - it's all part of the fun!

We're not idiots and we all know that LEGO probably tag sets that they have problems getting rid of.

Somehow, I don't think 21309 will be tagged, it'll just disappear.

I agree with all 3. I wish Brickheadz would have just vanished. 

Edited by Villager Chris
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, john wilkins1 said:

is beatles yellow submarine a good investment.

IMHO... No! and here's why...

Even though The Beatles have a massive fan base, they may not be into LEGO all that much. I think the YS will settle at just above RRP making it a poorer investment than most, a bit like Doctor Who that's already been gone a while. but not reaching RRP yet. Also Doctor Who was heaving discounted (often down to around £20) meaning that there's an easy £15 profit now if you still sell just under RRP. The same can't be said for the YS which is why I'm staying well away from them. I'd buy at 66% off, not a penny more.

3 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

IMHO... No! and here's why...

Even though The Beatles have a massive fan base, they may not be into LEGO all that much. I think the YS will settle at just above RRP making it a poorer investment than most, a bit like Doctor Who that's already been gone a while. but not reaching RRP yet. Also Doctor Who was heaving discounted (often down to around £20) meaning that there's an easy £15 profit now if you still sell just under RRP. The same can't be said for the YS which is why I'm staying well away from them. I'd buy at 66% off, not a penny more.

I'm sure you've stated before that this is a good investment set ???

IMHO this is a great set to invest in but like others has stated the buyin is key. It's got a lot going for it and I wouldn't be surprised if it performed as well or if not better than wall e. The fact that it's yet to be heavy discounted is a good plus and also that it seems to sell well on the bay consistently at near rrp. The obvious problem is acquiring it at a good price. Damn you tesco why didn't your sale go ahead at 12. Too tired to wait up any longer lol.

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, raulaco said:

I'm sure you've stated before that this is a good investment set ???

IMHO this is a great set to invest in but like others has stated the buyin is key. It's got a lot going for it and I wouldn't be surprised if it performed as well or if not better than wall e. The fact that it's yet to be heavy discounted is a good plus and also that it seems to sell well on the bay consistently at near rrp. The obvious problem is acquiring it at a good price. Damn you tesco why didn't your sale go ahead at 12. Too tired to wait up any longer lol.

I did, but I assumed big discounts down the line which didn’t happen with this set. It’s also VERY widely available everywhere (except Tesco - LOL). My buy-in for the YS is £25 max.

34 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I did, but I assumed big discounts down the line which didn’t happen with this set. It’s also VERY widely available everywhere (except Tesco - LOL). My buy-in for the YS is £25 max.

Is this possible,  apart from a pricing error? I don't think we'll ever see 60% off an Ideas set any more. 

11 minutes ago, Villager Chris said:

I wonder what would happen if Kevin Szeto (YS), and the designers of Research Institute, Maze and even Apollo, ended up at a dinner party together and discussed Lego royalties? I guess Kevin would have to pick up the tab, unless they were eating at McDonalds. 

The guy who designed the original GBHQ is probably serving them!

• Sad 1

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, Villager Chris said:

I wonder what would happen if Kevin Szeto (YS), and the designers of Research Institute, Maze and even Apollo, ended up at a dinner party together and discussed Lego royalties? I guess Kevin would have to pick up the tab, unless they were eating at McDonalds. 

I bet “ Mr. Apollo” is having a whale of a time at his new beachfront villa. His only dilemma is whether to put another lobster tail or Kobe steak on the BBQ. While... “Mr. Adventure Time” is currently foraging in the trash for scraps.

1 minute ago, TabbyBoy said:

I bet “ Mr. Apollo” is having a whale of a time at his new beachfront villa. His only dilemma is whether to put another lobster tail or Kobe steak on the BBQ. While... “Mr. Adventure Time” is currently foraging in the trash for scraps.

One thing to remember before we go further off topic is if they get paid on orders or actual sales. YSB had a massive initial production run so he could yet be richer than Maze, Mars Rover or RI and Exo designers.

Maybe one day someoned will make a documentary about the lives of the IDEAS designers afterwards.

• Like 1