Ideas #006: 21108 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1

Jeff Mack

Agreed that if you are investing in this set it's a waste of money to customize it. If you want to display it though the mods they have out there are well worth it, and yes rotta the hut makes a perfect slimer.

Actually Diamond Select made Ghostbusters minimates that are a little bigger than Lego, but they had every character including slimerDMC11555.jpg

Ecto-1 still not sold out in the UK, hardly surprising at that price!

My guess is Lego manufactured boat loads of these anticipating strong demand. I would guess these will stay in stock awhile. That said, they will now probably go TOOS tomorrow.

I agree that even in the US this is on the expensive side at $50. But, four minifigs + license + strong demand means they can charge it and people will pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

My guess is Lego manufactured boat loads of these anticipating strong demand. I would guess these will stay in stock awhile. That said, they will now probably go TOOS tomorrow.

I agree that even in the US this is on the expensive side at $50. But, four minifigs + license + strong demand means they can charge it and people will pay.

$50 MSRP isn't "too bad" considering the 4 highly detailed minifigs, printed bricks and 500 elements. If it's anything like the BTTF set, we'll start seeing discount from amazon and target in a couple of months.

I assume the MF Hearse is the closest comparison and that was $35 MSRP with 3 figs and 200ish less elements.

Thanks,

J A is Online

- Sent using an iPad

I built it last night. Here are my thoughts:

Good:

- Incredible detail. Its really nice looking and I think really does the car and the people justice

- Box and the booklet are beautiful. I will be displaying both with it.

- The car moves well and I think there is definitely some good playability with the ladder and ghost blasters, etc.

Bad/not as good

- I think the price may be a bit high. There are A LOT of small pieces. It doesn't seem to weigh any more than the delorean. I think $25 or $40 would have been better. 

- Small pieces = a lot of stuff can pop off while you are just carrying it because of the detail. I had to rebuild parts of it a couple of times.

- This is the scariest, but I could be imagining it - haven't had a chance to check yet. I handle minifigures everyday parting stuff out. Like 20-30 and when I am opening sets, 100s. These felt weird to me. I immediately noticed I thought they were lighter and I thought they felt cheaper for some reason. I could have been imagining it.

I am going to weigh them and take a closer look tonight (it was way late when I finished last night). Others feel free to inspect to make sure. 

• Like 1

I have a lego VIP question. I didn't want to start a whole new post for this elsewhere.

If I redeem a $5 or $10 VIP rewards balance to buy something from Lego, do I still get points for the balance? For example if I buy 2 of these sets online for $100 and use $10 in VIP points, do I still get 90 VIP points for the purchase or are VIP points not earned on any purchase discounted by rewards?

I have a lego VIP question. I didn't want to start a whole new post for this elsewhere.

If I redeem a $5 or $10 VIP rewards balance to buy something from Lego, do I still get points for the balance? For example if I buy 2 of these sets online for $100 and use $10 in VIP points, do I still get 90 VIP points for the purchase or are VIP points not earned on any purchase discounted by rewards?

You get 90 VIP points.

I assume the MF Hearse is the closest comparison and that was $35 MSRP with 3 figs and 200ish less elements.

And there really is no comparison between the two once you have them side by side. The detail on the Ecto blows the hearse out of the water. They are on two entirely different levels. Hopefully, there will be some discounts in the future for the Ecto though.

I built it last night. Here are my thoughts:

Good:

- Incredible detail. Its really nice looking and I think really does the car and the people justice

- Box and the booklet are beautiful. I will be displaying both with it.

- The car moves well and I think there is definitely some good playability with the ladder and ghost blasters, etc.

Bad/not as good

- I think the price may be a bit high. There are A LOT of small pieces. It doesn't seem to weigh any more than the delorean. I think $25 or $40 would have been better.

- Small pieces = a lot of stuff can pop off while you are just carrying it because of the detail. I had to rebuild parts of it a couple of times.

- This is the scariest, but I could be imagining it - haven't had a chance to check yet. I handle minifigures everyday parting stuff out. Like 20-30 and when I am opening sets, 100s. These felt weird to me. I immediately noticed I thought they were lighter and I thought they felt cheaper for some reason. I could have been imagining it.

I am going to weigh them and take a closer look tonight (it was way late when I finished last night). Others feel free to inspect to make sure.

I thought this about flash in the Riddler Chase set

Guest TabbyBoy

I was going to send back some where the box was partially damaged (not really bad at all).  Are you thinking based on the above OOS trend I should not?

I was going to do a quick flip compared to other sets i buy and decided its not happening, send them back.

Thoughts?

In the UK, box condition is critical so I'd send them back asap or ask for a generous discount.