10236 - UCS: Ewok Village

emazers

I agree. However, there was a dud called B-wing in the collectors series. Unfortunately, I have boxes and boxes of them.

um what?!?! The b wing cost me 100.00 and came with freebies. It sells for 230 ish.

I swear some of you reslly do think we are still in green grocer Cafe corner era. B wing was a slam dunk investment.

• Like 2

I agree.   However, there was a dud called B-wing in the collectors series.  Unfortunately, I have boxes and boxes of them.

sorry to be nosy, what's your buy-in on those?

RRP => 199 (unless your buy-in is @ RRP (then its ....) ,

with all those sale it was @ i would say its giving healthy return ) better than 10215 ( is finally reaching 2XRRP in 3 years. )

Edited by newbie77

Offcourse Ed is right. No question about it. If I would have unlimited resources I would buy them just to be sure. I am not questioning if this set will be a winner or not. I just do not like it or it does not wow me. So when I make choices in what to invest liking it is one of my criterias. And this set is high on my low priority list.  

Please, invest in my village.

tumblr_ljxwnhW2Kt1qguurxo1_500.gif

I think that any investor who already invested more than $5,000 in different sets should have at least one ewok village (with 10% off at least). Just in case. As always, a diversified brickfolio is a good idea IMHO.

But for a new coming investor who can afford to invest only $500, I couldn't say "ok, go buy two EV, that's great"...

For example I think that a R5 (considering the new tie UCS) + any other exclusive set (two modulars for example) would be so much better...

IMO the EV is a good way to diversify a brickfolio. Better than adding some more pet shops or R5 if you already have tons of them. But to focus on the EV and get a lot of them ? Thanks but no thanks.

• Like 1

The B-wing was a dud nobody was buying them thats why they had the big sale for $100.00, But the Ewok Village is not a dud, look I tell you guys what Exclusives should do very well down the road, I buy everything that I tell everybody else to buy. How many thought the R2 Droid and AA and SSD, etc and are all saying why didn't I get more of these. Ed

• Like 1

The B-wing was a dud nobody was buying them thats why they had the big sale for $100.00, But the Ewok Village is not a dud, look I tell you guys what Exclusives should do very well down the road, I buy everything that I tell everybody else to buy. How many thought the R2 Droid and AA and SSD, etc and are all saying why didn't I get more of these. Ed

one notable difference, i think,  is that we were not experiencing "horde effect" during B2. i am almost sure that it would not have been a dud today......

again its my opinion not an edict :D

The empire inherited badly designed clones and conscripts from conquered planets so they were never elite to begin with. 

And the ewoks were in their home environment like guerilla warfare.  Totally believeable.  Plus chewie took over an AT ST.

Edited by sauromosis

Sorry to say that but the way you argue is fatuitous/narrow-minded.

You hate Ewoks, you don't invest. That's alright with me and I couldn't care less.

But seriously investing (especially with big money) is not about your personal liking or disliking of something.

If you only buy sets for small money and your emergency plan is to open them and use them yourself if you don't get as much as you wanted for them your personal taste might be important. But I guess nobody here opens 10 R2D2s even if he likes them. (okay bad example, I actually can imagine how people would open 10 R2D2 just to put them everywhere and build cool tables etc. ^.^ ).

For most sets I buy it's true that I like them and it's difficult for me to invest into sets that I don't really like, but still I do (because it's not about owning them myself but about selling them later on).

Do I like the UCS Helicarrier? Nope... Did I buy one? Nobody cares :-P (but yes I did...).

It's the same with the UCS Tumbler or SC and so on.

"At RRP... 1x EV = 12x RI, let's see how it pans out a year from now."

--> That's the second point why to me your argument isn't any good.

Selling 1xEV is 12 times less work than selling 12x RI.

Personally I do not see how this is so much of a win. You might be right about it being the winner financially speaking, but I wouldn't be too sure about it (especially if you count in your time selling it etc.). Also 12x RI is 12x the risks that come with selling.

I don't say that EV is one of the sets I'll go big with, but my aim is to get my minimum full of them.

So let's see what other sets there are that might be worth getting (which might be close to EOL):

- ToO

- UCS X-Wing

- PC

- ((probably not anywhere close) UCS Sandcrawler)

- Seacow

- PS

That's it for me when talking about the bigger ones (other people here might have other opinions).

EV

Contra:

1. it's expensive

2. not necessarily made for display purposes only but rather as a play set

3. Ewoks might not be the most popular thing in the SW universe

4. Collectors might not want it as much as they want other UCS because of points 2 and 3

Pro:

1. it's expensive! (you people know why this is a Pro don't you?)

2. not necessarily made for display purposes but rather as a play set --> personally I do not agree because it depends on how you display. If you want to display Star Wars scences (and that's a lot of fun!) then this set is pretty nice for it even though it's not a large model of some vehicle... And even though the opinions about this set when it comes to being displayed are divided I've seen not few reviews or posts where people discribe it as an eye-catcher (even compared to other UCS SW).

3. Ewoks might not be the most popular thing in the SW universe, but they are cute little furballs and even though I agree that it's a little bit silly how they've been used in the movies it's a matter of perspective. A lot of (female) friends of mine just LOVE the Ewoks because they are so adorably cute.

Also children are not as bothered about them as adults might be.

Will parents stop showing their children the original movies? Maybe, but probably not for a long time... Oh there are those cool Ewoks and the Ewok village! One of the main settings in the final movie of that triology... oh and look! there even is a LEGO set for it! doesn't sound like people might be looking for it in a couple of years? I guess one can argue...

4. Collectors might still want it just because it's an UCS or maybe they don't... I mean honestly it doesn't matter which UCS SW we're talking about, there always will be collectors who will want it and those who won't. Do I want to own a SSD? Nope... But I really wanted an AT-ST and if there ever is an AT-AT I'm in for that too! It's a personal thing and with 7 billion people on this planet there are enough potential customers for every UCS.

5. BECAUSE investors ambivalent feeling about this set there might not be as much competition later on...

In conclusion this set might not seem like an obvious winner but also it doesn't seem like a total loser. To me it's one of the more thrilling Sets that came out the last years.

Also: I don't get what exactly should be wrong with the box art... I mean I don't think people really care that much about it anyway.

(Yeah okay the new UCS Tie Fighter box art really is cool and makes you wanna buy it! But most box arts are more or less neutral I'd say).

The wonderful thing about LEGO these days it that there are so many cool sets that potentially are a good investment that it doesn't really matter if you buy EV or else. I only want to point out that EV has quite some qualities which stand in favor for it compared to other UCS.

If you are an investor it doesn't really matter... if you miss the boat on EV it probably won't hurt you as much as missing the boat on the MF or the Imperial Flagship etc. did. I don't think EV will come close behind some of these sets but if it does I'd be upset not to own at least one or two of them.

We should have more of these posts. Very complete indeed. 

Maybe 1 thing I would add: for anybody who would like to build an EWOK scene (one of the most memorable ones in the original SW series), this is the only set (the first) you can get. There are no smaller alternatives like is the case with the SSD, B-wing or X-wing. So the daddy who wants to surprise his kid with an E-wok village, has little choice than to buy this set... from a reseller when it goes EOL. 

And that's a nice thought I think: it's going to be a rare, unique set.  (until they do a remake)

Or the money is made on purchase Not on sale argument.

What u pay and what u sell is what matters. Profit. Everything else is just insignificant details. Pointless debates.

Exactly. So while it might be a winner for you personally and others who bought it at $100, it is a dud for everyone else. THAT GUY claimed it was a dud for HIM. You told him he was wrong because it was a winner for YOU. I do agree it is a completely pointless debate though.

Exactly. So while it might be a winner for you personally and others who bought it at $100, it is a dud for everyone else. THAT GUY claimed it was a dud for HIM. You told him he was wrong because it was a winner for YOU. I do agree it is a completely pointless debate though.

valid point and well said. But the original post spoke in generalities.

I'll go out on a limb and say at least half the people on here got the b wing for 100 and not msrp. Even less if you factor in Vip points and promos depending how one does bookkeeping.

The empire inherited badly designed clones and conscripts from conquered planets so they were never elite to begin with. 

And the ewoks were in their home environment like guerilla warfare.  Totally believeable.  Plus chewie took over an AT ST.

The emperor did say he sent an entire battalion of his "best troops" to Endor, so I'm assuming these are highly trained troops and not just conscripts.  But you're right, the Ewoks had home field advantage and used it well.  They look cutesy but they don't shy away from murdering people - they were about to cook Han for dinner until Leia showed up.

• Like 2

The emperor did say he sent an entire battalion of his "best troops" to Endor, so I'm assuming these are highly trained troops and not just conscripts. But you're right, the Ewoks had home field advantage and used it well. They look cutesy but they don't shy away from murdering people - they were about to cook Han for dinner until Leia showed up.

Hey hey! spoiler alert!
  • Like 5

The emperor did say he sent an entire battalion of his "best troops" to Endor, so I'm assuming these are highly trained troops and not just conscripts.  But you're right, the Ewoks had home field advantage and used it well.  They look cutesy but they don't shy away from murdering people - they were about to cook Han for dinner until Leia showed up.

Anyone ever played SW Battlefields 2 would agree that Endor was one of the most difficult battlefield for the Empire side.  They showed up on a jungle moon with equipment more fitting for battle at Naboo :D

I still hate the Ewoks though :devil:

I've built a lot of Lego since getting out of my dark age, mostly in the Star Wars theme.  Ewok Village is right at the top of my favorite sets.  The build was fun, it displays great, and yes I will admit I might play with it every once in a while.

The one thing I wish could be changed is the box art, it's pretty awful.  Would be so cool if it had the same style they used for the Sandcrawler and TIE Fighter.

I wonder what critics would say about this set as an investment if LEGO threw out the figures, repackaged the whole thing and called it "Treetop Palace" - a massive jungle-like adventure park set with 1900+ pieces, totally unique, never done before, never to be done again. So, just forget about the Ewoks and forget about the license for one second! Isn't this huge playable scenario set something absolutely special worth the money anyway? It could even be paired with other themes like Pirates, Dino oder Jurassic World. Try to see it from another angle. The other question would be, of course, if potential buyers would get this "alternative" idea, too.

I see what you are saying but the truth is it would be just plain silly to buy the set for the alternative reasons you stated when it would be way cheaper to just MOC a jungle scene. Trust me people are going to buy it for what it is, nothing more.

You're clearly underestimating the number of people who are looking for a set of giant trees.

• Like 1

I see what you are saying but the truth is it would be just plain silly to buy the set for the alternative reasons you stated when it would be way cheaper to just MOC a jungle scene. Trust me people are going to buy it for what it is, nothing more.

Shouldn't the "bricklinking/MOCing is way cheaper" argument eradicate LEGO investing as a whole because in this case no one would spend 2-5x MSRP on any set? To me it seems like "bricklinking/MOCing is way more time-comsuming (so I'll just pay those damn 2-5x MSRP)" has beaten the ascpect of being cheaper pretty much all the time until now. I mean why don't people MOC/bricklink Caf