10236 - UCS: Ewok Village

emazers

I love this set. I don't build much but would love to do a huge scene with a few of these, the shield generator battle, and the death star hanging above. Never understood the ewok hate, they work perfect in the movie. 

I have fond memories of them from from 35 years ago and I still would, if it wasn't for Jar Jar.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Ciglione and Tabby so basically you are saying you can't stand this set so everyone will avoid it and you will corner the market right?

Ask Ed/Jeff (I grant permission) and they'll tell you how many I have in my updated Brickfolio.

Guest TabbyBoy

My sentiments exactly every time you tell us how many rovers you have or how many RIs you plan of getting or how you think city sets are rubbish or how you hate ewoks.

You seem to post RIs and Rovers a lot more often than I do.  There's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion on this forum as I'm sure there's some sets that you also have strong opinions on and I respect that.  We all know some CITY sets do lack invesment potential like the frequently refreshed vehicles, police and fire sets.  There are some great CITY sets like the Town Square, Trains and Airports that I have invested heavily in and already made good money on.

I LOVE RESEARCH INSTITUTES !!!

I LOVE MARS ROVERS !!!

BUT... I HATE EWOKS !!!

I don't care if lots of people lose their shirts with this set, I just ain't gonna be one of them!

At RRP... 1x EV = 12x RI, let's see how it pans out a year from now.

Can someone please create a poll (including zero as an option) as I think a lot of you will be surprised.

Edited by TabbyBoy

You seem to post RIs and Rovers a lot more often than I do.  There's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion on this forum as I'm sure there's some sets that you also have strong opinions on and I respect that.  We all know some CITY sets do lack invesment potential like the frequently refreshed vehicles, police and fire sets.  There are some great CITY sets like the Town Square, Trains and Airports that I have invested heavily in and already made good money on.

I LOVE RESEARCH INSTITUTES !!!

I LOVE MARS ROVERS !!!

BUT... I HATE EWOKS !!!

I don't care if lots of people lose their shirts with this set, I just ain't gonna be one of them!

At RRP... 1x EV = 12x RI, let's see how it pans out a year from now.

Can someone please create a poll (including zero as an option) as I think a lot of you will be surprised.

Sorry to say that but the way you argue is fatuitous/narrow-minded.

You hate Ewoks, you don't invest. That's alright with me and I couldn't care less.

But seriously investing (especially with big money) is not about your personal liking or disliking of something.

If you only buy sets for small money and your emergency plan is to open them and use them yourself if you don't get as much as you wanted for them your personal taste might be important. But I guess nobody here opens 10 R2D2s even if he likes them. (okay bad example, I actually can imagine how people would open 10 R2D2 just to put them everywhere and build cool tables etc. ^.^ ).

For most sets I buy it's true that I like them and it's difficult for me to invest into sets that I don't really like, but still I do (because it's not about owning them myself but about selling them later on).

Do I like the UCS Helicarrier? Nope... Did I buy one? Nobody cares :-P (but yes I did...).

It's the same with the UCS Tumbler or SC and so on.

"At RRP... 1x EV = 12x RI, let's see how it pans out a year from now."

--> That's the second point why to me your argument isn't any good.

Selling 1xEV is 12 times less work than selling 12x RI.

Personally I do not see how this is so much of a win. You might be right about it being the winner financially speaking, but I wouldn't be too sure about it (especially if you count in your time selling it etc.). Also 12x RI is 12x the risks that come with selling.

I don't say that EV is one of the sets I'll go big with, but my aim is to get my minimum full of them.

So let's see what other sets there are that might be worth getting (which might be close to EOL):

- ToO

- UCS X-Wing

- PC

- ((probably not anywhere close) UCS Sandcrawler)

- Seacow

- PS

That's it for me when talking about the bigger ones (other people here might have other opinions).

EV

Contra:

1. it's expensive

2. not necessarily made for display purposes only but rather as a play set

3. Ewoks might not be the most popular thing in the SW universe

4. Collectors might not want it as much as they want other UCS because of points 2 and 3

Pro:

1. it's expensive! (you people know why this is a Pro don't you?)

2. not necessarily made for display purposes but rather as a play set --> personally I do not agree because it depends on how you display. If you want to display Star Wars scences (and that's a lot of fun!) then this set is pretty nice for it even though it's not a large model of some vehicle... And even though the opinions about this set when it comes to being displayed are divided I've seen not few reviews or posts where people discribe it as an eye-catcher (even compared to other UCS SW).

3. Ewoks might not be the most popular thing in the SW universe, but they are cute little furballs and even though I agree that it's a little bit silly how they've been used in the movies it's a matter of perspective. A lot of (female) friends of mine just LOVE the Ewoks because they are so adorably cute.

Also children are not as bothered about them as adults might be.

Will parents stop showing their children the original movies? Maybe, but probably not for a long time... Oh there are those cool Ewoks and the Ewok village! One of the main settings in the final movie of that triology... oh and look! there even is a LEGO set for it! doesn't sound like people might be looking for it in a couple of years? I guess one can argue...

4. Collectors might still want it just because it's an UCS or maybe they don't... I mean honestly it doesn't matter which UCS SW we're talking about, there always will be collectors who will want it and those who won't. Do I want to own a SSD? Nope... But I really wanted an AT-ST and if there ever is an AT-AT I'm in for that too! It's a personal thing and with 7 billion people on this planet there are enough potential customers for every UCS.

5. BECAUSE investors ambivalent feeling about this set there might not be as much competition later on...

In conclusion this set might not seem like an obvious winner but also it doesn't seem like a total loser. To me it's one of the more thrilling Sets that came out the last years.

Also: I don't get what exactly should be wrong with the box art... I mean I don't think people really care that much about it anyway.

(Yeah okay the new UCS Tie Fighter box art really is cool and makes you wanna buy it! But most box arts are more or less neutral I'd say).

The wonderful thing about LEGO these days it that there are so many cool sets that potentially are a good investment that it doesn't really matter if you buy EV or else. I only want to point out that EV has quite some qualities which stand in favor for it compared to other UCS.

If you are an investor it doesn't really matter... if you miss the boat on EV it probably won't hurt you as much as missing the boat on the MF or the Imperial Flagship etc. did. I don't think EV will come close behind some of these sets but if it does I'd be upset not to own at least one or two of them.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

@Locutus001... Thanks for your lengthy reply, Regarding selling 1x EV or 12x RI, I don't see a problem as I believe that 12x RI's could go all to one buyer (like some of my Mars Rovers did) or buyers will still order in quantity.  Also, I have a lot of free RI-sized boxes but, need to pay for a good double-walled EV-sized box.  RI is also cheap for me to post to any of the 7,000,000,000 on this rock where the EV isn't.  Again, it's just opinions.

I HATE EWOKS !!!

I appreciate a good stand up double. I also appreciate opinion, although those opinions can be shared with more tact at times.  

I'm not a huge fan of this set, but did I mention I like a good stand up double? As a Royals fan, I've come to accept good small ball--every at bat isn't a home run.

EV = Stand up double

RI = 7 stolen bases in one game

dyson.gif?w=479

• Like 3

All you guys that don't like the Ewok Village and don't want to invest in a few I bet 99% of you will be panic buying when its to late and say man why didn't I get at least of few of these, don't worry it will go up in price very fast. With Double VIP I will be getting 8-10 of them. So don't make a big mistake and not get at least a few of these, you will be sorry if you don't. Ed

• Like 4

Right there with you Ed. Just need to fork out the funds to get this big set. When it came out in the LEGO catalog even my wife went, "oooooo  look at that!!".

I love the set.

Any thoughts on production run?

Before Amazon clamped down on it's "# in stock" glitch a couple weeks ago, they had nearly 3K. It is in the mid 5000s as far as sales rank in Toys and Games, much higher than the slightly more expensive Sandcrawler. Not production run info, but hopefully helpful. There seem to be plenty for the taking as of right now.

Look, Since there will never be a $250 Ewok Exclusive set again, and with 3 new Movies this set will be wanted by many Collectors, Kids etc worldwide. Just check all the Star Wars Lego Exclusives all have done good to great, and when this set retires well only Lego Know's. But a pretty good guess is it should be out at least for the whole year. So pass on this great money maker, but I am sure many will. Ed

All you guys that don't like the Ewok Village and don't want to invest in a few I bet 99% of you will be panic buying when its to late and say man why didn't I get at least of few of these, don't worry it will go up in price very fast. With Double VIP I will be getting 8-10 of them. So don't make a big mistake and not get at least a few of these, you will be sorry if you don't. Ed

I always agree with Ed, On Black Friday, when I was one of the first in line to get a Tumbler (when few stores at that time had them), a lot of the other early birds at 6am were getting Evok Villages.  I was thinking What the?  I have four so far but its a great playset for the kids and very unique one. 

Look, Since there will never be a $250 Ewok Exclusive set again, and with 3 new Movies this set will be wanted by many Collectors, Kids etc worldwide. Just check all the Star Wars Lego Exclusives all have done good to great, and when this set retires well only Lego Know's. But a pretty good guess is it should be out at least for the whole year. So pass on this great money maker, but I am sure many will. Ed

I agree.   However, there was a dud called B-wing in the collectors series.  Unfortunately, I have boxes and boxes of them.

(imho) only issue i see is; with horde will it last till then? { not an edict just an opinion }