The Lone Ranger 2013

IrishGuy66

Sounds like a few reviews of the movie have been quite critical.  Haven't read any directly but a summary of them in my local rag said most critics were panning it for being overlong and a bit of a mess.  Hopefully it's another case of critics being wrong.

I don't even pay attention to the "experts" anymore, as they are really a very select minority. As long as the masses enjoy the movie the sets have a chance of becoming popular. The vast majority of the population watches movies to have a good time, while critics do so as their job and basically put everything under a magnifying glass.

I don't even pay attention to the "experts" anymore, as they are really a very select minority. As long as the masses enjoy the movie the sets have a chance of becoming popular. The vast majority of the population watches movies to have a good time, while critics do so as their job and basically put everything under a magnifying glass.

Yeah I rarely do either.  Though I'd be a little more comfortable if it received glowing praise :)

Just for snits and giggles, I went on BrickLink to see just how many of those two minifigures are already listed for sale. .....Well, that gave me a good laugh. Check this out.

Lone Ranger: 135 listings

Tonto: 72 listings]

Now there are 151 listings for the Lone Ranger and 80 for Tonto. Both of these minifigures cost anywhere from $1.80 to $3.00 each. That's pretty cheap for such great minifigures. Hopefully the release of the movie increases the demand for these minifigures and in turn the market desaturates.

Tonto figure is a failure--what an embarassment.  Lone ranger is perfect though--so I guess they balance.  No idea what they were thinking with that Tonto figure design.  Too bad they didn't make 2 figures--once classic--and one Disney garbage white face.  They did it with Superman?  Classic Superman--and new one--I think?

I think the movie will do well and have sequels, and that the legos will do well too. The first trailer I saw looked terrible, but they have grown on me...and with the POTC connection, disney behind it and Johnny Depp involved, I see great things for this franchise. we should know in a few days

Man of Steel took a pummelling by the critics, yet still is successful.

Lots of people will be buying The Lone Ranger due to the western theme.

The big S is a very recognizable brand worldwide. Case in point, subpar movies like Superman IV and Superman Returns still made enough money for the people involved.

On the other hand, The Lone Ranger is a defunct brand from the 50s that has not been dusted off until recently. They should have taken more liberty the other way.  The white face and the bird plus a less charismatic TLR (compared to Depp) do not bode well for the movie. 

It would probably stood a better chance had Johnny Depp actually played TLR as some variant of Jack Sparrow on land, with an Oxford educated Tonto as a straight man.  

ETA: And here I am trashing a movie before actually seeing it... Probably something was wrong with my coffee this morning.

Take this review for what it is: two typically snarky, cooler-than-thou writers that like to wear the "hipster scribe" mantle.  They unapologetically hammer the movie, comparing it to Wild Wild West.  I will be interested to see if the general public embraces this movie, but my money right now is on it being a flop.  That said, I will see it in the theaters. 

Click for Deadspin review here.

I hope I'm wrong because I love the Lego sets.

Take this review for what it is: two typically snarky, cooler-than-thou writers that like to wear the "hipster scribe" mantle.  They unapologetically hammer the movie, comparing it to Wild Wild West.  I will be interested to see if the general public embraces this movie, but my money right now is on it being a flop.  That said, I will see it in the theaters. 

Click for Deadspin review here.

I hope I'm wrong because I love the Lego sets.

Lol at the deadspin article title, "You should absolutely not see the Lone Ranger"

Western theme AND a train....how can it lose?

Besides I'm looking forward to the movie. Yes, the critics will bash it unmercifully. But the kids and I are going to see it and enjoy it for what it is, entertainment. Besides they love Legos and have seen the sets and are pumped at getting them to build and play with.

And the train alone is worth it that Lego brought out this theme.

The train is missing one thing in my opinion... A passenger car would be amazing for it!

I agree with this. Would have been excellent if this was the case. Still a great investment, but the passenger car would have been nicer. In any case, there is plenty of room for MoC`s and add-ons to the engine car, which is the most crucial aspect of the train after all. 

All the sets are nice. They will be even better at 35% off when/if this movie flops. I am tryin to talk my son into going tomorrow...not interested at all. He is 5. Cowboy and Indian age 30 years ago. Never heard of either. Except woodie the cowboy.

"The Lone Ranger" reviews coming in so far are pretty pitiful and underwhelming.  All along, I wondered how a "Lone Ranger" franchise would resonate with the youth nowadays.  Hollywood is running out of ideas and it's sad.

If the reviews are bad, I usually like the movie (I'm a rebel).  If the reviews are good, the movie usually stinks.  Hollywood critics blow.  I always do the opposite of the "Hollywood Mainstream". :frantics:

The big S is a very recognizable brand worldwide. Case in point, subpar movies like Superman IV and Superman Returns still made enough money for the people involved.

On the other hand, The Lone Ranger is a defunct brand from the 50s that has not been dusted off until recently. They should have taken more liberty the other way.  The white face and the bird plus a less charismatic TLR (compared to Depp) do not bode well for the movie. 

It would probably stood a better chance had Johnny Depp actually played TLR as some variant of Jack Sparrow on land, with an Oxford educated Tonto as a straight man.  

ETA: And here I am trashing a movie before actually seeing it... Probably something was wrong with my coffee this morning.

Oh I know that, it was an example. There really isn't a great deal of western style movies on the big screen, so this premise alone can interest the older generation. I am not saying it will be anywhere near as successful as Supes.

In Lego form though, it is western style theme that has been craved by many for a long time. That in itself will help, even if the movie itself is a turkey.

I personally have absolutely zero interest in the movie, but will get at least two of the Lego sets simply due to how awesome they look.

With all this perceived appetite for a lego western theme....why are the sets already heavily discounted at multiple retailers? If they sold at retail...they wouldn't be discounted this much...this early.

Called to reserve our spot at the monthly build club....guy on horn mentioned there were only 4/25 signed up so far...normally it would have been close to booked. We missed out on the last 2....both sold out the day they were posted. Plenty of room in the lotr club build though.

Pirates of the Caribbean (yes was a far better received movie) had sets that seemed underwhelming. The Black Pearl was fairly blasted for it's size if I remember correctly. Yet since it has gone EOL, it has exploded in value, potentially due to the ships and Pirate themes.

In time people will realise this is a unique theme with the same potential.

Guest eightbrick

Lone Ranger looks to be an interesting case. The movie isn't doing too well in the box office, but Western fans haven't seen a line since the late 90s. That said, an interesting historical licensed property doesn't necessarily mean instant profits -  just look at Prince of Persia, which was backed up by Lego's first middle eastern enviroment and exclusive animals (camel, ostritch). While some investors consider the theme's "predeccessor" in way, Pirates of the Caribbean (I probably wrote that wrong) a success because the two ships took off, I don't think that is going to influence the performance of the Lone Ranger at all. Unfortunately, despite being a western fan, I don't think it is going to be an instant hit. Western fans are a dying breed...

I'm not sure how many a movie's box office appeal helps. Heck, look at Cars and Toy Story.

Disney should've just hired the teams behind The Unforgiven and Pale Rider for The Lone Ranger. Clint Eastwood could've done The Lone Ranger justice.

By the way, for a fun semi-Western set, buy Woody's Roundup. It is a neat set and could fit in any western theme diorama without the minifigs,