The Lone Ranger 2013

IrishGuy66

I can't find the old movie-related thread. Admins, feel free to merge if you want,

After investing in decent # of 79111 Lone Ranger Constitution Train Chase sets, I finally decided to checkout the film using iTunes,

I knew about the over-budget problems before it's theatrical release from many press (aka critics) member reports. For those who remember, Titanic , Avatar, and Superman Returns also had mass media reports of budget problems months before their releases. Like the latter 3 films, TLR also had budget $ and / or filming delay info mentioned in nearly every movie review. Not sure how that info relates to the films themselves... However, the press wasn't able to sink those films like TLR. Titanic was too good of a movie. Avatar was good enough and had Cameron. Superman Returns was a fun movie at times and fans liked how it paid some homage to the Donner originals (When it comes to Superman 2, I only watch the Donner Cut).

Honestly, TLR wasn't that bad. Sure it was long and tried to be serious yet too comical concurrently (a no-no in my book). Hammer was probably a bad choice. However, it had an above script / plot with twists that made sense, decent acting, solid action, excellent stunts involving the train (we love in Lego format), and was a rare western movie . Too bad someone like Eastwood didn't produce and direct it. Anyway, the movie was fun to watch. A true popcorn chomping movie.

Thus, I think this movie was doomed well before it's release due to the press. If the production and budget problems weren't well-known, this film would have prob not tanked. We would instead be talking a possible sequel and some sort of Disney park attraction. Then TLR Lego sets then would have been more popular before and after retail life. Instead, the critics won by keeping people from actually watching the movie (hence, the low week 1 #s).

Currently, investors are banking on every type of secondary market buyer except actual Lone Ranger fans (Western, Train, Cowboy, and basic AFOLs). Other than my existing trains plus the Colby City and Silver Mine for my son, I'm done with buying this theme. I have no positive gut feeling on the theme anyway due to how the critics killed this film (this film is no Ishtar). If the press kept people from watching the movie, how can we depend on secondary market demand? I think only false perceptions of the film will be associated with this theme.

Maybe the film will slowly gain a cult following so some buyers might actually look for a TLR Lego in the future for the masked man himself.

I ABSOLUTELY agree!!! This wasnt supposed to be an Oscar contender. It was a popcorn action movie (what else is Depp making nowadays) and it was a pretty good one relative to the action junk that comes out during the summer. I agree that the press sunk this film and once opinions were made people just went with it. Herd mentality. I admit, if I wasnt on a 12 flight to Manila with only 5 movies to watch I probably never wouldve seen this. 

I think this is one of those films that will gain a following on bluray and dvd and I think eventually......EVENTUALLY somewhere down the line people will start looking for the train. At 99 a pop, it was too much of a risk, but for all the people who took advantage of the sales and got it at 65 or under I think it could be a winner....with time. Plus lets not forget it also had a short run...

I thought for the most part it was good. Hammer was miscast but I thought the rest did ok. It was bloated, some of the gags didn't work and thehorse stuff went OTT but it had it's moments. I certainly thought it was more watchable than Man of Steel.

Yeah, Hammer looked like a deer in headlights most of the time. He had the physical size and that's about it.

I also liked it much better than Man of Steel and I'm a huge superhero fan for the most part (Catwoman = can't believe it was made).

Movie critics watch this movies from the point of view of a very small minority, and that usually means they are sort of out of touch with the average person. It's the same thing that happens with food critics, as they are part of the very small group of people that can honestly tell the difference between a steak that was perfectly cooked and one that was overcooked by 2 seconds.

That's why I always prefer reviews from the "average" audience.

Movie critics watch this movies from the point of view of a very small minority, and that usually means they are sort of out of touch with the average person. It's the same thing that happens with food critics, as they are part of the very small group of people that can honestly tell the difference between a steak that was perfectly cooked and one that was overcooked by 2 seconds.

That's why I always prefer reviews from the "average" audience.

Agreed. Look at the current diff between critic and non-critic ratings.

It will be interesting to see if the gap increases overtime.

post-3743-0-17041900-1387804749_thumb.jp

Completely agree. I'm no critic, but I'll even go farther than jaisonline and say that Hanmer wasn't even that bad. I can't believe critics completely missed the fact that, for the most part, the movie was written in a "not take itself so seriously" manner - almost self deprecating at times, It was written to be cartoony, and needed the unserious tone, and Depp I thought did an admirable job keeping it that way. Was his role a little too much like Jack Sparrow? Sure, but that didn't sink an otherwise enjoyable movie.

Just a FYI...

While it know my stance on why the movie flopped is obvious, I just want to make sure my Lego-related premise stance is known.

If the critics treated this movie fairly, I firmly believe the Lego theme would have been an investment hit since unlike previous Disney Lego themes, this one is for an older crowd (say 8-10 yrs and older). While the sets are fun with gimmicks, it does have a more serious / mature western tone (minifig facial expressions, military aspect, weapons included, Ladin minifigs, horses, train, stagecoach, mines, teepee, exploding things, etc...). Oh, what could have been.

Yeah, Hammer looked like a deer in headlights most of the time. He had the physical size and that's about it.

I also liked it much better than Man of Steel and I'm a huge superhero fan for the most part (Catwoman = can't believe it was made).

MoS was a huge let down. The first trailer got my hopes up that we would see some character development but it was just filled with meaningless fight scenes with zero impact. The parts I enjoyed the most were with a young Clark, as well as Jor-El in the flesh (but not when he decided to jump into the Avatar sequel :P)

I didn't expect a Nolan-esque universe but left very disappointed.

The Lone Ranger could have been cut back by half an hour or so and the story would have run much better. It spent too much time trying to be Pirates of the Carribean on horses but it didn't need to be anywhere near that expensive really.

I still think the Lego sets will be gravy. Short production run, rare Western theme and interesting pieces and minifigs.

I haven't seen this movie yet, however it reminds me a bit of John Carter, which absolutely bombed at the box office and was trashed by critics. But quite frankly, and I consider myself a bit of a movie snob, I thought John Carter was equally if not more entertaining than Avatar (which I think is an overrated pile of crap) and that movie everyone loved. And the movies are basically the same story.

Marketing, marketing, marketing. And sex appeal. 

OP makes me feel really good about the train purchases. If critics sinked the movie at the boxoffice it just means people werent willing to pay (20? 40? no idea what a new movie experience costs now days) to see it in theaters. But will they pay the dollar or two at redbox and netflix? Hells yes. If the movie is decent with the short life of the trains and their appeal to western / train collectors, this set could be a mega star in the making.

I wasnt too sure I wanted the trains early on due to TLR but after building one I felt it was an instant win. Incredible build and looks amazing. Seems to have playability built in too.

Something I find funny is how they promoted the film. When it was released, the trailers played on the slapstick nature and comedic bits. I have seen a completely different cut for the DVD release - trying to make it look like a serious, potentially violent, western. I thought that was funny.

I will say, the train seems to be pretty much cleared out of stores around me. The rest of the sets seem easy to find. Probably will end up wishing I had more than a couple of the trains.

I actually loved this movie as well. Perhaps if you step away from thinking about the sets as "lone ranger" investments, and instead think of them as "western" investments you may be able to justify it more. I have no problem buying these sets at discounts. They will do great in the future!

Same here, I haven't actually seen the movie but people are going to want stagecoaches, canoes, teepees, native americans, train tracks, western train pieces, cowboy hats, etc for mocs. Plenty to love at 40% off or more. I've got a few Walmarts that seem to still have plenty of LR. Targets are cleaned out of everything.

Same here, I haven't actually seen the movie but people are going to want stagecoaches, canoes, teepees, native americans, train tracks, western train pieces, cowboy hats, etc for mocs. Plenty to love at 40% off or more. I've got a few Walmarts that seem to still have plenty of LR. Targets are cleaned out of everything.

When you have 3 hours, checkout the movie and let us know your opinion.

I sure hope you are right. However, I still think every set will hover around MSRP except the train due the association with the film's undeserved poor rep.

Even at MSRP, there is money to be made like with Toy Story and Cars.

If you take away the Lone Ranger theme and you most of the sets from an AFOLs perspective I think the train is an obvious choice but I see great value in the stagecoach and Calvary building sets as well.

In other words I can look past the Lone Ranger Theme and see the Western aspect as a fun build... maybe I'm the minority but I'm sure there are hundreds other that can do the same.

I think the stage coach, the train, the cavalry and the commanche camp are going to be winners overall at the end of the day. They have more versatility than just being a Lone Ranger theme.

Take the lone ranger out of the cavalry set and you have an articulating horse, a firing cannon, a barricade, a spit, and 3 kick ass civil war era infantry.

The Commanche Camp comes with a canoe, a teepee and an indian chief, along with the scorpians.

The stage coach comes with 3 horses, a freaking kick ass stage coach, and 3 western style minifigures that AREN'T the lone ranger or tonto.

And the train is just an awesome train. It's been said, not many trains come with track, let alone straight pieces. It's got that gatling gun car, and a bunch of minifigs that arent the Lone Ranger  and Tonto.

I think that the repeatability of Tonto and Lone Ranger minifigs is a bit disappointing, but you could swap out their heads I guess and then you have typical western style Joes.

Any of this stuff could be combined to create a western style theme. It doesn't HAVE to be the Lone Ranger.

I think the stage coach, the train, the cavalry and the commanche camp are going to be winners overall at the end of the day.

The stagecoach is one of my favorite Lego sets. I can't get enough of them for the reasons you listed. The retail price here for the set is massively inflated ($70) but was picking them up from amazon for significantly less.

The commanche camp was disappointing in that LR and Tonto were two of the three minifigures. Had it included at least another commanche or two in replace of even one of those it would be a huge seller.

The train is a no brainer. This one is going to rise quick I think. It is popular already and hard to find.

The silver mine seemed like the odd one out though. I just can't see it getting a huge response and am worried I am missing something?

The theme has so many interesting pieces and designs that I can't wait for it to be completely gone from shelves.