The Lone Ranger 2013

IrishGuy66

Train and Stagecoach are where it`s always been at for this theme. Those will be the more significant money makers, in all likelihood. Cavalry builder looks like it will do better than I though 6 months ago, which is surprising, so anyone who stocked up on those should make out quite well.

I quite like the sets! Not too much a fan of the same minifigs over and over though. I'm sad I was not able to get a train. Still hitting myself for not picking up the one I saw for $80 while in the states!

$80 would have been great! Keep in mind, Bestbuy.ca and such has had it as low as $97.99. I bought all mine at that price, and PM`ed to ToysRUs. The train will no doubt hit $200 eventually, trains appear to at least double MSRP in the future, so I believe that to be a safe bet. It should drop back down again, so if you want one, I`d pick it up at that price for sure :thumbsup:

This line is all about the train. The other sets are simply a supporting cast. The main exceptions to that are the Calvary Battle Pack and the Stagecoach in my opinion. The silver mine, Colby City, and the Teepee are just there to look good paired with the train.

When you phrase it that way, now I see the whole theme as a resource for anyone wanting to build themselves a large scale western themed train set with a town and everything. Come to think of it, that would be pretty cool.

When you phrase it that way, now I see the whole theme as a resource for anyone wanting to build themselves a large scale western themed train set with a town and everything. Come to think of it, that would be pretty cool.

I'm holding onto a couple trains, a stagecoach, maybe one or two silver mines, and a colby showdown for that exact reason.  Fort Legoredo will be the centerpiece.

Oh, and I have about 8 comanche tipis for the Native American camp.

That will be a fun project whenever I get around to it.

I'm holding onto a couple trains, a stagecoach, maybe one or two silver mines, and a colby showdown for that exact reason.  Fort Legoredo will be the centerpiece.

Oh, and I have about 8 comanche tipis for the Native American camp.

That will be a fun project whenever I get around to it.

Now that is definitely something to look forward to. Well here's hoping we all get to our dream projects! :drinks:

I was just wondering... how is the Lone Ranger Theme progressing in the US? Are the prices climbing in the secondary market or are they steady? I am thinking of buying some more constitution trains. But it has to be worth it offcourse.

Too soon to tell. Most sets can still be had at clearance price. You likely safe buying trains at a discount but don't expect huge returns overnight.

• 4 months later...

The Lone Ranger sets seem to have exited the stores slowly and silently. But the values are still at the same point as months ago. Except for the train. I invested quite alot in them and am wondering if I should dump the smaller sets but keep 2 copies of each just in case. Any thoughts here?

Same question here. Even at good reductions they stayed on the shelves for a long time. Even now you find them regurarly in the shops. Luckily For me i am following this forum so I did not invest in this heavily although I thought it would do well. The train is a somewhat of a succes while the rest is something to hold on to for a very long time? The silvermine and the colby showdown are the sets with the least potential... based on intuition ;)

Right now the bp page for the lone ranger train show a 50% over retail price in UK. I don't know how to understand that number. Is it doing that good in UK, or caused by some outliers?

An old question but I'll answer it anyway:

The figures in that table are a little misleading. The "% growth over retail" for the UK compares the current UK value to the USA (!) retail price. Since that was lower to begin with, a set that is still worth approximately UK retail price would still show "growth" compared to the US price.

For this set (79111) the numbers seem to be a little off though. Current value of

I am torn on this theme, I haven't gotten anything at less than 50% off, and a couple of the sets are really languishing on shelves (Colby City, Silver Mine specifically) - But the thing that strikes me is I think the sets are really GOOD. They are well designed, they look fun for kids, they are of course a rarity being a western theme... The flood of the sets still being out there hurts, but I think this will be surprisingly good performers in the long haul. I also am doubtful another Western theme will be coming out any time soon. This Christmas season will be very telling. 

I almost wonder the sets would be more popular if they weren't tied into TLR specifically, and were just a more generic western theme.

• Like 2

Stagecoach is gaining nicely - it has sold for $45 (shipped) on eBay recently, and will continue to rise, albeit slowly.

The Cavalry builder battle pack has also gone up nicely, selling for nearly double MSRP now (from $12.99 MSRP).

This still shows up on Amazon for $7.99 from time-to-time.

I have a handful of Constitution Trains and Stagecoaches with a few Commanche Camps and Colby City sets sprinkled in.  Oh, and then there are the Cavalry builder pancakes from TRU that I am hoping will turn into hotcakes.  Most of these were near the 50% off mark so I'm going to probably hold them into 2015 and see what happens.