The Lone Ranger 2013

IrishGuy66

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe you should just wait some more?

I got only one that I recently bought (maybe it was a mistake... maybe not... it was on discount and I like the set as it perfectly fits into the western theme).

There's no western theme scheduled for next year as far as I know and maybe not even for the year after...

But the way I see it those sets can bring at least some money if you keep cool and wait a little.

Seriously it's the same way with the big sets that are best sellers. You wait... the price gets up.

I'm not saying that lone ranger prices will go up equaly but I suppose that they will go up somewhat (to a point where you won't lose money at least...).

Maybe bundling them and selling them as western-sets will also work.

The sets are still available in some stores and the theme itself has not retired that long so even though this (probably...) won't be a winner I wouldn't panic about it just right now. The minifigures are pretty cool, the sets also are pretty cool and if you love western LEGO eventually you will need to buy them from a reseller.

Have the same issue. I really wonder how on earth I'm going to get rid of those 3 albeit cheap LR Mines I bought. Might try your proposal :)

Change your keywords in the title of your sell, because many people (grand-parents for example) are not aware of that theme and just search for "lego indians".

For such a set I would write:

Cowboys and Indian - Western - Lego 79110 silver mine - Lone Ranger silvermine - New

Because:

(cowboys and one indian is the truth) - (a great keyword for that theme) - (the exact reference for persons who search for this set) - (name of the movie + "silvermine" in one word for people writing it incorrectly...) - (a quick appealing word so people immediately know that it's not used)

I would not put "Geronimo" or something like that because it's not true and it would only bring you some problems with scammers...

Edited by biniou

Change your keywords in the title of your sell, because many people (grand-parents for example) are not aware of that theme and just search for "lego indians".

For such a set I would write:

Cowboys and Indian - Western - Lego 79110 silver mine - Lone Ranger silvermine - New

Because:

(cowboys and one indian is the truth) - (a great keyword for that theme) - (the exact reference for persons who search for this set) - (name of the movie + "silvermine" in one word for people writing it incorrectly...) - (a quick appealing word so people immediately know that it's not used)

I would not put "Geronimo" or something like that because it's not true and it would only bring you some problems with scammers...

All great sugestions but don't have it up for sale yet. Still needs to acclimatize on my attic for a bit longer but your sugestions of cowboys and indians is indeed a very good 'marketing' trick for these sets. I just wonder if the youth of today still cares for cowboys and indians. Even for my youth, we didn't play cowboy and indian but gi joe and cobra :)

Wouldn't do that, too. Just found it funny that the set fits the Sheppard song.

You can actually play the song. :D Singing "Geronimo" when jumping into the skid, "Bombs away" when tossing the rock -

And of course you've get the "curtains of the waterfall"...

I just wonder if the youth of today still cares for cowboys and indians. Even for my youth, we didn't play cowboy and indian but gi joe and cobra :)

Yesterday night I had some friends who came to my house for dinner (my head still hurts). I lent a box to their 4 years old kid. There were vintage toys inside: TMNT, Cops & Crooks, Rocklords, MOTU, and some Bravestarr figures (space cowboys).

He played a lot with the TMNT and the rocklords and absolutely didn't care about the other figures, except their guns.

Edited by biniou

Yesterday night I had some friends who came to my house for dinner (my head still hurts). I lent a box to their 4 years old kid. There were vintage toys inside: TMNT, Cops & Crooks, Rocklords, MOTU, and some Bravestarr figures (space cowboys).

He played a lot with the TMNT and the rocklords and absolutely didn't care about the other figures, except their guns.

TMNT. That's strange... but hopeful :)

TMNT. That's strange... but hopeful :)

Why is it strange ? Ninja turtles :ninja: are everywhere this year:

- Movie Theater + Lego TMNT (movie)

- Animated TV serie + Lego TMNT (animated)

Of course that also mean toys, Mc Donald's and Kellogg's stuff, adds on TV, video games, etc.

I didn't asked but I think he was a fan of the animated show (that does make sense to me, considering his age).

Edited by biniou

Why is it strange ? Ninja turtles :ninja: are everywhere this year:

- Movie Theater + Lego TMNT (movie)

- Animated TV serie + Lego TMNT (animated)

Of course that also mean toys, Mc Donald's and Kellogg's stuff, adds on TV, video games, etc.

I didn't asked but I think he was a fan of the animated show (that does make sense to me, considering his age).

So biniou, would you invest in the sets 0-5 of TMNT ;)

• 2 months later...

A few months on and pre-Christmas data obviously.

Silver Mine Shootout predictably is struggling and the Cavalry Builder had a slight dropoff. Train is starting to turn around and others are doing ok. 

Theme CAGR 17.09 %

79106 Cavalry Builder +64.67%
79107 Commanche Camp +19.76% 

79108 Stagecoach Escape +32.61%
79109 Colby City Showdown - 10.56%
79110 Silver Mine Shootout -29.02%

79111 Constitution Train Chase  +1.91%

• Like 2

Let's go train! Actually, it prob would have started taking off already if meant to be. Ugh. Nice train though.

A few months on and pre-Christmas data obviously.

Silver Mine Shootout predictably is struggling and the Cavalry Builder had a slight dropoff. Train is starting to turn around and others are doing ok.

Theme CAGR 17.09 %

79106 Cavalry Builder +64.67%

79107 Commanche Camp +19.76%

79108 Stagecoach Escape +32.61%

79109 Colby City Showdown - 10.56%

79110 Silver Mine Shootout -29.02%

79111 Constitution Train Chase +1.91%

I have more faith in these than most of you. Most of them were still avail post Christmas last year. Hell, Silvermine and Colby City are STILL on shelves. Western themes are rare, I doubt we'll see another one in the near future. Many of us got the trains around $50, and they are hitting $125-130 or so now. There's just no way these will end up less than $150 by next Christmas.

It's going to take some time, but these sets definitely have a built in audience. And personally, if I sell $50 trains at $150 apx 2 years after purchase, I am a-ok with that.

• Like 3

I have more faith in these than most of you. Most of them were still avail post Christmas last year. Hell, Silvermine and Colby City are STILL on shelves. Western themes are rare, I doubt we'll see another one in the near future. Many of us got the trains around $50, and they are hitting $125-130 or so now. There's just no way these will end up less than $150 by next Christmas.

It's going to take some time, but these sets definitely have a built in audience. And personally, if I sell $50 trains at $150 apx 2 years after purchase, I am a-ok with that.

Since 2012, I have been watching all themes after retirement. The sets that didn't have some form of "pop" or increase in value before / after the retirement are the ones that appreciate very little during EOL unless there is something to help with demand.

The Cars 1 movie sets have done "ok" because of Pixar and Disney Land. Toy Story sets (mainly the ones featuring key chars from the original 2 movies) are doing good because Disney have kept that franchise alive (annual TV shows and the upcoming 4th film). Monster Fighters always have Halloween.

Lone Ranger has nothing. Western themes also haven't been popular in a long time and Lego will ultimately release another theme just like Pirates in 2015. The Army builder and Stagecoach sets (luckily) were the only ones to sellout sorta fast despite the clearance sales and slightly popped after retirement. None of the other sets did that. At this point, we would have prob done better if a Lone Ranger minifig wasn't included in that set. Ha but sorta true. Even a short lifespan isn't helping this theme and TRU still selling some of these sets near MSRP is brutal. By the time they are sold-out, I think there won't Much demand for Lone Ranger sets in general.

I want the train set to do well as 10 are taking up space in my house ( and all LR sets are cool in my opinion) . I'm just preparing myself for the possiblity the Train set will need to be sold around MSRP w/in another year since my $700 spent csn be used on nearly 3 Tumblers, 2 Tower Bridges, or 10 Santa Wokshops, etc... that will most definitely pop when they are sold-out everywhere before retirement.

• Like 2

These can still be found in a couple places in Canada as well - most online, but my local TRU is still trying to sell Silver Mines at 40% off and can't move them. I wrote an article about these a long time ago and my gut feeling was there wasn't much worth investing in here. Yes, some gains at this point, but I don't have a single LR set and am happy I put my investing dollars elsewhere (not that I made 100% great picks with the money I didn't invest in LR - wish I would have grabbed more Rovers or Chopper Showdowns, for example).

I love the Western theme and want it to do well, just like I love the Castle/Kingdoms line, but for someone with limited investment capital it isn't worth it for me to tie up cash in these. (Although I did get a KJ at 50 percent off...special exception for that kind of discount)

• Like 1

Theme would have done much better if not linked to the movie.  Seriously, you were stuck getting LR/Tonto in about every set and then a couple random bad guys nobody cared about. 

I got rid of everything I had at Christmas except trains for small profits and moved on.  I never found 50% off trains, but got all mine from $65-70, so it will take $150-200 for it to be worthwhile to sell.  For me at least. 

• Like 1