The Lone Ranger 2013

IrishGuy66

I liked the movie, and I like the theme (Lego).  But... it is sad to say that most of America, and the western hemisphere for the most part simply cannot identify with western themed movies any longer.  The last time a western did any good at the Box Office the White House still had a WWII pilot as occupant and Unforgiven was released to an audience that was still only one generation removed from an agrarian background.  Those days are over, people don't want cowboys and Indians, they want Iron Man and Magneto. 

With that said I did buy a couple each of the Trains, the Stage Coachs and the Cavalry builders, on 50% discount, but I don't think this theme will do well at all.    

I watched 1/2 of it.  It was not horrible.  My problem was Depp.  While I think he is an outstanding actor, and he is on some of my favorite movies (9th Gate, Fear and Loathing..., and Edward Scissor hands, Secret Window, and Platoon), I kept thinking of Captain Jack Sparrow during the hour I was watching him, and it was a big disconnect for me.  I mean, they even had a black bird tied to his head!  Why would they do that?  Even if the plot was great, when you have Depp with a big black bird on his head during 80% of the movie, it takes your attention off the plot and the other actors.  If they would have done him completely different from his Capt Jack character, the film would have been different.  But is seemed like they were trying to cash in on a sure thing with Depp, and it did not work at all.  

I watched 1/2 of it.  It was not horrible.  My problem was Depp.  While I think he is an outstanding actor, and he is on some of my favorite movies (9th Gate, Fear and Loathing..., and Edward Scissor hands, Secret Window, and Platoon), I kept thinking of Captain Jack Sparrow during the hour I was watching him, and it was a big disconnect for me.  I mean, they even had a black bird tied to his head!  Why would they do that?  Even if the plot was great, when you have Depp with a big black bird on his head during 80% of the movie, it takes your attention off the plot and the other actors.  If they would have done him completely different from his Capt Jack character, the film would have been different.  But is seemed like they were trying to cash in on a sure thing with Depp, and it did not work at all.

Yeah, the dead crow was a tad over the top.

I liked the movie, and I like the theme (Lego).  But... it is sad to say that most of America, and the western hemisphere for the most part simply cannot identify with western themed movies any longer.  The last time a western did any good at the Box Office the White House still had a WWII pilot as occupant and Unforgiven was released to an audience that was still only one generation removed from an agrarian background.  Those days are over, people don't want cowboys and Indians, they want Iron Man and Magneto. 

With that said I did buy a couple each of the Trains, the Stage Coachs and the Cavalry builders, on 50% discount, but I don't think this theme will do well at all.

I think this will sell fine. I already sold a stage coach for $52 on Amazon and was selling cavalry sets for $30 each until I sold out. Now im hoarding them.

I can get behind most of what you said except the Clint Eastwood part. His directing/acting days are well behind him I think.

For the most part this is true, however Grand Torino was pretty incredible if you haven't seen it. The movie is really good and a really different side of Clint Eastwood. Hes awesome in it and the story is really awesome as well.

• Like 1

I really liked this movie and so did the whole family. I'm pretty tough with movies. But this had something unique about it that I liked. In my opinion the critics murdered this film. I have purchased all the Lone Ranger sets. All of them awesome sets especially the Train. The Silver mine I'm not too sure about in the secondary market, however it does have a mining cart and the slide which are both awesome. Both the camp and the Colby City and the stagecoach are essential for an AFOL western fan. All the Lone Ranger sets look excellent and bring something new to the table. It'll be interesting to see how they do.

For my own opinion, while the movie is not that bad, it is not excellent either.

There are not really a scene that I can recall or discuss to my friends three months later.

If I compare this to LOTR or Star Wars, I know the difference.

I have watched several times of SW and LOTR movies and will always kept watching them once a while, but not Lone Rangers.

I do think the train and stagecoach will do decent for investment purpose, though.

This is why I never listen to critics ever, period. These are people with varying opinions same as anyone else, however, they seem to be more dissective with theirs like a nitpicking surgeon with a stuffy attitude. The only 'critic' I've listened to was Leonard Maltin; at least he highlighted the good with the bad and gave different reasons why you may or may not enjoy something.

Anyway, I bought the DVD the other day but have not watched it yet. I am getting to it though soon as some other things are done.

Hi, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere before - sometimes the search brings up too many results

Is Lone Ranger considered a good investment or will it be a flop like Prince of Persia theme and others?

I've seen it's retiring, but can still get most sets in UK if I act fast.

So I watched this with my children Christmas afternoon.  First off, it was an ok movie, not great but certainly not as bad as critics make it out to be.  My question to anyone that has seen it is where was the stagecoach escape scene in the movie?  Helena Bohnam Carter had like literally 3 scenes in the whole movie and I don't recall even seeing a similar stagecoach in the movie.  Also, the commanche camp set isn't accurate either because not a river next to the camp.  I know the movie was delayed a few times so maybe they were deleted or reworked scenes.

So I watched this with my children Christmas afternoon.  First off, it was an ok movie, not great but certainly not as bad as critics make it out to be.  My question to anyone that has seen it is where was the stagecoach escape scene in the movie?  Helena Bohnam Carter had like literally 3 scenes in the whole movie and I don't recall even seeing a similar stagecoach in the movie.  Also, the commanche camp set isn't accurate either because not a river next to the camp.  I know the movie was delayed a few times so maybe they were deleted or reworked scenes.

Honestly, I`d say your comment just goes to support the notion of how much of a mess the movie was overall. It was inconsistent and smooched together. They tried to cram in way too much stuff. My guess would be similar to what you said in terms of the stagecoach not being the film and the camp being incoherent, but there is also the possibility that Lego decided to implement the sets regardless of their connection the movie. Maybe they thought a boat would offer more playability (although, there actually was a river next to a camp/village int he film. If I remember correctly it had to do with 2 of the character looking for silver near by). Perhaps they thought a stagecoach was fitting for a western as well. Or who knows, maybe there were plans to connect those details, but they were scrapped. One can only guess. 

I finally had a chance to watch the DVD a day ago. Well, put this on the list of "Why I never listen to critics ever". This was a really good popcorn movie. Okay, so it did run for a little over two hours which seems to be the main overall complaint I have read from comments left on RottenTomatoes among other sites and rather over the top but it was a fun western more enjoyable than the original TV series. Funny to note, the movie started the same way as the TV series with the bank robbery bit. It was unusual with the crow atop of Johnny Depp's nogin but isn't far from reality at all. Speaking of which, here is the "I Am Crow" painting Tonto's design was taken from.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (or at least thought about it).

F**k critics and the horse they rode in on. :bug:

• Like 1

I watched the movie yesterday... and thought of it as average... ''meh'' nothing special....

I liked Western movies as a kid but they featured John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Alamo, Vinetou, Robert Redford and others..... this one feels too much of a flick and too little of true western....

not to mention it just did not END !!!!

6/10 tops for me

• 2 months later...

How's everyone opinion's on this whole theme now?

Will demand go up, since it is finally extinct from stores (except TRU)?

I couldn't really pass up on 50% off the Stagecoach Escape from my local Kmart.

The Silver Mind Shootout and Train will probably gain the most traction, right?

How's everyone opinion's on this whole theme now?

Will demand go up, since it is finally extinct from stores (except TRU)?

I couldn't really pass up on 50% off the Stagecoach Escape from my local Kmart.

The Silver Mind Shootout and Train will probably gain the most traction, right?

My belief is that there will always be some interest in Western theme Lego.  The train will do well, and most picked it up well below retail.  If you find stuff 50% off, especially the Stagecoach, that should do just fine at that entry point.  I have a bunch of the Cavalry builders, trains, and then a couple of the rest because while I like them, I wanted to hedge my bets a bit.