The Lone Ranger 2013

IrishGuy66

I'm not talking about us investors buying these sets. The value of sets in the secondary market is not driven by investors, its driven by kids and collectors coming out of their dark ages. Bottom line is if kids don't like the movie, they will have no interest in the LEGO sets.

I agree, and I was just talking about the set from any point of view. I keep watching teasers and trailers for the movie and have a good feeling about it.

In other words, it won't be another pile of 'Persian poop'. :lol: (Hopefully....)

It all depends how the movie does and then if kids drag their parents to stores wanting to LR stuff. I was a huge Lone Ranger fan when I was 5-6 in the early 1980s so I'm pulling for the movie. Maybe my profile pic should be a childhood pic of me wearing the Lone Ranger outfit. Ha

I'm on the fence. Nevertheless, the train should be a nice investment.

Well, maybe the theme will be iffy as a whole, but the stagecoach with the red-head is quite appealing. Maybe not to the guys, but as a female it is great to see that red-head in her outfit and hat from that time in history. Maybe it's a girly thing.

Red Harrington is one of the main reasons I am attracted to the set besides the great design on the Stagecoach itself, and I'm a guy. What? I like strong women that can kick ass! B)

Did you get the store building giveaway?  We had a birthday party and I couldn't be there for the Grand Opening.  The store was a little smaller than I expected.

Regarding Lone Ranger, ditch everything but the train.  The train is special.

Yes got the Lego Store set and the Minifigure set on Sunday also. The line on Saturday was brutal. Must be a great business to have people waiting in line for hours and hours to spend their money on your products.

This is one of those lines where I might grab some just to have because I like them. Along with the other guy who said they liked Pharaoh and Atlantis' lines, I'm right there. They were horrible investment-wise, but I really loved both themes.

Even if this tanks, I'll be an owner at the least.

• Like 1

Red Harrington is one of the main reasons I am attracted to the set besides the great design on the Stagecoach itself, and I'm a guy. What? I like strong women that can kick ass! B)

I'm with you Orc.....She's kinda hot! Fiery redhead with some skills! :maninlove: I think this set will be a definite winner also, regardless. Other than the train and the stagecoach though, I think I will hold off on the other sets and wait and see what happens.

Time's going to tell on these sets.  I've dug a little deeper, and I'm actually more excited for their investment potential now then I was initially.  Disney has pumped 250 million dollars into the film, and with Verbinski directing and Bruckheimer producing (and Zimmer providing the musical score) this film has a lot going for it.  If it gets decent reviews and people flock to the theaters to see it ala PotC we could have a monster hit on our hands. Combine that with the fact that the Lego sets are actually quite sharp and stand up perfectly on their own as generic western sets without any movie tie in whatsoever, something we haven't seen in many years, and the stars may be aligning for bigtime moola for us investors.  The train in particular could end up being a multi-bagger. 

As always, I urge caution since audiences and children are fickle, to say nothing of the collector market.  We also have many months of sales and discounts to look forward to before these sets go EOL, so don't go rushing off in a panic and start hoarding tonight.  Hopefully we'll get some data over the next few months to digest which will give us some solid insight into how these sets are faring at retail, which will offer a glimpse into the future of how they will perform in retirement.  I will, however, be taking advantage of any opportunities that arise to get those trains under $80 :)

• Like 1

I'm with you Orc.....She's kinda hot! Fiery redhead with some skills! :maninlove: I think this set will be a definite winner also, regardless. Other than the train and the stagecoach though, I think I will hold off on the other sets and wait and see what happens.

I remember a phrase a friend of mine said in high school about redheads but it isn't 'PG rated' if ya know what I mean. :spiteful: Plus this is Helena Bonham Carter we're talking here. There is nothing frail about her! She is one kickass woman and Tim Burton is a lucky guy having her as a wife. Come to think of it, this will be the second minifigure based on a character she played in a film. (The first was Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter.)

Anyway, I think Colby City Showdown offers a lot for the price and Silver Mine Shootout is pretty cool (besides having an odd shaped box). I would wait for discounts on the train; there is bound to be a few down the road I think.

I`m willing to bet a sizeable amount of cash on 2 of the sets (Train and Stagecoach), but plan to stay away from the rest for the most part.  Both of those have multiple places in the market, whether it be themed, or just western in general, and I think they have the greatest potential of the lot for this reason. That and the fact that I just don`t like some of the others.  But the train and stagecoach, most definitely!  :sungum:

I`m willing to bet a sizeable amount of cash on 2 of the sets (Train and Stagecoach), but plan to stay away from the rest for the most part.  Both of those have multiple places in the market, whether it be themed, or just western in general, and I think they have the greatest potential of the lot for this reason. That and the fact that I just don`t like some of the others.  But the train and stagecoach, most definitely!  :sungum:

I agree those two are probably the safest bets for the theme while the others are good to so-so. I wonder how the Commanche Camp will do?

I agree those two are probably the safest bets for the theme while the others are good to so-so. I wonder how the Commanche Camp will do?

i just purchased the Commanche Camp yesterday for my son and helped him build it.

It is also the cheapest way to get Tonto and the LR.  The Teepee is really cool due to the plastic material used and my son enjoys the boat and the 'jumping' scorpions in the small cave.  However, I dount it will be an investment winner...  Not much going on but  throwing the Bank , Mine , and this set along with the train and you'll have a cool little setup.

the Toy Story line had COOL features kids enjoyed and we see how that is going...

the Toy Story line had COOL features kids enjoyed and we see how that is going...

Yeah, real bombshell.

Now that I think of it, Commanche Camp could have been better if instead of sticking the obligatory Lone Ranger and Tonto in there, they could have included a couple of native american characters. At least for me, that would have made the set more of a winner.

Yeah, real bombshell.

Now that I think of it, Commanche Camp could have been better if instead of sticking the obligatory Lone Ranger and Tonto in there, they could have included a couple of native american characters. At least for me, that would have made the set more of a winner.

I agree. Lego really should've added more variety in the sets instead of including Tonto or the Lone Ranger in every set. I wouldn't be surprised if we see lots of people selling those minifigures online because they have multiples of them.

I agree. Lego really should've added more variety in the sets instead of including Tonto or the Lone Ranger in every set. I wouldn't be surprised if we see lots of people selling those minifigures online because they have multiples of them.

What's really sad is that they felt inclined to stick yet another Lone Ranger and horse into the cavalry battle pack....Imagine if they stuck Luke or Han in every Star Wars battlepack...

What's really sad is that they felt inclined to stick yet another Lone Ranger and horse into the cavalry battle pack....Imagine if they stuck Luke or Han in every Star Wars battlepack...

This is one of those lines where they want to make sure everyone has access to the main stars of the film in minifig form, much like LOTR.

As with LOTR, I don't think it will affect how well the sets sell. The battle pack is good. The train is good. The Coach is good. I even like the mine. Honestly we've been hurting for some old LEGO Western action, and I love the 2013 take on it with all the advances in piece selection and minifig variety, exclusive parts, etc.

The figures will also mesh well with all the native americans from the CMFs given a few skin color palette swaps either direction, so I don't think it's a big issue.

Lego really should've added more variety in the sets instead of including Tonto or the Lone Ranger in every set. I wouldn't be surprised if we see lots of people selling those minifigures online because they have multiples of them.

Just for snits and giggles, I went on BrickLink to see just how many of those two minifigures are already listed for sale. .....Well, that gave me a good laugh. Check this out.

Lone Ranger: 135 listings

Tonto: 72 listings

Look at this store in Germany with 222 Lone Ranger minifigures!!!!

And that same store with 134 Tonto's!

Just for snits and giggles, I went on BrickLink to see just how many of those two minifigures are already listed for sale. .....Well, that gave me a good laugh. Check this out.

Lone Ranger: 135 listings

Tonto: 72 listings

Look at this store in Germany with 222 Lone Ranger minifigures!!!!

And that same store with 134 Tonto's!

It's such a shame there's so many Tonto and Lone Ranger because they are phenomenal figs. Great detail on both, and the LR fig's ten gallon Stetson is my favorite fig head piece of all time. It just looks cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a few reviews of the movie have been quite critical.  Haven't read any directly but a summary of them in my local rag said most critics were panning it for being overlong and a bit of a mess.  Hopefully it's another case of critics being wrong.