The Lone Ranger 2013

IrishGuy66

Bought the whole set from Legoland store with a 20% off coupon - passed on Comanche camp. I'll open these and worry about getting investment ones down the road. I just finished a MOC caboose for the (power-function-less) train. The sets look awesome. I hope the movie holds up. The trailer looks pretty dark - rated PG-13. Western theme should be an AFOL winner imo.

I picked up the Stagecoach Escape set (79108) and the Constitution Train Race (79111) tonight at TRU!

I have not seen a Lego stag coach in ages. It was a blast to assemble. I have not opened the train yet.

I saw maybe 5 total sets tonight starting at 16.99 for the Lone Ranger with three Union Soldiers and a cannon to $119.99 for the train set. There are a bank heist set, a Comanche teepee and canoe set and some sort of mine set, if I recall correctly. I only bought two tonight, BOGO was not useable on them but I had a TRU frequent buyer 20% and a $10 off $50 or more coupons.

They even mark up new sets... The train race only retails for $99.99..

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Constitution-Train-Chase-79111?CMP=KAC-SAHCSNA&HQS=79111

They even mark up new sets... The train race only retails for $99.99..

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Constitution-Train-Chase-79111?CMP=KAC-SAHCSNA&HQS=79111

Pretty crappy that even when TRU disqualifies a particular theme from a BOGO sale, they still inflate the price over retail.

It`s very sad. I know a sale is coming when I walk into my local TRU and see the prices up $1, $2, $5, $10+ on sets. MF were 20% of last week, but they raised the price to $139.99 for a VC! I couldn`t pull the trigger at $112 even if I wanted to.

Going back to Lone Ranger, nearest Lego store is 2 hours away so I`ll have to wait till I take a trip up to get any. My eyes are fixed on the train and stagecoach (investment winner, yes?).

• 2 weeks later...

We may very well see a repeat of the POTC situation in which the train ends up doing great in the secondhand market like the ships, but the rest of the sets languish on shelves and are left for clearance. Everyone wants a train, but the opinion on everything else still seems to be up in the air.

We may very well see a repeat of the POTC situation in which the train ends up doing great in the secondhand market like the ships, but the rest of the sets languish on shelves and are left for clearance. Everyone wants a train, but the opinion on everything else still seems to be up in the air.

I really don't see a repeat happening.

Lego has had many pirate themes and they usually do well. I think Lego licensed POTC too late in the game. Correct me if I'm wrong but all of the sets were released in 2011 and the original movie came out in 2003. At that point people felt like they were beating a dead horse with a 4th movie.

It will be interesting to see if they actually finish a 5th movie and how that will effect the value of those sets.

Furthermore, there are 78 Pirate sets listed on bricklink (not including the 16 POTC sets) compared to the 22 (not including the 6 LR sets). We haven't had a western themed set released since 2002 (if you overlook he Toy Story sets) and that was a rerelease of a set from 1996.

The Lone Ranger WILL do well. Just try buying any of the original indian themed sets on ebay, heck even a fabric Tee-pee

goes for way too much!

I have high hopes for this theme, regardless of how the movie fares at the box office. They look amazing, and it's been over a decade since Lego released anything even remotely close to this thematically. Can't wait to start hoarding these as they go in sale. The train in particular is going to be a smashing success on the secondary market in a few years.

I think the train is going to be the star of the theme as well. But I wouldn't write off the other sets just yet, I think they will do pretty well also. I agree that the Western style of the sets means people will want them, not just fans of the Lone Range mythology or the upcoming movie. Having got a few of the sets in hand they do look great. I also think that ones like Stagecoach and especially Silver Mine will go will with the train set. People building the train will want to expand their layout by making it drive through the mine etc. Putting all the sets into a Western type display.

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious to hear some people's thoughts on the growth potential of the new Lone Ranger series. There seems to be some pretty unique minifigs and elements. Also, they seem to possess a good deal of playability. One of my boys just got the Silver Mine and he really digs it! Looking at the Stagecoach next. Is it possible to try to draw a somewhat fair comparison to POTC for potential future growth? Another 'Johnny Depp' series seems to have decent potential, IMO.

There are alot of interesting factors surrounding this theme that have people really unsure as to what it will do in the secondary market. People have brought up some really good things to think about on here, such as the fact Lego hasn't done a Western theme in a long time, and the proven theory that the train sets always seem to do well in the secondary market. That being said, I still believe there's quite a bit at stake regarding how well the film does at the box office. Google the new Lone Ranger film and you'll see that this film had all kinds of issues and concerns during production. Things like this always spook shareholders/investors. If the movie tanks, it doesn't necessarily mean that the toy line is going to suffer, but the POP theme sure did. It could be risky to invest alot of capital into this theme...in my opinion this one is somewhat of a gamble still, at least until we know a little more.

There seemed to be quite a lot of activity around the Lone Ranger sets at the Lego Store Grand Opening in St. Louis last weekend. I was planning to get a stage coach but already gone when I went looking on Sunday. I saw several people buying the train also but it was not sold out.

I think there are three Lone Ranger sets that will do very well: -Cavalry Builder Set -Stagecoach -Train Chase We actually have a majority of the sets in this theme and my son loves them. They are pretty cool I'll admit. I'm sure the movie isn't going to do as well as everyone hopes but I think the actual lego sets will do fine and if the movie tanks the prices on these sets will drop and a few years from now people may want to build a western themed scene and what better than use Lone Ranger sets.