The Lone Ranger 2013

IrishGuy66

• 2 weeks later...

So how do you think the Lone Range series will do now and later?

Sure seems to be a lot of anticipation on this theme ever since the pictures came out. I don't know if joe blow lego mom or dad or kid will like them, but I know the seasoned lego community is really looking forward to these because it's been so long since western sets have been out. Add to that that the sets are very nice, and they should do very well at EOL too. I think the train will be a home run.

Has anyone ever pre-ordered a LEGO set?

Never in my life have I ever preordered a single thing. (Not even Lego.) There would have to be one heck of a preorder bonus or special edition item to get me to remotely consider it at all but sometimes I usually end up finding those 'specialities' being sold in store normally and/or wasn't that big of a whoop to begin with. I bought a brand new special edition of the PC game Spore for a great discount just cause I could wait for it. Came with all the goodies too.

that train will go for good money EOL especially if it has a track and has a motor capability

Unfortunately it does not have Power Functions motor capability, but like any other train without Power Function capability, one can always make a few changes and have a customized version that allows the train to run on Power Functions. I love that the set comes with train track, that is a huge bonus!

I never pre-ordered a LEGO set from Amazon but I have pre-ordered DVDs and Video Games in the past. Basically you place an order as usual but your credit card is not charged until the items are shipped. On a couple occasions Amazon even shipped the item a couple of days early since the items arrived on the release day.

I just can't bring myself to preorder anything. These are toys made by a large toy maker. They will be available everywhere soon enough.

Plus they will be on sale. Better ROI plus you aren't stuck with a set for as long of a period of time. Unless you want to build it, then I don't really see a problem in preordering.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't. I wait till it comes out at retail stores or I when it gets discounted. I have however pre-ordered a video game before and it went really well.

I think this theme will do very well for a couple of reasons.

1. TLG hasn't released a Western theme in 17 years! Many Western theme fans will flock to buy these sets.

2. It is based off a movie. Unlike the Prince of Persia theme which was greatly affected by its horrible movie, I think this theme will benefit from having a movie that goes along with it even if the movie isn't the greatest. On the other hand if the movie completely flops like the PoP theme then it could mean big trouble for us investors.

3. It has a train! I know a train won't save the whole theme in a total meltdown, but it would at least help a little bit. Trains have been strong investments and a Western style train has been needed for years.

I haven't. I wait till it comes out at retail stores or I when it gets discounted. I have however pre-ordered a video game before and it went really well.

I think this theme will do very well for a couple of reasons.

1. TLG hasn't released a Western theme in 17 years! Many Western theme fans will flock to buy these sets.

2. It is based off a movie. Unlike the Prince of Persia theme, I think this theme will benefit from having a movie that goes along with it. On the other hand if the movie completely flops then it could mean big trouble for us investors.

3. It has a train! I know a train won't save the whole theme in a total meltdown, but it would at least help a little bit. Trains have been strong investments and a Western style train has been needed for years.

The Prince of Persia theme was based on a movie

The Prince of Persia theme was based on a movie that was based on a video game. :)

I'm wondering if the Prince of Persia sets don't hold value because they lacked any real substance. The movie was okay, the game it was based on is awesome, the characters (and camels ;-)) were cool, and had a nice color assortment of bricks, but can anyone actually remember the builds themselves? I need to constantly look them up to remember that there really was something there at all.

The Prince of Persia theme was based on a movie that was based on a video game. :)

I'm wondering if the Prince of Persia sets don't hold value because they lacked any real substance. The movie was okay, the game it was based on is awesome, the characters (and camels ;-)) were cool, and had a nice color assortment of bricks, but can anyone actually remember the builds themselves? I need to constantly look them up to remember that there really was something there at all.

In my original post I worded it incorrectly so it sounded like PoP didn't have a movie franchise. I fixed it now and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

The animals were great. (Ostrich, camel, etc.) I see what you mean by "lacked any real substance." None of the builds really stood out and they weren't very iconic. (Some Star Wars sets have an iconic feel going for them. The MF and the X-Wing are some examples.) If the PoP had more substance than maybe the theme would have done better. It's hard to tell.

I picked up the Stagecoach Escape set (79108) and the Constitution Train Race (79111) tonight at TRU! I have not seen a Lego stag coach in ages. It was a blast to assemble. I have not opened the train yet. I saw maybe 5 total sets tonight starting at 16.99 for the Lone Ranger with three Union Soldiers and a cannon to $119.99 for the train set. There are a bank heist set, a Comanche teepee and canoe set and some sort of mine set, if I recall correctly. I only bought two tonight, BOGO was not useable on them but I had a TRU frequent buyer 20% and a $10 off $50 or more coupons.