The Lone Ranger 2013

IrishGuy66

This theme will be coming out soon, and I have no idea what to think of it. (Prince of Persia all over again!) Ok, so I do know what to think, but what are everyone else's opinions? One of their sets I'll be buying in bulk is Tonto's Campfire Polybag. I mean you can't go wrong with a polybag.

Maybe it will depend on how the movie does? I know I will for sure be buying the train when it is on sale.

That's exactly what I was thinking, if this movie tanks, bye-bye profits, if the movie does well, $$$$$. But then again Toy Story was a huge franchise, and still the Legos were horrible.

That's exactly what I was thinking, if this movie tanks, bye-bye profits, if the movie does well, $$$$$. But then again Toy Story was a huge franchise, and still the Legos were horrible.

True. I guess there is just no way of knowing.

That's why I hate investing in movie themes, they're never sound. With the exception of StarWars.

This one touches on so many different categories of collectors that it's hard to pass up: -Western collectors -Western toy collectors -Lone Ranger collectors -LEGO collectors -Toy train collectors I've probably left something out... AFAIK PoP has only 1 of those categories going for it. IMO this is a buy regardless of how the movie does. If the movie does well then these sets will do even better. With Jerry Bruckheimer as the producer then the chances of this movie being a solid hit are really good.

This one touches on so many different categories of collectors that it's hard to pass up:

-Western collectors

-Western toy collectors

-Lone Ranger collectors

-LEGO collectors

-Toy train collectors

I've probably left something out...

AFAIK PoP has only 1 of those categories going for it.

IMO this is a buy regardless of how the movie does. If the movie does well then these sets will do even better. With Jerry Bruckheimer as the producer then the chances of this movie being a solid hit are really good.

..... Never thought of it that way, but I'm still only buying the polybags..... Your right Pickle Boy, that is weird.

I am waiting on this theme. If the movie isn't a HUGE success, and possibly spawn a sequel or two, then this line will be a complete bust. The reason being is that nobody under the age of thirty even knows who the Lone Ranger is these days, so if this movie fails to create a new, younger fan base then nobody will want the Legos either. Does anybody know the rating on this movie? I am assuming it will be PG and marketed towards all ages, like POTC? The train looks decent, but from what I have seen and read it is only around $100 and will not be motorized. AFOL train collectors probably will not be interested if that is the case, unless they plan on doing some serious modifications to it. Thoughts?

True. I guess there is just no way of knowing.

That's why I hate investing in movie themes, they're never sound. With the exception of StarWars.

Indiana Jones has done pretty well for me, but that has four movies in the series and has been around for decades. The Lone Ranger had a tv series from the 50's that nobody probably remembers much about, so this movie has to be a big hit for this line to be worth investing your $$ in, IMO.

As a licensed theme I can't see these as being huge winners. I think the only major thing they have going for themselves is the western elements. This is only the second time western fans will get a western theme.

Well..... this theme might be a huge success for that reason alone. Despite what modern TV says westerns are still extremely popular, there will always be kids playing cowboys and Indians, and in the 50's and 60's westerns were the wind beneath toy companies' wings. Will that happen again here.... only time will tell.

I think it's going to be a minor theme. The sets look cool from what I've seen. As for movie themes and LEGO sets, Prince of Persia as a movie sucked and it carried over to the LEGO sets, which were actually better than what people give them credit for. Others such as STAR WARS, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones all have done well. POTC have some quality sets, as do the Hobbit and LOTR. Toy Story and Cars sets were accurate and creative, but were investment dogs. Who knows what the Lone Ranger will do?

Well..... this theme might be a huge success for that reason alone. Despite what modern TV says westerns are still extremely popular, there will always be kids playing cowboys and Indians, and in the 50's and 60's westerns were the wind beneath toy companies' wings. Will that happen again here.... only time will tell.

I don't know if westerns will come back as big as they were in the past, however kids will always be playing cowboys and Indians. The main question as an investor is will there be enough kids that desire lego to play cowboys that parents will fork over the inflated EOL prices. Sadly I think the thing that will hurt this set the most is the fact that it is licensed. If you took the same sets and replaced them will the yellow mini figure I think they would perform better EOL.

I don't think I'm going to "invest" a ton in this theme, but I will be buying some for me. The cavalry set will be awesome for army building, and the scene sets will go well with the old Wild West sets. I think the train is probably the safest bet for investing, as you can cater to more themes of buyers. As for Johnny Depp having multiple figures, so does: Harrison Ford: Indiana Jones and Han Solo Orlando Bloom: Legolas and Will Turner Samuel L. Jackson: Mace Windu and Nick Fury Gary Oldman: Sirius Black and Commissioner Gorden also, Christopher Lee will soon with Saruman and Count Dooku. Warwick Davis will have like 5, though you never really see him particularly Professor Flitwick of HP, Griphook Goblin from HP, generic goblin from HP, Wicket (ewok) from SW, and Wald from SW

I am stoked about these, I loved the Wild West them back from the 90's and wish I had been able to get all of them. I plan to at least get the mine and train sets from the lone ranger. The real question is whether or not kids today will be interested in the wild west, I am not sure it will take off in lieu of all the asian hype in our culture right now. Bionicle, Ninjago and Chima are all big sellers with this generation and I won't know if they will care about re-enacting a train robbery instead of an epic battle loaded with mysticism and cool creatures.

I am stoked about these, I loved the Wild West them back from the 90's and wish I had been able to get all of them. I plan to at least get the mine and train sets from the lone ranger.

The real question is whether or not kids today will be interested in the wild west, I am not sure it will take off in lieu of all the asian hype in our culture right now. Bionicle, Ninjago and Chima are all big sellers with this generation and I won't know if they will care about re-enacting a train robbery instead of an epic battle loaded with mysticism and cool creatures.

I know a lot of kids the are really into cowboys and stuff but I agree with you I don't think it will ever be as popular as Ninjago or Chima but we'll see. I actually might get one or two of these sets too!

I had a lot of interest in the movie until I saw the trailer... I will wait and see what others have to say about the film before I decide to see it in the theatres or not. But Johnny Depp does it again coming up with a great look for Tonto. Hopefully the film does not repeat as another Wild Wild West...

Oh my god, wasn't that film awful?! Seriously, what the heck was that about? It just ended up being another excuse for yet another music video by Will Smith. (Not poking at Will Smith, just the film.)

He turned down the role of Neo in the Matrix for that film! lol

Though I have to admit, as well as Will, that the original Matrix would not have fit him and we were better off with Keanu Reeves.