The Lone Ranger 2013

IrishGuy66

All the sets are nice. They will be even better at 35% off when/if this movie flops. I am tryin to talk my son into going tomorrow...not interested at all. He is 5. Cowboy and Indian age 30 years ago. Never heard of either. Except woodie the cowboy.

You want to take your 5 year old to an over the top violent pg-13 movie?? <head slap>

I wonder how badly TLG regrets this tie in?  Everytime TLR movie is mentioned it's also mentioned that it's a bomb.  TLG easily could've made a western themed set that had a broader appeal with more minifigures rather than TLR theme with many of the same figs in every sets. 

Who wants a set that associated with a movie that's terrible?

I wonder how badly TLG regrets this tie in?  Everytime TLR movie is mentioned it's also mentioned that it's a bomb.  TLG easily could've made a western themed set that had a broader appeal with more minifigures rather than TLR theme with many of the same figs in every sets. 

Who wants a set that associated with a movie that's terrible?

I'm sure Lego doesn't regret it. They most likely have a general licensing agreement with Disney for all Disney products. We'll see any specific new parts developed for this line show up in other sets down the road.

A company takes a risk any time there's a movie tie-in. I'm sure it was factored in when they gave the go-ahead to do the theme.

Not sure why Disney thought the Lone Ranger would be a popular movie. Westerns just are not a popular theme with kids today. Disney tried to make a western version of PoTC and failed. The Lone Ranger is something my dad grew up watching. I grew up playing Star Wars and ***.i. Joes. And while I do like westerns I can think of dozens of westerns I would rather watch then a version of a series that i found very boring as a child.

Not to say the Lone Ranger does not have potential, but Disney needed a home run performance and they bunted instead. They should have started with a cartoon and reintroduced it to children. Or let another studio make it who does not try to apply the Disney formula to everything.

Lastly, I am not sure why people are blaming the critics. There have been plenty of movies that did well despite being trashed by movie reviewers. Word of mouth usually goes a lot longer way then a paid critic. This is a case of both critics and movie goers not impressed by a theme that died long ago.

I think westerns are great, but this one was a totall miss for many reasons.  May they just wanted to "proof" that nobody wants to see westerns any more?  Well, not this one.  They could make much better job.  Good actors doesn't mean you don't need a good story.

Saw the film last night. I wouldn`t say it was horrible, but needless to say it was far from great. The story was good, the garbage wrapped around it was...terrible. Depp had my attention and Hammer occasionally did, but nothing spectacular took place during that 2.5 hours. It was a fun watch though, laughing at how ridiculous everything was. Perhaps that was what they were going for?

Going to tie in with the thread now. Most of the audience at my screening was older. Theatre was nearly full, and I made sure to pay attention to the number of youngsters. Not very many. Mostly older folks, like the statistics have said. I still stand by my original statement: the Train and Stagecoach are the winners, because they carry a strong sense of nostalgia for those familiar with the western genre in general, and are also appealing to the kids who want a "play" set. I`m uneasy about the others, such as Colby City, because a shootout scene was never in the movie. No tie-ins whatsoever. Besides, Train and Stagecoach are fun sets, and I`ve already set cash aside for a bunch of both when a deal comes down the tracks. Ninjago is for kids, Lone Ranger is for "bigs kids."

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the movie has basically bombed, what is everyone's thoughts?  I saw it opening weekend and came home and told my wife that Disney owes me two and half hours of my life back.  I vaguely remember watching LR, Zorro and Tarzan cartoons before oging to school and playing with some western themed toys before GI JOE was introduced.

I bought the train and stage coach set as most everyone else did and put them together.  I have not decided to invest in either yet.  The train went from $129 to $99 at ToysRUs within a few weeks... I felt the train set was missing a passenger car too.  Passenger cars were used often in the movie as a setting for action.

I had to buy the stage coach, it reminded me of a toy one I had in the late 70's.

I was turned off to the other sets.  I almost bought the Comache Camp but decided against it since the duplicate figures.  I thought the town would be a good backdrop for the train but have not bought it yet.

I still think the train and stagecoach will do OK.  The rest, not so much.  I have one train and one stagecoach that I got for 25% off.  I may pick up one more of each once I can get them for at least 30% off.  One thing that may help the value is that I can't see this theme being available long.  My $0.02 is that this theme will be gone by the January clearance if not sooner.

In terms of value for money, I think you get a lot of decent stuff per set, so if you ignore that the film tanked, you have some pretty cool Western-themed stuff to play with.  And the minifigs look really good.  I have 2 Train, 4 Colby Duel and 1 Mine at the moment.  I'm going to wait for inevitable discounts now though.  If they don't come down, I won't lose sleep though.

I haven't seen the movie, but I have heard mixed thoughts on the movie, so I'm neutral on whether it will do good or not. But if some of the sets are being discounted it might be a bad sign for investors. The theme may turn out to be like the Prince of Persia theme because of this.