The Lone Ranger 2013

IrishGuy66

I think for those collectors who buy the train will also look to buy the remaining TLR sets.  It's because the train by itself look kinda bored without the other sets to decorate with. 

Only if you're collecting to collect.  If you buy it for kids to play - why not use other sets to make your own town?

I haven't seen the movie, but I have heard mixed thoughts on the movie, so I'm neutral on whether it will do good or not. But if some of the sets are being discounted it might be a bad sign for investors. The theme may turn out to be like the Prince of Persia theme because of this.

Can't agree, it's a western after all.  It may be in trouble if Lego decides to issue their own western theme soon after they discontinue LR.

to play - why not use any other bricks you have to build your own western town?

• 3 months later...

Anyone have any thoughts now on this theme. I am torn on letting it pass or loading up. I really like the aspect of western theme but am totally afraid of the prince of Persia syndrome. I feel like I either way I will be wrong on these.

IMO, the movie was a bust, just like PoP. That being said, there probably will be a lot of discounts on these sets in the future. You can load up on those discount.

Anyone have any thoughts now on this theme. I am torn on letting it pass or loading up. I really like the aspect of western theme but am totally afraid of the prince of Persia syndrome. I feel like I either way I will be wrong on these.

I'm going to grab a bunch of the Constitution Train, but that's about it.  I will probably have couple copies of the other sets just in case, but I won't mind building them if they tank.  I like the Western aspect of the theme a lot.  Probably because I live out here in the sticks.

Wait.  You can find better prices at Amazon and Target.  20% off is chump change on Lone Ranger sets.  These sets should easily discount at 30%+++.  Be patient.

Definitely, I'm not buying them right now. Just noting the current discounts. And the fact that the LEGO store has them discounted makes you ownder on the success of the line. I personally like the look of these sets and the western theme but maybe its not just grabbing the kids attention these days.

Definitely, I'm not buying them right now. Just noting the current discounts. And the fact that the LEGO store has them discounted makes you ownder on the success of the line. I personally like the look of these sets and the western theme but maybe its not just grabbing the kids attention these days.

I agree.  Nice sets.  Easy to collect all of them, but I wouldn't go crazy buying 10 of each set.  Maybe 2 or 3 of each is sufficient.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I just watched the LR movie on my long flight back from the Philippines and I dont see why it was panned so harshly. Now I'm a bit snobbish when it comes to movies and generally never pay my hard earned cash to watch popcorn action movies in the theater, but I have to say that this movie................wasnt that bad. I actually kinda enjoyed it!! Now maybe it was the fact that I was stuck in a big metal tube for 12 hours with a screaming baby a few rows back and god knows 12 hours on a flight can even make airline food seem appealing, but I honestly dont see why this movie tanked soooooooooooooooo hard, especially compared to some of the later Pirates films which all were money makers. I think maybe down the line this movie might be judged a little better than it was upon initial release. Or maybe I just have crappy taste in movies; some of my favorites are The Shining, Akira, Shawshank, Pulp Fiction, Unforgiven....

Anyway, that said, I think picking up a few trains and stagecoaches wouldnt hurt. I'm waiting until the inevitable clearance of both and then I'll get 10 of each. Lone Ranger or not I think buying train sets at 50-60 bucks leaves a lot of room for growth and very little for loss. 

I am not sure how to fully draw the conclusions yet, but I have more trouble moving stuff from this theme than any other. And that includes Chima.

Train might do ok, but it has been stockpiled a bit as well.

My thoughts go back to the train from toy story... i dont feel any of it will do well... 

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I just watched the LR movie on my long flight back from the Philippines and I dont see why it was panned so harshly. Now I'm a bit snobbish when it comes to movies and generally never pay my hard earned cash to watch popcorn action movies in the theater, but I have to say that this movie................wasnt that bad. I actually kinda enjoyed it!! Now maybe it was the fact that I was stuck in a big metal tube for 12 hours with a screaming baby a few rows back and god knows 12 hours on a flight can even make airline food seem appealing, but I honestly dont see why this movie tanked soooooooooooooooo hard, especially compared to some of the later Pirates films which all were money makers. I think maybe down the line this movie might be judged a little better than it was upon initial release. Or maybe I just have crappy taste in movies; some of my favorites are The Shining, Akira, Shawshank, Pulp Fiction, Unforgiven....

Anyway, that said, I think picking up a few trains and stagecoaches wouldnt hurt. I'm waiting until the inevitable clearance of both and then I'll get 10 of each. Lone Ranger or not I think buying train sets at 50-60 bucks leaves a lot of room for growth and very little for loss. 

I agree - I actually enjoyed the movie.  That said, will the negativity (much of it unfair IMO) also reduce the appeal of the theme?  I think eventually Lego fans will want Western-themed sets, and you'll have some very well done sets on the secondary market with TLR.  I think that's where the comparison with PoP falls short.

That said, I wouldn't count on blow out earnings for these sets.  I love the Stagecoach (never before done by TLG) and think the train will perform well.  I'm betting small on the rest of the theme, but you never know.

maybe if the train was motorized it would be different but there isnt any WOW factor with the train

I agree there is no WOW factor in the train. I have 3 of them for them for about $65. I have 2 stagecoach's. Thats all I am hanging on to. Might get another stage coach to go with the train. The theme is unique IMO, so banking on the train and stagecoach.

Have you guys built the train?  I think it's a great build, actually - the box doesn't do it justice IMO.  Nicely detailed engine and tender.  The gun and prison cars may not look like much from the box, but they round out the set nicely.  I was pleasantly surprised by how well done it was.  I agree that it could have used a caboose, but such is life.

Have you guys built the train?  I think it's a great build, actually - the box doesn't do it justice IMO.  Nicely detailed engine and tender.  The gun and prison cars may not look like much from the box, but they round out the set nicely.  I was pleasantly surprised by how well done it was.  I agree that it could have used a caboose, but such is life.

I think we all can agree most things look better with a nice caboose. :spiteful:
  • Like 3

I have built it and the train looks great under the xmas tree (minus the gun and prison cars). The Emerald Night is a bit big and a bit "too serious" for this use. The Constitution and the Toy Story trains have the right amount of whimsicality and fit the bill.

Btw, I'm saying this not having watched the movie, and I don't care to.

• Like 1