The Lone Ranger 2013

IrishGuy66

The popularity of Cowboys and Indians went away in the 50s with the boomer generation.  It's funny, because when I worked in a rural town in the west that was in a tourist area only europeans and japanese tourists would still think that sterotype still exists, as they are the only ones below the age of 60 that would don a stetson.  Seriously, cowboys have been exchanged for Snowboards, and extreme sports.

​I grew up playing Bo & Luke, not cowboys and indians.

​Given that teenage girls are now playing minecraft and think vampires, werewolves and zombies are cool, I would say anything can be made popular with the right internet marketing.  just need to get a couple kardashian to dress up like the lone ranger and tonto and those sets will go through the roof.  maybe drop a few lone ranger memes here and there...

oh and the train is a great set, with a little moc love.

Edited by jay4e

You guys definitely have a different market. It appears a person can sell for $95-$100 shipped here. Many bought in at ~$55 with the train. That's still a decent return on investment after one year.

​I've said... "except the train". The other sets are a bust. Even the stagecoach escape. Which I personally like alot.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Anyone here recommend getting the train chase set (79111)?  Seen one at a slight (about 5 EUR) discount to MRSP.  I know this theme hasnt performed all that well but i dont really get why the train hasnt been more of an outlier.  I actually think its a pretty neat set.  If it wasnt branded with the LR then with the track and locomotive i think it would be a winner.

Anyone still neck deep in this one and wishing they'd never heard of LR or is this one actually worth looking at?

Anyone here recommend getting the train chase set (79111)?  Seen one at a slight (about 5 EUR) discount to MRSP.  I know this theme hasnt performed all that well but i dont really get why the train hasnt been more of an outlier.  I actually think its a pretty neat set.  If it wasnt branded with the LR then with the track and locomotive i think it would be a winner.

Anyone still neck deep in this one and wishing they'd never heard of LR or is this one actually worth looking at?

i cannot speak for UK or european market but in US this is pretty much a dud for whoever bought these at or near MSRP of $99,99. its very much available @ amazon US for $128,95 after commission and shipping one can barely take $95,00

TLR train is certainly cool and if you want to get one for yourself i would say go for it ;) probably Euro 94,99 may be the cheapest available. but from investment perspective personally i would stay away from this unless its around 50% off . then it might be worth for the flip but again looking at the number of sellers; it looks like this is a very slow mover so i would most likely buy something else since there are better value elsewhere .. (i think :) ) obviously, UK and european market is "tad different" so can't comment :D

Edited by newbie77

Only reason I bought any LR set was because I was able to get them at 75% off aside from the train which was about 45$ . 

man.. you live in perfect area. i couldn't even pick up any calvary sets @ TRU $9,00 sale ... :) they were all gone long before that...

only set that is doing well in this is #79108 the stagecoach. $29,99 => $49,99  and of course the calvary builder set!.

Edited by newbie77

man.. you live in perfect area. i couldn't even pick up any calvary sets @ TRU $9,00 sale ... :) they were all gone long before that...

that was when you could get 50% off clearance at Meijer. Now you would be lucky to get 25%.

trains were at Walmart . 

Edited by Bold-Arrow

I feel Ciglione will have a lot to say about this when he wakes up.

If you check out the BP price guide link below you can estimate demand and prices. Also, I recomment double checking on Bricklink for more up-to-date stats and also the current stock country by country. It´s a good idea to favourite those pages if you have a smartphone and look them up in shop to see if something is a good deal or not.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=79111-1

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=79111-1--&colorID=0&viewExclude=Y&v=D&cID=N

To cut a long story short, it is selling for around 10% above German RRP and there are many many unsold listings that outstrip demand so the only way to be sure of making money is buy getting it at at least 50% off.

I feel Ciglione will have a lot to say about this when he wakes up.

If you check out the BP price guide link below you can estimate demand and prices. Also, I recomment double checking on Bricklink for more up-to-date stats and also the current stock country by country. It´s a good idea to favourite those pages if you have a smartphone and look them up in shop to see if something is a good deal or not.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=79111-1

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=79111-1--&colorID=0&viewExclude=Y&v=D&cID=N

To cut a long story short, it is selling for around 10% above German RRP and there are many many unsold listings that outstrip demand so the only way to be sure of making money is buy getting it at at least 50% off.

What makes you think that? You act like I have a trazillion of these. I don't.

The train is the less worse in this theme. If bought at a steep discount it makes some nice profit. 

The others are loosers. I cannot even sell them at buy-in. I would recommend to stay away from this theme and look at other themes. If you are stubbern at least buy mine.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately all trains have been doing rather poor lately. People complain about Arkham Asylum but HE has been the real dog of last years retirement. 7939, 7938, and this LR 79111 can't even clear their part out value is pathetic. Its true trains take more time to appreciate but I have my doubts now. Maybe trains are over and the younger generation with disposable income is not interested.  Trains are no longer guaranteed winners, especially if Lego is gonna put out 6+ different ones in the span of 3 years. Perhaps they are just to expensive now for what you get and now that we have remote control helicopters and drones for the same price who wants to play with a train that just goes around a track.

• Like 1

I've said it before and i'll say it again.  Cowboys and indians were all fed to the boomers.  Gen X, the Millenials, etc have little interest in most western type themes.  I think the movie Toy Story explained this well.  Now a woody minifigure, in the disney line?  Ok… I might buy multiples of that.  But, any western theme, i'd stay away from unless you plan on selling it to nostalgic boomers.