Craigslist war stories

tonysbricks

I just arrived in San Antonio / Fort Sam Houston for two weeks of Army training so I decided to check out the local craigslist postings on BP. I see a 10196 posted yesterday. I frantically text the seller, and of course it's gone. I ask her/ him what they got for the set, and he/she was very excited to tell me $400!!! Mind you, the seller described this as a complete set with box and instructions. I only saw a pic of the box, which looked pristine. If this was a complete set in good shape, hopefully it went to a Texas Brick Picker. Great pick up for someone. If only I had arrived into town one...day...earlier

• Like 1

I just arrived in San Antonio / Fort Sam Houston for two weeks of Army training so I decided to check out the local craigslist postings on BP. I see a 10196 posted yesterday. I frantically text the seller, and of course it's gone. I ask her/ him what they got for the set, and he/she was very excited to tell me $400!!! Mind you, the seller described this as a complete set with box and instructions. I only saw a pic of the box, which looked pristine. If this was a complete set in good shape, hopefully it went to a Texas Brick Picker. Great pick up for someone. If only I had arrived into town one...day...earlier

They have this great thing called the Internet. It's not location based. So you could check the listing from anywhere and start making calls... I'm giving you a hard time because I'm crying for you. I would have been all over that one too, and is be crying for days if I missed it.
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I had a intresting find at a cragslist yard sale. I ask if they have any LEGO and am told "someone got it all yesterday." So as I start to leave I comment that the only thing left was a bin of MegaB***k and am told "oh, that's all the little pieces of lego."  The $3 bin had almost all the pieces of http://brickset.com/sets/7050-1/Alien-Defender , 5-10 minifig accessories, 3 minfigs and about another pound of LEGO after I tossed the megabl**k.

I've been hunting for deals for the past couple months now. I'm new to the game and have made about 10 non-retail purchases including a couple on Craigslist. Decided to put it into perspective. The two "deals" on Craigslist rate as a couple of my worst, comparatively speaking. I search all of "Nearby Areas" Craigslist allows me to query for and they were the two best I've seen, too. Both of them came in the first couple weeks of looking and it's been a wasteland since. Took another look after reading some of the deals in this thread lol OFC No dice... There are more ads to buy Lego than ads to sell...

I once texted on something

Get there and being told the 2nd person was hot on this and tried to extort more money for the lot then originally advertised. Left the megabloks and took the Legos for original price and he thought he was ahead.

Also hate being 2nd on a lot and being told if first person doesn't take the lot, like that ever happens

• Like 1

I was strung along most of the day going back and forth on picking up a excellent score, trying to get the guy to confirm with a time and place.  In one email I said I wanted to check the stuff out before I bought.  Here is the reply:

"I'm selling legos, not diamonds.  
If I don't have time to sift through them, I don't have time to stand around while you sift through them."

I tell him I just want a quick visual to make sure they are not painted or very damaged, 5 minutes tops. 5 more hours go buy and he sends me a email around 9pm saying they are sold.

Edited by stephen_rockefeller
language

Psa for any fellow bper's in SoCal, there's a reseller based out of wildomar and he's completely out of his mind and potentially dangerous, I originally inquired about some his legos back in April and when I asked him if he was negotiable on his prices he cussed me out and started saying random sh!t lol. So now I've had my batcaves on cl for a couple weeks and last week I get a message from someone asking if I could do $65 and i told them no sorry and then a few days later I get an email from a different email address asking if I could do $65 and I said no sorry but I am negotiable and they go on to ask me for my phone number so they can text me and I give it to them and sure enough when they message me it's the same number from back in April! When I confront him over a text message he goes completely off the wall and tells me I'm lucky we didn't meet up because he'd beat me up and rape me........ So yeah here's some links to a couple of his posts, anyone on here that's located in SoCal do yourself a favor and steer clear of this psychopath, I don't know if he's just trying to use scare tactics since I'm a local competitor but either way that's unacceptable. There was another person who spoke out against him on cl and there was even a woman on one of my local exchanges that said he offered to give  her some free Lego in exchange for a bj.....

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tag/5257210727.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/tag/5236428430.html

Edited by California92563

There was another person who spoke out against him on cl and there was even a woman on one of my local exchanges that said he offered to give  her some free Lego in exchange for a bj.....

That´s an interesting way to get out of one´s  Dark Years....

• Like 2

Do any of you take a gun on Craigslist transactions? I do if I sell a phone or other electronics. Those seem to have the highest chance of violence. 

Plus,  I look at the grammar in the emails I receive. For some reason, I think "good grammar, good person". I'm not a complete grammar snob, as I make mistakes myself. But, I've found that language usage is usually a good measuring stick on CL. 

Do any of you take a gun on Craigslist transactions? I do if I sell a phone or other electronics. Those seem to have the highest chance of violence. 

Plus,  I look at the grammar in the emails I receive. For some reason, I think "good grammar, good person". I'm not a complete grammar snob, as I make mistakes myself. But, I've found that language usage is usually a good measuring stick on CL. 

Jeez, why risk a murder rap over a few hundred bucks? Meet in a public place (Starbucks, McDonalds.) Bring pepper spray or a tazer at most. I hope not to look back at your post and wonder if there is something I should have said when I read about " The Craigslist Murder." Please, don't bring your gun to a Craigslist meetup.

• Like 1

A "murder rap"? I'm not the one stealing. 

It is for self defense. I have all intentions of meeting in a public place. It still doesn't prevent people from following you to your car, home or wherever to steal their money back from you. 

Attorney here. In most states you cannot use deadly force to defend property. Only if someone is using deadly force against you can you respond with an equal amount of force. 

I understand that and figured everyone else did also. Not trying to make this seem like I'm some loose cannon waiting to shoot someone who grabs an iPhone from me and runs. 

But I would shoot out their car tires, while yelling Yeeeeeee-Haaaaaaaaaa, and then lasso them, tell them it's a citizen's arrest and wait for the sheriff. (again, this is a joke) 

• Like 2

Attorney here. In most states you cannot use deadly force to defend property. Only if someone is using deadly force against you can you respond with an equal amount of force. 

Fortunately,  Nebraska has the "Castle Law" or whatever it's called to protect your property if broken into.  They come in, they don't come out.

Seriously though, I have had nothing but good luck with CL when meeting people, whether it be for Lego sets or selling landscape block.  For the most part, good people around here, but I know that can't be said everywhere.  I have no issue with anybody that has a conceal/carry to bring it with them on a deal involving money.  People have died for less than a $400 Lego set.