Craigslist war stories

tonysbricks

Had to post this after the reaction to my post yesterday. One of my repeat customers asked for some old Spider-man sets so I went to the exchange just now and as with the last time he sent his girlfriend since she works close by. Figured you'd all enjoy another "tale". This is soon going to be turning into a Letters to Penthouse thread. :)

4 hours ago, Val-E said:

And soon after, a lego law firm specalising in pre-nups and divorces as there would be nothing more pathetic than 2 lego collectors fighting over the  estimated value of their respective stashes.They could name the firm Brick Separations.

"That's it, I'm taking my half of this MOC and all of the minifigures. Going forward, you'll give me one Modular house a month until I remarry."

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2016 at 1:34 AM, Val-E said:

And soon after, a lego law firm specalising in pre-nups and divorces as there would be nothing more pathetic than 2 lego collectors fighting over the  estimated value of their respective stashes.They could name the firm Brick Separations.

now you've got me thinking.

i'm a lawyer and this could very well be a niche practice area that could fuel my obsession for lego...hahaha :D

• 4 weeks later...

Really hate it when I finally get a bite and this is the email:

In the second picture the box is upside down. Are you on drugs?

I don't think I want to sell to that person. The "upside down" pic is to show the fully intact seals. Is it ok that I am offended by both the audacity of the question and the fact that this person could not try and figure out why a sober seller would do that on purpose?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Poly 30286 said:

I don't think I want to sell to that person. The "upside down" pic is to show the fully intact seals. Is it ok that I am offended by both the audacity of the question and the fact that this person could not try and figure out why a sober seller would do that on purpose?

On the one side, as long as they are a warm body with money and they want to buy at your price (and not do the CL low ball), money is money.

On the flip side, I've learned to trust your gut.  So if you're gut is telling you not to sell to them, then go with your gut.

1 hour ago, Poly 30286 said:

Reply with "Yes, I am on drugs. Will you buy my set so I can have money for more drugs?"

Seriously though, I would just ignore the guy. I wouldn't want to do business with inconsiderate morons. Plain morons are ok though.

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

On the one side, as long as they are a warm body with money and they want to buy at your price (and not do the CL low ball), money is money.

On the flip side, I've learned to trust your gut.  So if you're gut is telling you not to sell to them, then go with your gut.

Oh yes, I do like money, but I don't know how legit someone with that kind of opening line could turn out to be.

1 minute ago, oneknightr said:

Reply with "Yes, I am on drugs. Will you buy my set so I can have money for more drugs?"

Don't know if I'm dating myself... Flashback to Charlie Sheen in the police station in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Tried to find an image, but this is better

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Maybe they're trying to get all their shopping done at one time...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

Maybe they're trying to get all their shopping done at one time...

After further reflection... Maybe there is a drug ring posting upside down LEGO images to let potential customers know they are holding and looking for buyers. I may have inadvertently stumbled upon a speakeasy's secret knock

OR

Troll with bad manners. I wonder if the blurry picks and the "trackter" listing also got emails

• Like 3

Most probably a troll.

But I would take a deep breath and reply, ignoring the 'drugs' comment and explaining that the photo depicts the integrity of the seals. In an dry, self contained professional way.

If the person is a troll it will reply almost too fast with another stupidity and you can ignore it from now on.

If it is not maybe you got a client and now you know that you need to ignore half the things he says. Just don't make it easy for him.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I made a pretty good score earlier this week:

Listed as $60 for the 6090 Royal Knights Castle with "a few extras" in case the castle wasn't complete.    With the castle being worth it in parts alone I figured why not.   I met up with the guy, we chatted a bit and he gave me a cardboard box with the "Extras" in a very dusty condition and pointed out more castle pieces in it...  I spotted some vintage alien sets, a few Aquaraiders, and some small new & sealed Castle sets.  Sweet!

After parting ways (I paid the $60, and didn't haggle)  I poked around even more and found there's a pretty complete looking # 6281 Pirates Perilous Pitfall in there too!

Needless to say, I'm really happy with the purchase and am looking forward to cleaning it all up and seeing what else lurks in there!

I'll post more pictures of the haul spread out if anyone is interested.

Lego%20Purchase%20-%204-4-16%201_zpsfwus

Lego%20Purchase%20-%204-4-16%202_zpsst9y

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

See examples below.  There are a LOT of these in the Minneapolis section, various equipment types.  I think they get reported quick.

Seller lists some sort of vehicle with photo, but then scroll down a ways and they're listing a TON of video game stuff.  I think that's what's really for sale.  Is it counterfeit?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/5591919262.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/snw/5591859783.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/snw/5591172470.html

Anybody know what's going on with these?  See them in other cities?

1 minute ago, rpaulson7 said:

See examples below.  There are a LOT of these in the Minneapolis section, various equipment types.  I think they get reported quick.

Seller lists some sort of vehicle with photo, but then scroll down a ways and they're listing a TON of video game stuff.  I think that's what's really for sale.  Is it counterfeit?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/5591919262.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/snw/5591859783.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/snw/5591172470.html

Anybody know what's going on with these?  See them in other cities?

I've seen those on my local CL too...pretty annoying