Craigslist war stories

tonysbricks

So a guy on LETITGO app (kinda like craigslist) kinda ripped me off the other day. He sold me a scooby doo mystery mansion for 40 dollars but told me everything was in there.   I opened it because seals were already broken, bags were all sealed, but come to find out 2 bags were missing from the box.  I have his phone number and license plate from his car and now it is my life long goal to annoy him to death lol.  

Edited by Darth_Raichu
Removed personal info
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One set I have listed on CL for $70, I had one guy email at the end of May saying he "would like to bid $40 on the set." I replied that it wasn't really an auction that you bid on, the price is $70. He responds " Fifty sounds fair since I'm spending 20 on gas anyway." No, that is not fair, your travel does not affect the price of my item for sale. He told me (in a much less nice way) to go have sex with my hand. 

I just reposted the item, and yesterday got another email from him saying "I bid $50." 

I also had another person ask me to bring the set to his house. No thanks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

One set I have listed on CL for $70, I had one guy email at the end of May saying he "would like to bid $40 on the set." I replied that it wasn't really an auction that you bid on, the price is $70. He responds " Fifty sounds fair since I'm spending 20 on gas anyway." No, that is not fair, your travel does not affect the price of my item for sale. He told me (in a much less nice way) to go have sex with my hand. 

I just reposted the item, and yesterday got another email from him saying "I bid $50." 

You should ask him if you repost it will he bid $60?

On 6/1/2016 at 1:01 PM, Davetheman1010 said:

So a guy on LETITGO app (kinda like craigslist) kinda ripped me off the other day. He sold me a scooby doo mystery mansion for 40 dollars but told me everything was in there.   I opened it because seals were already broken, bags were all sealed, but come to find out 2 bags were missing from the box.  I have his phone number and license plate from his car and now it is my life long goal to annoy him to death lol.  

could you obtain the missing bags from lego? here comes the ethics train!

You should respond with, "since we are negotiating, I'll take $80"

The guy is back at it. After I said the price was $70 for the millionth time, he asked if I would take $60. Then a short time later he followed up with this gem:

"I'm in [Town he lives in] 
By the time I drive to [Town I live in] and back I spent 40 in gas 
I think 50 is a fair offer 
Also it's been on there for a month 
Not many five year olds look on Craig's list for Lego sets ....."

I did the math, that means he averages 8 miles per gallon if he is spending $40 on gas round trip. And the $40 is already double the original $20 he said.

I told him to try Amazon or Ebay. 
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

The guy is back at it. After I said the price was $70 for the millionth time, he asked if I would take $60. Then a short time later he followed up with this gem:

I did the math, that means he averages 8 miles per gallon if he is spending $40 on gas round trip. And the $40 is already double the original $20 he said.

You should tell him it all evens out since your time is worth something as well and he's wasted plenty of it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

Maybe he switched to driving a hummer in the month you had the listing up. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sharkbait said:

'Not many five year olds look on Craig's list for Lego sets..." Too bad for you. I'm sure they would be easier to reason with than him

• Like 2

On 08/10/2015 at 7:36 PM, iahawks550 said:

Do any of you take a gun on Craigslist transactions? I do if I sell a phone or other electronics. Those seem to have the highest chance of violence. 

Plus,  I look at the grammar in the emails I receive. For some reason, I think "good grammar, good person". I'm not a complete grammar snob, as I make mistakes myself. But, I've found that language usage is usually a good measuring stick on CL. 

lol... That made me laught.  Taking a gun selling out a UCS falcon... ok.. maybe..   (we don't have that problem here)...    but taking a gun for a small sets.. exemple 150$, people have more to do no? they is tone of selling object worth more than a simple lego kit....  different mentally totally

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few.....

1. About 3 years ago a guy on CL listed a used UCS Falcon for $400....I thought the Lego Gods are smiling on me.....I was the first one to call him on it and we talked and I had it for $350. Being that it was late and in the middle of winter I said I will drive out tomorrow morning and pick it up about 2 hours away. About half and hour goes by and he texts me and said another person is willing to give him his full asking price but wanted to give me a chance to match it since I was the first person, I agreed on the $400 and thanked him for the chance and being a person of his word that I was the first and wanted to honor that. Well I get up early and take my 18 year old son for back-up, I didn't know the area so I thought that would be a good idea. We get about half way there and I call him to get specific directions and I get the news....."I talked to my brother last night and he convinced me to keep it for my nephews, I didn't call you last night because it was late...." My thought was that the other guy either offered him way more money or got pissed that he would not sell it to him so he told him what it was really worth.....

2. I saw a listing on a local FB group for a Black Pearl and a Queen Ann's Revenge, both used and complete with pictures of them built for $50 each. I was the first person to contact her and set up a meeting for about an hour from then to pick it up. She immediately put a sold label on the two listings, I thought that's good for me. I am in the car at the ATM pulling out the money and I get a message saying that her son thought about it and now does not want to sell them. Ok, kids will do that.....then she sends me a text saying he looked them up on eBay and used sets are going for well over $200 each so now he will sell them to me for $150 each. I told her that I could not pay that and good luck on eBay. Well a few weeks have gone by and I texted her asking if he has sold them yet, she replies he has not even listed them yet. I tell her when he is ready I am still interested. Now about a month goes by and I texted her again and her reply was that he still has them. I told her I would give him $200 for both. She said she would ask him. She texts me a few days later saying he would do both for $200. We meet and the kid, about 14, would not even get out of the suv, his mom had to do it all....I ask if they are sure they are all complete and she assures me they are, and from what I saw in the pictures they looked it. She then got in the suv and handed him the money. I take them home and the first thing I notice is that both had book one missing....I go to check the pictures because I know it shows the instructions and I know it had both books for each.....the pictures were taken down. I text her and let her know that the instructions for both had books missing. She said "that is odd I know they were there" and I replied to her that it is going to cost me about $40 to get instructions for both. She asked her son and said that is all he had and that was it. My thought is the kid got mad that he didn't get what he wanted so he took out the books and threw a temper tantrum and didn't wan to get out of the car.

3. Many numerous people from CL and FB that have stood me up and never would answer the texts or the phone....

On 6/16/2016 at 9:22 PM, TargetZero said:

lol... That made me laught.  Taking a gun selling out a UCS falcon... ok.. maybe..   (we don't have that problem here)...    but taking a gun for a small sets.. exemple 150$, people have more to do no? they is tone of selling object worth more than a simple lego kit....  different mentally totally

dont sell to this guy ^ :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TargetZero said:

uh? i am from canada, we don't have guns like chocolat bars here

Actually we do. We have about one quarter as many guns per person that the US has, which makes us 12th highest in the world. We just seem to be better at enforcing our laws.