Craigslist war stories

tonysbricks

yes & no - I have my real name on the account:

craigslist has implemented 2-way email relay to help stop spam and scams.

When replying to a post you'll see an address like:

[email protected]

When answering an email you'll see an address like:

[email protected]

Use your email program as you normally would.

PLEASE NOTE: The “real name” field (e.g. Jane Doe) in your email program is passed through to the recipient. Any contact information in the body of your message will pass through unaltered.

First time in my life I'm thankful for a super generic name.

Quite honestly, he seems like the type of jerk that would not be satisfied unless you were the one that was getting screwed.  It's not like he was getting screwed in any case.  It seemed like a fair deal at the very least.  I know how these people think.  He's got nothing to lose by continuing to pick at you until you give in and give a significant deal.  I honestly don't know why cheapskates even get into Lego.  It's an expensive hobby.   Tell him to go collect Hot Wheels.

You must not collect hot wheels ;) that can get out of control quick also.

• 1 month later...

I found this one today:

https://providence.craigslist.org/vgd/5325694479.html

Ad reads: Lego Dimensions for PS4 - Need today

Seemed a bit shady, but Target still has 35% off, so I thought I would let them know about the cartwheel deal. Sent a text about the deal. 2 replies from the guy asking if I actually had one and if I would sell to him. No smartphone. NEEDS this today. Said I was too far away and sorry I can't help. Suggested he ask a friend to go to Target. He asked where I was. I got sketched out and turned off my phone. Now I can't help thinking, why would anyone have an URGENT need for Lego Dimensions ASAP? Scam?

Edited by ebelle122

8 minutes ago, ebelle122 said:

I found this one today:

https://providence.craigslist.org/vgd/5325694479.html

Ad reads: Lego Dimensions for PS4 - Need today

Seemed a bit shady, but Target still has 35% off, so I thought I would let them know about the cartwheel deal. Sent a text about the deal. 2 replies from the guy asking if I actually had one and if I would sell to him. No smartphone. NEEDS this today. Said I was too far away and sorry I can't help. Suggested he ask a friend to go to Target. He asked where I was. I got sketched out and turned off my phone. Now I can't help thinking, why would anyone have an URGENT need for Lego Dimensions ASAP? Scam?

Not sure if it's a scam, but it sounds like too much trouble to handle their BS. Ain't nobody got time for that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Some silly reseller was butt hurt because I wouldn't sell him sets today...

He wanted 50% deals, so I kindly told him, "Thank you for your interest, good bye".

The unknown reseller kept bombarding me with txt about how I will never sell the sets I have listed and said other things, which I figured he was sour...

I even state on my CL ad, resellers should not pursue transactions with me!

Craigslist TROLL-of-the-day... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo I was going to pay you 2000 for it.

-------- Original message --------
Date:02/03/2016 11:44 AM (GMT-08:00) 
To: x
Cc: 
Subject: Re: Lego 10225 R2-D2 

I have some bad news for you.
I just sold it to someone for $925 cash.

Sorry about that.
Thanks and have a good day.

Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:07 AM

I know do you mind if I throw in a kit kat with the deal. 

Date:02/03/2016 10:06 AM (GMT-08:00) 
Cc: 

You're right about R2-D2 being highly collectible.
$900 cash.
We can meet today if you'd like.

Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:00 AM

Those are star wars highly collectable right now you can get 3 times normal price for anything star wars from now until 6 pm tonight. 
On Feb 3, 2016 9:58 AM, x wrote:

Why are you offering so much?
Are you being serious?

Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:22 AM

Yes yes yes
On Feb 3, 2016 7:21 AM, x wrote:

900 for R2?

Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:36 AM
Subject: Lego 10225 R2-D2

Can you do 900 ?

http:xxx

14 minutes ago, kunfuzd said:

Craigslist TROLL-of-the-day... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo I was going to pay you 2000 for it.

Date:02/03/2016 11:44 AM (GMT-08:00) 
Cc: 

I have some bad news for you.
I just sold it to someone for $925 cash.

Sorry about that.
Thanks and have a good day.

Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:07 AM

I know do you mind if I throw in a kit kat with the deal. 

Date:02/03/2016 10:06 AM (GMT-08:00) 
Cc: 

You're right about R2-D2 being highly collectible.
$900 cash.
We can meet today if you'd like.

Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:00 AM

Those are star wars highly collectable right now you can get 3 times normal price for anything star wars from now until 6 pm tonight. 
On Feb 3, 2016 9:58 AM, x wrote:

Why are you offering so much?
Are you being serious?

Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:22 AM

Yes yes yes
On Feb 3, 2016 7:21 AM, x wrote:

900 for R2?

Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:36 AM
Subject: Lego 10225 R2-D2

Can you do 900 ?

http:xxx

Wtf? Lol

Here's a different kind of war story. Just sold the Arctic Batman and Power Armour Lex sets to a woman on Craigslist and when we met she asked why I was selling them. Usually I say something like I bought it as a gift and someone else bought it too so I was just reselling it as it avoids sparking a discussion with the implication "Yes, I am taking money from you that you could have saved if you were a better shopper". For whatever reason I actually said I usually buy one for me and one or more to sell as a hobby and that one comment turned into a 1 hour long information dump by me on investing in and selling Lego, including pointing her to this site, comparing this to stocks, discussing my views on which sets are good to buy and when, where to find deals, how to sell, some of my most memorable scores like the $7 Deadpool sets I scored months after retirement and sold the same week for $80 each. Mind blown. She had a look in her eye like she just stepped out of the Stargate for the first time. We might see her around here as I definitely sparked an interest in doing this. It was fun to have this kind of discussion with someone in person.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zelgazra said:

You may have just sparked some local competition too ;) 

True enough, and that did cross my mind as I thought "Why am I giving this all away" but I'm pretty happy with my hobby status and success right now and there is definitely enough room in Canada's biggest city for some competitors. That was one of the discussion points, how there seem to be proportionally fewer people doing this in Canada than the US. If anything I think I just got a repeat customer as she was asking about other sets I had that she wanted and can't get in stores. I have half a dozen people now as repeat customers, mostly because I'm located right above Toronto's main transit hub in the middle of downtown where there tens of thousands of parents who need sets for Timmy and no toy stores here. Half my sales literally involve me walking to the next tower across the street. I'm probably trodding the same ground as drug dealers to the suits down here

5 minutes ago, lego rules said:

She must have been pretty damn HOT to spend an hour giving away all the secrets!  She totally had you wrapped around her finger!

It was just the right combination of friendly chatter about common interests and it was right after work so neither of us had anywhere to be. 

Edited by jeff_14

3 minutes ago, labfreak7 said:

Sounds like you glorified it a bit much.

I kept to the facts and was certainly emphasizing the need to be selective and thoughtful when doing this. A good part of it was me explaining what sets I avoid and why, how long it can take depending on the set (ie Death Star).

55 minutes ago, lego rules said:

She must have been pretty damn HOT to spend an hour giving away all the secrets!  She totally had you wrapped around her finger!

51 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

It was just the right combination of friendly chatter about common interests and it was right after work so neither of us had anywhere to be. 

The short answer to lego rules' question - Yes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, labfreak7 said:

Sounds like you glorified it a bit much.

I kept to the facts and was certainly emphasizing the need to be selective and thoughtful when doing this. A good part of it was me explaining what sets I avoid and why, how long it can take depending on the set (ie Death Star).

Maybe someone should look into starting a lego dating thread and/or service. :)

20 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

And soon after, a lego law firm specalising in pre-nups and divorces as there would be nothing more pathetic than 2 lego collectors fighting over the  estimated value of their respective stashes.They could name the firm Brick Separations.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

BrickLove. 

21 minutes ago, Val-E said:

And soon after, a lego law firm specalising in pre-nups and divorces as there would be nothing more pathetic than 2 lego collectors fighting over the  estimated value of their respective stashes.They could name the firm Brick Separations.

TheBrickSeparators.png

• Like 6