Craigslist war stories

tonysbricks

I could be wrong but I don't think Canada had all the civil wars and revolutionary wars the United States had. I have looked at most countries with many wars and guns seem much harder to take away or regulate afterwards, even if it has been a very long time. Tribilism, and gangs can be a huge part in countries gun issues too. Again, I could be very wrong. I am a scientist not a politician or historian ;)

On 6/30/2016 at 10:25 AM, Salimr said:

I could be wrong but I don't think Canada had all the civil wars and revolutionary wars the United States had. I have looked at most countries with many wars and guns seem much harder to take away or regulate afterwards, even if it has been a very long time. Tribilism, and gangs can be a huge part in countries gun issues too. Again, I could be very wrong. I am a scientist not a politician or historian ;)

We were central to the various England vs France wars of the 1700s, which also involved natives a lot so there was a real need for frontier people to have guns back then. From 1776 through the mid-1800s we were always on the watch for invading Yanks (particularly around the War of 1812) and our country was formed in part to ward off US invasion once its civil war was over. Many of our immigrants in the decades after 1776 were Loyalist Americans who supported the Brits and came north, bringing their guns with them. My sense is that guns were about as common here as in the US until the 20th century, at which point gun ownership kept increasing in the US despite urbanization while ours levelled off. Our most gun heavy province is Alberta, which was largely settled by Americans about a century ago. 

Uggh...  I bought 5 shoeboxes worth of Lego from a seller on CL recently at a little under $10 a box (and at 2+ Lbs. each).  They looked OK at a glance, but the more I dig into them the more I find that the majority of pieces have some kind of visible playwear, and they're just a bit too grimy...   Also finding a fair amount (maybe 10%) of non-lego junk within...

I'm really torn on whether I should go full-in and continue sorting and cleaning, or just try to relist and get my money back so I can find a better quality lot to put my time into...   

Edited by Victorymike18

15 minutes ago, Victorymike18 said:

Uggh...  I bought 5 shoeboxes worth of Lego from a seller on CL recently at a little under $10 a box (and at 2+ Lbs. each).  They looked OK at a glance, but the more I dig into them the more I find that the majority of pieces have some kind of visible playwear, and they're just a bit too grimy...   Also finding a fair amount (maybe 10%) of non-lego junk within...

I'm really torn on whether I should go full-in and continue sorting and cleaning, or just try to relist and get my money back so I can find a better quality lot to put my time into...   

I as of late had 2 lots with pieces that were chewed by a dog

ruined 1 end of the hull of a viking ship

That stinks...

Yeah, sun damage and heavy wear are the killers for me, I just don't feel like dealing with (or ultimately selling) parts in that condition.

I can deal with some non-lego or dust & dirt as I clean everything pretty thoroughly.   My last haul had some great condition castle content, but was very dusty - I can handle that.

Edited by Victorymike18

This is a Kijiji story in the greater Toronto area.

Saw ad titled "Lego 50lbs" asking price $150 CAD (thats about $115 USD).  Seller was located about 45 minutes outside of Toronto.  I emailed her within 15 minutes of her listing.  I asked if this was all Lego (no megabloks, Kinetix....etc), and if the 50lbs included the weight of the container.  She responds and says its mostly Lego, she sorted most of the other branded items out, and yes, the estimate weight included the container.

I'm thinking at $150, even at 40lbs, thats a great deal.  I didn't feel it necessary to negotiate the price (fear she would sell it to someone else) and offered to buy it.  Had some reservations intially, and didn't feel like making the drive.....but the thrill of the hunt pushed me to go.

After arriving at the seller's residence and she lugged out the bin for me to review.  Upon lifting it, I immediately realized this was definitely not 50lbs.  Not even close!  I mentioned this to the seller and asked if she actually weighed it.  She admitted that it was not put on a scale, rather her husband estimated this based on all his experience "pumping iron"!!   I am serious, she said that!  I told her that this was definitely not 50lbs, more like 35-40lbs at best.  Also, quickly looking through the bin, there were a lot more junk than she described, and only a handful of minifigures.  This collection had clearly been played with by children, and not in the best condition.

Despite all the red lights going off in my head.....and not wanting to go home empty handed after 45 minute drive.  I offered her $120......which she accepted immediately.  I realized I offered too much, and I will probably regret it.

Sure enough, after arriving home, I begin to do some minor sorting.  There were even more junk than I expected......worse of all, there was a large stone at the bottom of the bin!  The stone probably weighed a couple of pounds!  The smell of pets all over this collection became obvious as well.  I felt like an idiot after discovering that.  I ended up spending a couple of hours sorting and the final weight of the Lego was under 25lbs!  This was probably one of the dumbest decisions I've ever made, despite all the red flags, I really need to get my head checked for still going through this deal.  I guess I got all caught up in the hunt for deals and blinded by better judgement.

On a positive note, I ended up selling it back on Kijiji to someone who wanted to pick up some cheap Lego for their kid to play with.  Ended up selling it for what I paid.....minus time/gas I spent.

This experience has definitely deterred me from ever considering buying bulk crap.  Don't ever want to buy someone else's problems again.

Feels good to rant :) Thanks for reading.

Edited by Vader888
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Vader888 said:

Saw ad titled "Lego 50lbs" asking price $150 CAD (thats about $115 USD).  Seller was located about 45 minutes outside of Toronto.  I emailed her within 15 minutes of her listing.  I asked if this was all Lego (no megabloks, Kinetix....etc), and if the 50lbs included the weight of the container.  She responds and says its mostly Lego, she sorted most of the other branded items out, and yes, the estimate weight included the container.

I'm thinking at $150, even at 40lbs, thats a great deal.  I didn't feel it necessary to negotiate the price (fear she would sell it to someone else) and offered to buy it.  Had some reservations intially, and didn't feel like making the drive.....but the thrill of the hunt pushed me to go.

After arriving at the seller's residence and she lugged out the bin for me to review.  Upon lifting it, I immediately realized this was definitely not 50lbs.  Not even close!  I mentioned this to the seller and asked if she actually weighed it.  She admitted that it was not put on a scale, rather her husband estimated this based on all his experience "pumping iron"!!   I am serious, she said that!  I told her that this was definitely not 50lbs, more like 35-40lbs at best.  Also, quickly looking through the bin, there were a lot more junk than she described, and only a handful of minifigures.  This collection had clearly been played with by children, and not in the best condition.

Despite all the red lights going off in my head.....and not wanting to go home empty handed after 45 minute drive.  I offered her $120......which she accepted immediately.  I realized I offered too much, and I will probably regret it.

Sure enough, after arriving home, I begin to do some minor sorting.  There were even more junk than I expected......worse of all, there was a large stone at the bottom of the bin!  The stone probably weighed a couple of pounds!  The smell of pets all over this collection became obvious as well.  I felt like an idiot after discovering that.  I ended up spending a couple of hours sorting and the final weight of the Lego was under 25lbs!  This was probably one of the dumbest decisions I've ever made, despite all the red flags, I really need to get my head checked for still going through this deal.  I guess I got all caught up in the hunt for deals and blinded by better judgement.

On a positive note, I ended up selling it back on Kijiji to someone who wanted to pick up some cheap Lego for their kid to play with.  Ended up selling it for what I paid.....minus time/gas I spent.

This experience has definitely deterred me from ever considering buying bulk crap.  Don't ever want to buy someone else's problems again.

no way! you found a ucs rock! i have always wanted one!

• Like 6

This is not a "war" story but a good experience I just had with Craigslist.  

Found a listing for Death star 10188 NISB for $375.  I emailed asking if he would consider shipping, same state but 6 hour drive each way.  We exchanged a few emails and agreed on $415 shipped UPS.  He invoiced my paypal and I paid yesterday, he shipped yesterday and it arrived today.  It is in pristine condition, just like it came from Lego. Still in both original lego shipping boxes.  I was nervous after reading this thread but super excited and happy I found this deal.

• Like 5

On 7/19/2016 at 2:40 PM, xxgatorzxx said:

Found a listing for Death star 10188 NISB for $375.  I emailed asking if he would consider shipping, same state but 6 hour drive each way.  We exchanged a few emails and agreed on $415 shipped UPS.  He invoiced my paypal and I paid yesterday, he shipped yesterday and it arrived today.  It is in pristine condition, just like it came from Lego. Still in both original lego shipping boxes.  I was nervous after reading this thread but super excited and happy I found this deal.

good for you

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2016 at 3:22 PM, Vader888 said:

I would have given her stone back...through her window.

• Like 1

On July 19, 2016 at 3:40 PM, xxgatorzxx said:

In Jacksonville?  I talked to that guy within minutes of him posting, but had already spent $400 that day on a Tumbler, Grand Emporium, Avenger Tower, and Quinjet. Tried to trade him, but he wasn't into Lego, just Star Wars. Regret not buying it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TigerEyez said:

In Jacksonville?  I talked to that guy within minutes of him posting, but had already spent $400 that day on a Tumbler, Grand Emporium, Avenger Tower, and Quinjet. Tried to trade him, but he wasn't into Lego, just Star Wars. Regret not buying it. 

yes, Jacksonville.  It is minty fresh.  he was very easy to deal with. 

On July 8, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Starkthunder said:

I have to sell to pay for my sons surgery with no pics. I wonder how many bite

600 for this? is that plane even Lego?

Are you in Jacksonville? Those postings have been up for months. I was going to check out the "$600" lot, but figured he wouldn't take the $200 I'd offer him.  FYI all the sets listed as in Ortega are mine.