COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

3 minutes ago, Legojona said:

Virus going to virus. Just like with the Spanish flu after the First World War, when a lot of troops were returning home, we're in a world with a lot of people moving around. I don't think any country will be spared. There is no real way to control a thing like this, so the focus on politics does not really make sense to me. The virus goes unnoticed for a while and then it is already too late.

Ever since we started living together closely and threw animals into the mix, we experienced these kinds of things. 

Let's just hope this fizzles out. In the meantime, stay inside and play with your lego! :D

Good points...I suspect that it's widespread, we just don't know how to test for it. I bet some Americans have already had it and recovered without knowing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, zmnnch said:

That is the Costco at Honolulu, HI

Iwilei is one of the busiest stores in the company so while that might be busier then normal due to panic, it's not as out of control as you might think for a busy store.  There are some Asian stores that have 2-3 hour wait times just to get into the store on busy days.

4 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

Good points...I suspect that it's widespread, we just don't know how to test for it. I bet some Americans have already had it and recovered without knowing.

Case in point - one of my Dutch friends just told me that he has an italian colleague (in NL) who had a friend over 2 weeks ago who got sick during his stay (he was from affected area in Italy). Shortly after all the friends he met with got sick. Nobody went to the doctor to get tested for coronavirus - they just let it run its course. There will be many more cases like this - this disease is all around us, all we are hearing are the folks who got too sick to handle on their own, and then the people that got preventatively tested because of that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

3gc9lhqizbd41.jpg

Good ole' Hand, Foot and Mouth disease.  I got that last year after a trip to Disneyworld.  What a mess as an adult.  My son had it for like 2 days.  I had it for weeks with huge blisters on my feet and hands.  What a mess.  

3 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Good ole' Hand, Foot and Mouth disease.  I got that last year after a trip to Disneyworld.  What a mess as an adult.  My son had it for like 2 days.  I had it for weeks with huge blisters on my feet and hands.  What a mess.  

And fortunately you survived ... just like 98% of all people infected with "oh so dangerous" Corona will.

The whole issue with this virus is NOT about how dangerous or even infectuous it is (because it is not). Corona just shows us how tightly connected we are globally. And that's about it.

Edited by Frank Brickowski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Legojona said:

Virus going to virus. Just like with the Spanish flu after the First World War, when a lot of troops were returning home, we're in a world with a lot of people moving around. I don't think any country will be spared. There is no real way to control a thing like this, so the focus on politics does not really make sense to me. The virus goes unnoticed for a while and then it is already too late.

Ever since we started living together closely and threw animals into the mix, we experienced these kinds of things. 

Let's just hope this fizzles out. In the meantime, stay inside and play with your lego! :D

Greenland very hard to get sick as i see on Plague.Inc

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

And fortunately you survived ... just like 98% of all people infected with "oh so dangerous" Corona will.

The whole issue with this virus is NOT about how dangerous or even infectuous it is (because it is not). Corona just shows us how tightly connected we are globally. And that's about it.

I wouldn't overpanic, but I wouldn't underestimate it either. One question to all the pro doctors with exact mortality rates here that have studied this for years: if the virus is as harmless as you guys state... why did the market crash? Why do countries seal off whole cities with millions of people? Why do factories cut off production? Why didn't they cut it off when people had influenza?

This stuff makes no sense at all.

1 minute ago, elmaslıefendi said:

I wouldn't overpanic, but I wouldn't underestimate it either. One question to all the pro doctors with exact mortality rates here that have studied this for years: if the virus is as harmless as you guys state... why did the market crash? Why do countries seal off whole cities with millions of people? Why do factories cut off production? Why didn't they cut it off when people had influenza?

Correct.

Lol, does Hawaii have any cases?

This kind of thing is worthy of being monitored by us all, but the panic that some people are feeling that drives them to stock up on food is silly. The media is good at stirring up frenzies like this.

Looking at that chart, I’m surprised at the high lethality of Bird Flu. 

Edited by labfreak7

48 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Exactly for most of us once again it will be the disruptions in the supply chain including life sustaining medications not just TP and hospitals getting overwhelmed. For those of us over 80 and/or with comorbidity not so good. 

329D45AC-A8AB-44C8-8180-44935C4C5030.png

I think the externalities will be pretty big in terms of economy and social life. Even with a death rate of 1/500 under 40, you have to wonder if you would take the risk of going to work or letting your kid go to school. Imagine a company having to choose between closing down the offices when the opposite it that 1 out of 250 of their employees might die as a result of it. 

I stocked up on food because I think a lot of things will be shut down. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Panic by people who are clueless as to what is actually going on or following others/media who also don't know like sheep.  Same reason there is a shortage of masks although they are basically worthless.

I think a person is making a poor choice when there is an opportunity to buy a couple weeks worth of non-perishable items and doesn't. Chance you are quaranteed in your home for two weeks, small. Chance you can use your items you bought later this year after nothing happened, 100%

Edited by iahawks550
  • Like 4