COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

The President has a Press Conference scheduled for 6:30 EST. I am sure he will state the Union is great and the Coronavirus = bad, but manageable.

Speaking of the common flu, I wonder how the deaths and cases of similar scale in other countries compare to the US? That seems to be the main counterpoint to COVID-19 is the US should be more concerned about the flu, something we develop vaccines for (although apparently strain B, which my sister in law has right now) is the one that isn't being combated by the current vaccine.

Ai agree the flu is concerning, but for me COVID-19 is just as because there has yet to be a vaccine involved.

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Frankly I am concerned with San Francisco with their high homeless population and filthy street riddled with human poop.  Introduce a potent virus like CV and boom, chaos like nothing we have seen before

Mayor of San Francisco declared a state of emergency today. California has over 8K people on Home quarantine that have not been tested. The CDC still has the testing criteria set to have traveled to Wuhan or been in contact with someone that has, this is so behind the curve as the virus is now in South Korea and Italy two nations with high travel rates to the US.  Here is a link to the CDC which shows total people tested now 445 up from 426 so only 19 people tested nationwide in 2 days. We got a letter at work today from the DPH and they referenced these numbers as a sign of containment as I am sure the President will tonight but it is false hope  

As far as the “tip of the iceberg” theory that @cladner referenced that was the comoomn belief that under all of these severely ill cases are thousands of people that get it and are fine this would make the case mortality rate much lower.  But now that South Korea is testing all of the members of the church, around 1K so a good sample size, that is not what they are seeing as there are not asymptomatic positives YET. This may be a lagging indicator so we have to give it another 2-3 weeks to see how it pans out. 

As far as the flu goes the AMA will continue to push that agenda but there is no comparison to Covid-19 when it comes to the R0 which has been kept low by the amazing quarantine efforts in China you will not see that here in the USA, and the CFR. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Cheeto in Chief has a Press Conference scheduled for 6:30 EST. I am sure he will state the Union is great and the Coronavirus = bad, but manageable.

Speaking of the common flu, I wonder how the deaths and cases of similar scale in other countries compare to the US? That seems to be the main counterpoint to COVID-19 is the US should be more concerned about the flu, something we develop vaccines for (although apparently strain B, which my sister in law has right now) is the one that isn't being combated by the current vaccine.

Ai agree the flu is concerning, but for me COVID-19 is just as because there has yet to be a vaccine involved.

🙄

19 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

so are "n95 respirators" the correct ones?

These but they have been picked clean you may find some at Mom and pop hardware stores.  China is no longer exporting them and 3M USA has been pumping them out 24x7. With the statement that HHS needs 300 Million for healthcare workers but only has 30 Million we may see all future production diverted.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YKBV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

605BD684-6034-471E-A150-9C58050601AB.jpeg

Edited by Pseudoty

18 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

These but they have been picked clean you may find some at Mom and pop hardware stores.  China is no longer exporting them and 3M USA has been pumping them out 24x7. With the statement that HHS needs 300 Million for healthcare workers but only has 30 Million we may see all future production diverted.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YKBV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

605BD684-6034-471E-A150-9C58050601AB.jpeg

Are we discussing masks for reseller scum purposes? We've hit new lows. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NIevo said:

Which really show's you how clueless people are about the virus as regular flu masks don't work.

The reality is the mask mainly serves as a physical reminder not to touch your face w/ your hands...at least until you wash your hands...which is the primary route of exposure.

If someone who's a vector cough aerosols into the air near you...anything short of a full forced air body suit will be vulnerable...a simple mask (ANY MASK) won't keep the aerosols out of your eyes or prevent contamination of your hair and clothes which will eventually contaminate your hands...

I have begun to accept the likelihood that I will eventually contract this virus.  I was browsing around online for the masks and they're sold out everywhere.  They also aren't 100% (as mentioned before) and I'm not going to go into panic mode trying to hunt them down or pay outrageous prices.  Wash hands, cough into elbows, etc. is the best I can do.  I also have a 7-year-old so the connection to elementary school and all that makes it almost impossible for me not to get (under the assumption it starts flowing around communities like the common flu).  Part of me would rather contract it now so I can start building some kind of immunity down the road instead all this waiting around to get sick.  At the same time, I will be watching this forum for mask availability chatter on the chance I have some ability to do something.  No one likes to feel helpless.

• Sad 1

The professionals are advising that only those who are sick or have the virus need to wear the face masks. The masks aren't intended to be worn by people who are not sick. This is what they were saying today on CNN. I'm not an expert it's just what the news was reporting today.

• Like 1

Just a reminder that we agreed at the start to be adults in this thread.

We are going to be respectful of public officials and keep politics out.

If you are going to refer to the President, please do so by name or title. The same as any other person in office. No stopping to the “calling someone a nickname.”

Only warning. Posts will get hidden otherwise, or, the thread will just end up closed.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Commander in Chief has a Press Conference scheduled for 6:30 EST. I am sure he will state the Union is great and the Coronavirus = bad, but manageable.

Apologies.