COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

Your talking probabilities here not logic. Logic is about a system of axioms that are consistent. consistency being precisely defined, that your axioms can not be used to both prove something and prove its contrary. Now talking probabilities, of what authoritarian rulers who have made themselves and their families and friends insanely rich via completely unknown and intentionally hidden means, well good luck with those bets. Probability is great for 10^23 gas molecules in a room or poker hands but for people, the least savory and trustworthy of people no less, no thanks. Proof = truth, no proof= we don’t know!
The video link that I was responding to, which has since been taken down, was insinuating that the deaths or disappearance of 4 people, a doctor, a lawyer and two youtube "journalists", who had either spoken out about China's handling of the outbreak or accused the government of deliberately releasing the virus was proof that the government did release the virus. That is the logical fallacy I was speaking of.
  • Like 1

This is when s**t hits the fan. How many of these so called cleared Coronavirus patients spread the virus to the population AFTER they were discharged from the hospitals?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-reinfection-explainer/explainer-coronavirus-reappears-in-discharged-patients-raising-questions-in-containment-fight-idUSKCN20M124

A coronavirus patient admitted to the Sacramento hospital on Feb. 19 caused at least 124 health-care workers — 36 nurses and 88 other workers — to self-isolate at home, National Nurses United said in a statement. “Lack of preparedness will create an unsustainable national health care staffing crisis,” the union wrote in its statement. “Nurses view the handling of this COVID-19 case as a system failure and not a success.”

Edited by junkrigger

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

This is when s**t hits the fan. How many of these so called cleared Coronavirus patients spread the virus to the population AFTER they were discharged from the hospitals?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-reinfection-explainer/explainer-coronavirus-reappears-in-discharged-patients-raising-questions-in-containment-fight-idUSKCN20M124

Quick addition: they don't discharge patients that are still infected. There are people who were tested positive, were cured, tested negative, discharged, only to be tested positive again a few days later. This virus is mutating, that's why it's so dangerous.

4 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Quick addition: they don't discharge patients that are still infected. There are people who were tested positive, were cured, tested negative, discharged, only to be tested positive again a few days later. This virus is mutating, that's why it's so dangerous.

The virus is not "so dangerous". Mutating btw can (and does in this case) also lead to a less "dangerous" variant of the virus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

You don’t get cured from this as of now you recover. RNA viruses can reamplificate or you can get another exposure that your immune system does not fight off for several reasons. 

15 hours ago, sauromosis said:

People are avoiding buying Corona beer, that tells you how stupid people can be.

Edit: if it went on sale I'd load up.

Yes, I hear about people drinking bleach, so they can be pretty dumb.  As for people reacquiring the virus, I think doctors are questioning whether or not they were free and clear of the disease in the first place and testing irregularities.  Let's face it, it's here and people need to take simple precautions to help prevent the spread.  If you are sick, stay home.  Keep home sick kids.  Wash you hands.  If you are sick, wear a mask. 

There probably are hundreds, if not thousands of people infected with this in the US and most are not dropping dead as of yet.  Most probably won't.  So it's a glass half empty/full argument.  It sucks that it's here, but maybe it's a minor issue for the majority of the infected.  What annoys me is the news media trying to scare people for ratings and politicians from both sides acting like tools.  People need to focus and work together and this hopefully will be a minor issue in most well developed countries.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

You don’t get cured from this as of now you recover. RNA viruses can reamplificate or you can get another exposure that your immune system does not fight off for several reasons. 

Sure, you recover. But they fight the symptoms, there's a reason people are in the hospital. I think you have a much higher chance that way, if the virus really hits you bad. For most people that's not going to be the case, a house quarantine will probably be enough. 

Edited by elmaslıefendi

31 minutes ago, brickolodon said:

I don't want this to end up as a political piece.  It is an unfortunate situation that is not the fault of any president or politician.  This will be dealt with by regular Americans and people from around the world.  Regardless of your political affiliation, I think the president handled himself much better with today's press conference and focused more on the virus than the stock market and himself.  He has some quality people working with him that are experienced in dealing with situations like this.  People need to stop the political rhetoric and work together.  Period.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The time to help each other is here yes! But to not acknowledge mistakes and that proper procedures and working tests and protocols should have been in place weeks ago, Especially When people in China and other countries were sacrificing with their freedoms and lives to buy the rest of the world a head start against this, because it might be political to acknowledge those mistakes is not acceptable in a democratic society.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, junkrigger said:

The time to help each other is here yes! But to not acknowledge mistakes and that proper procedures and working tests and protocols should have been in place weeks ago. Especially When people in China and other countries were sacrificing with their freedoms and lives to buy the rest of the world a head start against this, because it might be political to acknowledge those mistakes is not acceptable in a democratic or republic society.

It seems acknowledging mistakes is in short supply in today's political climate.  A simple "my bad"  or "I'm sorry" or "I was wrong and will correct it" goes a long way.  Personally, I am very tired of it and going forward, I expect more from all of these politicians and news agencies.  It's always about the "gotcha" moment.  Very few adults without an agenda in charge of the country and news that sways public opinion.

• Like 3

It's understable in a way. Politians & "the system" doesn't want panic, that's the last thing they need. Of course they'll say that they have everything under control. Just until it's obvious it's too late. One statement & hell breaks loose. Let's hope the best. We already have the biggest 5-day market decline since 1929, that's the bigger problem (or bless) for the wealthy. 

We can do it though. If a pandemic is coming, it's coming. It's not like we can still stop it.

The biggest thing anyone could have done to keep this from spreading from there to here was to stop travel in/out - this was done very early.

This move was largely condemned by the media as being an act of racism, which would only lead to more xenophobia.

Not having done that early would have been more damaging to the people of our country than any decision that could be made going forward.

• Like 3

Virus going to virus. Just like with the Spanish flu after the First World War, when a lot of troops were returning home, we're in a world with a lot of people moving around. I don't think any country will be spared. There is no real way to control a thing like this, so the focus on politics does not really make sense to me. The virus goes unnoticed for a while and then it is already too late.

Ever since we started living together closely and threw animals into the mix, we experienced these kinds of things. 

Let's just hope this fizzles out. In the meantime, stay inside and play with your lego! :D

• Like 1