COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

Table 1. Confirmed and suspected cases of COVID-19 acute respiratory disease reported by provinces, regions and cities in China, Data as 01 March 2020

Province/ Region/ City

Population (10,000s)

Daily

Cumulative

Confirmed cases

Suspected cases

Deaths

Confirmed cases

Deaths

Hubei

Guangdong

Henan

Zhejiang

Hunan

Anhui

Jiangxi

Shandong

Jiangsu

Chongqing

Sichuan

Heilongjiang

Beijing

Shanghai

Hebei

Fujian

Guangxi

Shaanxi

Yunnan

Hainan

Guizhou

Tianjin

Shanxi

Liaoning

Hong Kong SAR

Jilin

Gansu

Xinjiang

Inner Mongolia

Ningxia

Taipei and environs

Qinghai

Macao SAR

Xizang

Total

Table 2. Countries, territories or areas outside China with reported laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths. Data as of 01 March 2020

Country

Total confirmed*

cases (new)

Total deaths

(new)

Transmission

classification

Days since last

reported case

Western Pacific Region

Republic of Korea

3736 (586)

18 (1)

Local transmission

Japan

239 (9)

5 (0)

Local transmission

Singapore

102 (4)

0 (0)

Local transmission

Australia

25 (1)

0 (0)

Local transmission

Malaysia

24 (0)

0 (0)

Local transmission

Viet Nam

16 (0)

0 (0)

Local transmission

Philippines

3 (0)

1 (0)

Imported cases only

Cambodia

1 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

New Zealand

1 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

European Region

Italy

1128 (240)

29 (8)

Local transmission

France

100 (43)

2 (0)

Local transmission

Germany

57 (0)

0 (0)

Local transmission

Spain

45 (13)

0 (0)

Local transmission

The United Kingdom

23 (3)

0 (0)

Local transmission

Switzerland

18 (8)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Norway

15 (9)

0 (0)

Local transmission

Sweden

13 (1)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Austria

10 (5)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Croatia

7 (2)

0 (0)

Local transmission

Israel

7 (2)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Netherlands

7 (5)

0 (0)

Local transmission

Azerbaijan

3 (3)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Denmark

3 (1)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Georgia

3 (1)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Greece

3 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Romania

3 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Finland

2 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Russian Federation

2 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Belarus

1 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Belgium

1 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Estonia

1 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Ireland

1 (1)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Lithuania

1 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Monaco

1 (1)

0 (0)

Under investigation

North Macedonia

1 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

San Marino

1 (0)

0 (0)

Local transmission

South-East Asia Region

Thailand

42 (0)

0 (0)

Local transmission

India

3 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Nepal

1 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Sri Lanka

1 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Eastern Mediterranean Region

Iran (Islamic Republic of)

593 (205)

43 (9)

Local transmission

Kuwait

45 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Bahrain

40 (2)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

United Arab Emirates

19 (0)

0 (0)

Local transmission

Iraq

13 (5)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Oman

6 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Pakistan

4 (2)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Lebanon

2 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Afghanistan

1 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Egypt

1 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Qatar

1 (1)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Region of the Americas

United States of America

62 (0)

0 (0)

Local transmission

Canada

19 (5)

0 (0)

Local transmission

Brazil

2 (1)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Mexico

2 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Ecuador

1 (1)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

African Region

Algeria

1 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Nigeria

1 (0)

0 (0)

Imported cases only

Subtotal for all regions

6464 (1160)

98 (18)

International conveyance

(Diamond Princess) 

705 (0)

6 (0)

Local transmission

Grand total§

7169 (1160)

104 (18)

*Case classifications are based on WHO case definitions for COVID-19.

Transmission classification is based on WHO analysis of available official data and may be subject to reclassification as additional data become available. Countries/territories/areas experiencing multiple types of transmission are classified in the highest category for which there is evidence; they may be removed from a given category if interruption of transmission can be demonstrated. It should be noted that even within categories, different countries/territories/areas may have differing degrees of transmission as indicated by the differing numbers of cases and other factors. Not all locations within a given country/territory/area are equally affected.

Terms:

• Community transmission is evidenced by the inability to relate confirmed cases through chains of transmission for a large number of cases, or by increasing positive tests through routine screening of sentinel samples.

• Local transmission indicates locations where the source of infection is within the reporting location.

• Imported cases only indicates locations where all cases have been acquired outside the location of reporting.

• Under investigation indicates locations where type of transmission has not been determined for any cases.

• Interrupted transmission indicates locations where interruption of transmission has been demonstrated (details to be determined)

Cases identified on a cruise ship currently in Japanese territorial waters.

§278 female/393 male/6498 unknown. 31 healthcare workers (7 female/12 male/ 12 unknown).

• Like 1

People have to be careful of what they read and how things are spun, from either political party.  Even some of the "TV" doctors like to spin things for effect.  These numbers are changing so fast, it's hard to keep up.  One can find good news or bad news in every new release of information.  While the internet can be a great source of information, it is also a great source of misinformation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

33% case fatality rate?  You better check you numbers....

Per CNN..Italy's Civil Protection Authority reported the country now has 1,694 confirmed coronavirus cases, up from 1,128 confirmed cases on Saturday. Thirty-four people have died. About 2%...

While I don't want to jinx anything, they said today that that patient zero was probably infecting people since mid January in Washington.  A layman would figure there should be hundreds of cases in that area causing major issues as we speak.  Maybe there will be, but also maybe it has had minimal impact on many people.  The first responders had no idea that there was Coronavirus involved I believe.

33% in the elderly with comorbidity 

Washington numbers are early but 9 cases and 5 deaths = 55%

the average length of stay in the hospital for those that do recover is 24 days 

1 minute ago, Pseudoty said:

Sorry, I really wasn't sure what you were referring to.  This virus sucks, any way you put it.  My parents are prime candidates for this virus.  We will have to go buy food for them if it hits NJ hard.  

• Like 1

Our Chinese owner is making is daughter leave the US earlier than planned because of all this virus talk.

I have a work trip scheduled to San Diego in 2 weeks.

We have a scheduled trip to Disney World with our two daughters at the end of the month.

March is shaping up to be one to remember. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Our Chinese owner is making is daughter leave the US earlier than planned because of all this virus talk.

We have a scheduled trip to Disney World with our two daughters at the end of the month.

I love Disney World, but it's a cesspool.  On a good note, lines will be shorter!

• Like 2

I have to weigh in here, we found Universal far more filthy than Disney. By the end of the days we were there, the bathrooms were completely trashed and some of us got food poisoning from eating in the Harry Potter area. The bathrooms in Disney stayed clean all day.

• Sad 1

This all ignores the fact that due to lack of testing kits and prioritization calls, and due to the fact that many people will not have major symptoms while infected, the percentages are way off. Yes 5 dead out of 9, but who says there aren't 1000+ people walking around in WA with this virus who don't even get tested?
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Phil B said:
26 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

This all ignores the fact that due to lack of testing kits and prioritization calls, and due to the fact that many people will not have major symptoms while infected, the percentages are way off. Yes 5 dead out of 9, but who says there aren't 1000+ people walking around in WA with this virus who don't even get tested?

This is pretty much what I think as well.  Nursing and retirement homes will be devastated by this.  If this is a minor nuisance to many, they won't go to the doctor or hospital. There could be hundreds, if not thousands, walking around with this, with some already over it.  

32 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

We're going on a trans-Atlantic Disney cruise in early May from Miami to Barcelona. After the cruise, we're staying in Rome for about a week. We booked this trip (cruise, flights, airbnb, etc) months ago and are now a bit worried. It's two months away but I don't think this'll blow over by then.

Edited by oneknightr

We're going on a trans-Atlantic Disney cruise in early May from Miami to Barcelona. After the cruise, we're staying in Rome for about a week. We booked this trip (cruise, flights, airbnb, etc) months ago and are now a bit worried. It's two months away but I don't think this'll blow over by then.

Did you get Traveler’s insurance? If not I’d contact them and pay for the option to cancel. Wife is supposed to go on a Viking river cruise in July. Not really holding out hope that’s gonna happen.

5 hours ago, oneknightr said:

I told my wife ANY trip planned now until this blows over we'll get travelers insurance on.  We were hoping to fly to Alaska in June but tickets aren't "cheap" (to us) and with the added risk should come added risk mitigation.  I usually don't buy the insurance.  I'm not so much worried about whether or not we get sick necessarily (I've mentioned before I probably will at some point) but there's just various disruptions around because of all this, warranted or not.

54 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

I told my wife ANY trip planned now until this blows over we'll get travelers insurance on.  We were hoping to fly to Alaska in June but tickets aren't "cheap" (to us) and with the added risk should come added risk mitigation.  I usually don't buy the insurance.  I'm not so much worried about whether or not we get sick necessarily (I've mentioned before I probably will at some point) but there's just various disruptions around because of all this, warranted or not.

alot of policies exclude pandemics make sure you read the fine print 

Edited by river41
clarity

COVID-19 claims 6 lives in Washington state, US preps for pandemic? Dow very volatile today and Fed Reserve first emergency rate cut today....  plus Super Tuesday and Nashville. Strange that no cases for COVID19 in Vegas with 40+ mil ppl visiting per year...yet

34 minutes ago, brickolodon said:

COVID-19 claims 6 lives in Washington state, US preps for pandemic? Dow very volatile today and Fed Reserve first emergency rate cut today....  plus Super Tuesday and Nashville. Strange that no cases for COVID19 in Vegas with 40+ mil ppl visiting per year...yet

Let's face it, there are most likely cases in Vegas and LA and NYC and many more cities.  Many are blown off as the common cold or flu.  The Washington situation targeted the most susceptible of situations.  

I live in New Orleans and we just had Mardi Gras and all that it brings . Normally my family and me get out of town for the week. This year I'm stuck working a turn-around for two months so my family went to Disney without me. Very surprised they haven't announced any cases here yet. Maybe beads, boobs and booze is the cure.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Thanos75 said:

I live in New Orleans and we just had Mardi Gras and all that it brings . Normally my family and me get out of town for the week. This year I'm stuck working a turn-around for two months so my family went to Disney without me. Very surprised they haven't announced any cases here yet. Maybe beads, boobs and booze is the cure.

Alcohol does kill bacteria and viruses.

relatively speaking, the low fatality rate, suggests that the disease is not that bad,  but the panic is real.

I am hoping that what we learned from the world to the neighborhood reactions will help to ward off a future Pandemic where it's possibly more Ebola-like instead of flu-like. 

Much to learn form all this...kind of like a "near-miss" analysis.