COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

51 minutes ago, Thanos75 said:

I live in New Orleans and we just had Mardi Gras and all that it brings . Normally my family and me get out of town for the week. This year I'm stuck working a turn-around for two months so my family went to Disney without me. Very surprised they haven't announced any cases here yet. Maybe beads, boobs and booze is the cure.

I feel better just reading this

giphy.gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

The panic is out of control. The mayor of San Antonio declared a state of disaster when one of the quarantined patients left and later tested positive.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/02/cdc-released-a-woman-in-texas-who-tested-positive-for-the-coronavirus-totally-unacceptable.html

Well, she did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.  That might help. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

relatively speaking, the low fatality rate, suggests that the disease is not that bad,  but the panic is real.

I am hoping that what we learned from the world to the neighborhood reactions will help to ward off a future Pandemic where it's possibly more Ebola-like instead of flu-like. 

Much to learn form all this...kind of like a "near-miss" analysis.

This is what I'm thinking as well.  As you said, the panic is real.  Admittedly, the older a person is, the more danger they are in.  Nursing homes are ripe for viruses.  And being quarantined to their room is not as effective as you think.

I will admit, I'm anticipating the day someone gets diagnosed and they say, "I just came from Disney World," or "I've been riding mass-transit for weeks."  That is when people will lose it... 

There is already a guy just north of NYC who was diagnosed and because he has two children in local schools, the two schools closed as a precaution.  The kids don't have it, only their dad does.

We had 2 schools close here locally to deep clean/disinfect that hosted some students recently that had ties to an organization that had an individual who had been in contact with another individual who had tested positive.  Let that sink in.

Also, the whole sanitizer shortage is out of control.  Company I work for can't even get commercial sanitizer bottles for the store as everything is sold out.

6 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Admittedly, the older a person is, the more danger they are in.  Nursing homes are ripe for viruses.  And being quarantined to their room is not as effective as you think.

but how is that any different than a "regular" flu?  "Natural causes" for the elderly basically means: cancer, heart disease, or pneumonia-like symptoms 

29 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

but how is that any different than a "regular" flu?  "Natural causes" for the elderly basically means: cancer, heart disease, or pneumonia-like symptoms 

It's not, which is why the panic surrounding this is so ridiculous.

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Because of Herd immunity which for Covid-19 there is none. 

1 hour ago, brickolodon said:

Deaths climb to 9 today...

3f4b91f04ae1c2d844984a311ff53bbb.jpg

No need to keep tabs of the death count here.  You can go to any news feed and get that info.  Let's try to keep it informative and positive.  I'm not trying to sugarcoat things, but people come here for support and camaraderie.  If it's something that can help people, definitely post it.  Let's all work together and focus on improving the situation.  Many of you are way more intelligent than I and do jobs that can offer some insights into situations like this.  Thanks...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Actually many elderly don't die of the diseases.  It's when they have a weakened immune system that they become more susceptible.  They die of something else, pneumonia, flu, etc.    I've seen it too many times.

Edited by exracer327

10 hours ago, nolanfan34 said:

My son and I have tickets to Sunday for Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle. I was a little surprised they are moving ahead with it. 

News reports actually say that children only make up around 3% of the cases so far. That makes me feel a lot better with our trips planned with our young girls.

I live in Columbus, Ohio. Our cities largest event of the year is the Arnold Classic. It's the largest sports/fitness event in the world (I think). It draws 25K athletes from across the globe and 250,000 - 300,000 people over a 3 day weekend event. They just announced the competition will still go on but it's closed to spectators. And the Expo area (in the convention center for tons of vendors) will be closed completely. This will be a huge financial hit to the city. But it's understandable given the circumstances.

1 hour ago, CosmicSpeed said:

News reports actually say that children only make up around 3% of the cases so far. That makes me feel a lot better with our trips planned with our young girls.

Knock on wood....Yes, doctors are looking to children and their "immunity" for clues.  Some say it's their lung condition.  Others say they have more exposure to other coronaviruses and that they have a built up a basic immunity to that type of virus.  

A few people in my department left work today as they are both part of the national guard and apparently part of the local FEMA board.  One, as he was heading out, told me the county was meeting to go over the local FEMA plans and to discuss how (if necessary) to manage citizenry movement or where boundaries would be defined.  Our county houses Iowa's only nuclear power plant so we've had emergency disaster plans in place for years in the case of a meltdown with the county divided up into zones.  It seems they're planning to use the current model as a template and then potentially redefine boundaries as necessary to apply it to COVID-19 contingency plans.  I think it's good that they're meeting to lay the groundwork and discuss the possibilities of how to manage this.  Anyway, just keeping the group informed.  I wouldn't have known had I not been told directly so I'm sure other communities are meeting with FEMA to do the same in different states/counties.

21 hours ago, exracer327 said:

This is what I'm thinking as well.  As you said, the panic is real.  Admittedly, the older a person is, the more danger they are in.  Nursing homes are ripe for viruses.  And being quarantined to their room is not as effective as you think.

I will admit, I'm anticipating the day someone gets diagnosed and they say, "I just came from Disney World," or "I've been riding mass-transit for weeks."  That is when people will lose it... 

There is already a guy just north of NYC who was diagnosed and because he has two children in local schools, the two schools closed as a precaution.  The kids don't have it, only their dad does.

actually both kids tested positive so they also have it as does his wife and  the neighbor that drove him to the hospital

42 minutes ago, river41 said:

actually both kids tested positive so they also have it as does his wife and  the neighbor that drove him to the hospital

I'd like to know what precautions the neighbor took (that didn't work)

The news is 99% rehashed useless counts...but little actually helpful info (like above); let's say neighbor took zero precautions (that tells us something useful about being in a close space (car)

Or if neighbor had on a N95 mask (worn properly) and did not use the car again (for 5 days; presumptive surface viability of virus) and cleaned all hard surfaces with alcohol...and still got it...THAT also tells us some valuable info.

Stuff like this..instead of "1 more death today in County X of an elderly immuno-compromised person" 

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

ReSelling N95 mask is a gateway product for QFLL!

Another angle is the price gouging contingency probably brought in quite a bit new resellers into the "game"...once the rush for health supplies fades...they will be looking to get into other genres...

I wouldn’t worry about most of those new sellers. Amazon has ban over 10k from price gouging.