COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

2 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

I think a person is making a poor choice when there is an opportunity to buy a couple weeks worth of non-perishable items and doesn't. Chance you are quaranteed in your home for two weeks, small. Chance you can use your items you bought later this year after nothing happened, 100%

For reference.  From John Wiseman's SAS Survival Handbook.  I've had the book for years and pull it out periodically.

20200229_200241.jpg

16 hours ago, Phil B said:

Case in point - one of my Dutch friends just told me that he has an italian colleague (in NL) who had a friend over 2 weeks ago who got sick during his stay (he was from affected area in Italy). Shortly after all the friends he met with got sick. Nobody went to the doctor to get tested for coronavirus - they just let it run its course. There will be many more cases like this - this disease is all around us, all we are hearing are the folks who got too sick to handle on their own, and then the people that got preventatively tested because of that.

It’s funny that you say that. I have been sick with the flu twice this year already. I would be categorized as a healthy person in their  early 40’s (41), and I have never gotten the flu twice in the span of two months . I wonder if the virus hit NY, and people are confusing it with the regular flu.

• Like 2

One man’s experience in NYC

Thank you for sharing this! It shows logical thought and concern by an individual compatriot and medical professionals, and complete incompetence by CDC and leadership, plain as day! Also it shows how harsh a virus this is even for a healthy person. We have no idea what long term damage is done to those recovered and what will happen in the future if this becomes, like the flu, a virus that circulates the globe in perpetuity. The jokes on this thread will likely age very poorly.

A person with symptoms who recently arrived from Japan was not test for the virus on February 27, 2020. That’s about all we need to know to determine how leadership is handling this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, junkrigger said:

A person with symptoms who recently arrived from Japan was not test for the virus on February 27, 2020. That’s about all we need to know to determine how leadership is handling this.

Be careful, don't point out the flaws, they're doing everything right, they know stuff you don't know.

It's funny & sad at the same time that for criticising the rich & powerful, your words get ridiculed by your own middle-class community sharing the same faith. What a system. Gotta give credit for that, touché.

1 hour ago, junkrigger said:

Thank you for sharing this! It shows logical thought and concern by an individual compatriot and medical professionals, and complete incompetence by CDC and leadership, plain as day! Also it shows how harsh a virus this is even for a healthy person. We have no idea what long term damage is done to those recovered and what will happen in the future if this becomes, like the flu, a virus that circulates the globe in perpetuity. The jokes on this thread will likely age very poorly.

The jokes on this thread are meant to bring a little levity to a serious situation.  Nothing more.  No doubt there has been some serious lapses with handing of possibly infected people and red tape that needs to be worked out.  It seems that everything just takes a lot of time to implement, from the funding to implementation of procedures.  

I have dozens of friends that are in the law enforcement business, from FBI agents to US Marshalls to local police and none of them seem concerned of a major issue right now.  So either they are woefully unprepared or know something that I don't.  The next month or so will tell a lot.

• Like 2

The jokes on this thread are meant to bring a little levity to a serious situation.  Nothing more.  No doubt there has been some serious lapses with handing of possibly infected people and red tape that needs to be worked out.  It seems that everything just takes a lot of time to implement, from the funding to implementation of procedures.  
I have dozens of friends that are in the law enforcement business, from FBI agents to US Marshalls to local police and none of them seem concerned of a major issue right now.  So either they are woefully unprepared or know something that I don't.  The next month or so will tell a lot.

This we can all agree and hope for, the truth will out eventually.

It's not a bad idea to have some extra emergency rations and supplies at the ready. But, that"s something that if can be afforded is always a good idea.  Overblown or understated, This virus is a way to test ones own personal/Family safety systems and understand where we are each vulnerable. Changes can then be made By everyone (public and private) if an even much worse threat comes around.

4 hours ago, junkrigger said:

The jokes on this thread will likely age very poorly.

2 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

The jokes on this thread are meant to bring a little levity to a serious situation.  Nothing more. 

As forums go, Brickpicker is pretty savvy,clever, and fairly well informed(AKA old Know it alls) Glad to have this unique world perspective with actual individuals from around the globe. 

Oh, and we're adults that buy, sell, collect, and play with toys... we can take a joke:) 

Give thanks everyday, Be safe, and try not to touch your face:)

Caleb.

Edited by Belac

23 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

And fortunately you survived ... just like 98% of all people infected with "oh so dangerous" Corona will.

The whole issue with this virus is NOT about how dangerous or even infectuous it is (because it is not). Corona just shows us how tightly connected we are globally. And that's about it.

I tell you what, Hand , Foot and Mouth is nasty on adults.  My hands and feet looked like the "zombie apocalypse."  

Alright who’s cart is this:
9C8B339A-8409-4A73-8F73-E54B1127FD10.thumb.jpeg.99efa221a9bb9877ed4bf3f5f45ae4b6.jpeg

You have to ask? Lol

I’m wondering if my own measured, not so worried about it response is because I live in SoCal. I’ve got earthquake supplies - extra propane for my grill, tons of water, plenty of canned goods, a huge emergency dried food kit, etc.

but THIS is a top-notch marketing achievement by WHO! - to rename the COViD virus to "SARS-CoV-2 (2019-nCoV)" -. explanation? " .. because we have found out that it has more similarities to SARS virus.."

who THE HELL cares from the general population?!! NO-ONE .. you IDIOTS! .. this is how the panic spreads.. If you left the name COVID, 5+ billion ppl on this planet would not get MORE freighteined (the rest does not have either internet or news coverage) .. but Nooo..! you (WHO) need to be "precise".. like "this is not an epidemy - since it hasnt reached all the continents ye (only a matter of time).. . btw.. it is literally an epidemy right now? The only continent (constantly not inhabited) is the Antarctida..  

damn that totally incompetent WHO Chief Director (whatever his title is). !

My wife talked with other docs in her hospital today. This info was shared among hospitals & online. They all agree with the advice.

Corona Virus facts

1. Spread by droplets. Not airborne.  So the air on an airplane is fine. Touching an object then touching your mouth, eyes, or nose is how it’s spread.  Using a mask is basically to remind you not to touch your face. WASH hands OFTEN. Try not to pick your nose. N95 masks aren’t needed.

2. Update: Virus can live on objects (doorknobs, hand rails, toilet flusher, etc.) for a few hours to several days (possibly 9 days). Less in warmer, dry air, longest on glass, shortest on paper. Packages from China are considered safe.

*** note: this is huge for people like us who get stuff shipped directly from Asia. I’m going to leave boxes even from Amazon Japan in trash bags for 2 weeks just-case as boxes are routinely opened for inspection. ***

3. Incubation is 2-14 days. Our hospital is taking extra precautions for patients with fever and cough who have traveled within 14 days to China, Italy, Japan, Iran, and South Korea.

4. Interesting map with exposures by country

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

5. More travel info

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html

6. This season, in the US, there have been 16,000 deaths from the flu. See info graphic in comments. It’s not too late get your flu shot!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

interesting that your doc didnt mention some of the most practical precautions what to do - if you are uncertain.. alcohol based gels and other disinfection products are the first choice, in emergency even an ordinary window sills cleaner would come handy as its also based on an alcohol formula. There has been some videos on the net showing how to properly rub your hands - not just the fingertips, but both palms and back of your hands (up to your wrists) and such.

what gives me some creeps is that you (in US) have some victim to this and the gov authorities are uncertain how that one got infected. On the other hand given the size of the US population and number of performed tests so far it gives a a pretty large loophole for incidents such at these. I guess that - like in any other affected country in the world - the real number is at least 10x higher than right now (our country not excluded).

1 minute ago, crayxlp said:

interesting that your doc didnt mention some of the most practical precautions what to do - if you are uncertain.. alcohol based gels and other disinfection products are the first choice, in emergency even an ordinary window sills cleaner would come handy as its also based on an alcohol formula. There has been some videos on the net showing how to properly rub your hands - not just the fingertips, but both palms and back of your hands (up to your wrists) and such.

what gives me some creeps is that you (in US) have some victim to this and the gov authorities are uncertain how that one got infected. On the other hand given the size of the US population and number of performed tests so far it gives a a pretty large loophole for incidents such at these. I guess that - like in any other affected country in the world - the real number is at least 10x higher than right now (our country not excluded).

you had me at alcohol...  oh wait gels.  

11 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

you had me at alcohol...  oh wait gels.  

really?? What are your points regarding alcohol-based solutions? ( I do not mean "beverage-based" liquids such as beer, bourbon, etc.. but just pure technical "alcohol")

from your "very own yard" CDC report:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/guidance-prevent-spread.html

Perform hand hygiene frequently. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60 to 95% alcohol, covering all surfaces of your hands and rubbing them together until they feel dry. Soap and water should be used preferentially if hands are visibly dirty.

Edited by crayxlp